ADVERTISEMENT

Whats going on in Lancaster?

Dayton11

Two Year Starter
Feb 16, 2004
The Lancaster Bruins lost to Great Falls 1-0 in a 5 inning preseason tournament game on Friday. What in the heck is going on u there? I thought Lancaster had one of the strongest teams in the South Carolina this year. With the past success of the program, I never thought Lancaster would be in a situation to lose to a lower level 1A school. A lot of their kids played for the Dixie Pre-Majors State Championship team. I don't understand what's the problem with the program!!!! Can I get some in-site on this? A 1A school should never beat a 4A "powerhouse" in anything. In the tourney, Lancaster went 2-2, wins against Indian Land and Parkwood (N.C.) and loses to Andrew Jackson and Great Falls. They are not even the best team in the county. The years when Coach Berry was head coach and the same with Coach Williams, it was an honor to be from Lancaster South Carolina, But now Lancaster Baseball has to be the laughing stock of Lancaster. So please let me know, whats the deal with Lancaster.

A couple of opinions here.

1. I wouldn't place too much stock in pre-season tournaments. It's still a time where coaches and teams are trying to figure things out.

2. I'm not sure I've met anyone in the past 10 years that considers Lancaster a baseball powerhouse. And I certainly don't think many people (outside of Lancaster) consider them one of the strongest 4A teams in South Carolina. I would even argue that in most parts of the state the best players aren't even playing baseball in organized community leagues (Dixie, Little League, Cal Ripken League, etc...). So I think any success in those venues must be taken with a grain of salt.

The part about Coach Berry's teams is correct. I don't know about anything else in there. Lancaster hasn't been an elite baseball program in many years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT