ADVERTISEMENT

Will Summerville ever change?

If a kid is held back that is between he/she and the parents. I cannot say it is the "norm" for the upstate but it happens a lot. Some for grades, some for maturity and yes I am sure some to get a little advantage on the field by being a year older than others.

I wish I had held my boy back. I have never once heard of a parent who regretted holding their child back. I have often heard parents say they wish they would have held their kid back when he was younger. Even if things don't work out for the "sports" just being a year older going to college cannot hurt.

This is the norm around the country for many community schools. Summerville is certainly not the only place. The great things is that if you do not like it then you can move from there and place your child in a different environment.

Held mine back early .not in the ville district either.helps a lot with thier maturing.

The principal has principles. Might I suggest another year of middle school for you so that you can more accurately post on this site.

Don't have a child in that environment, so no need for me to move anywhere.

If a kid is held back that is between he/she and the parents. I cannot say it is the "norm" for the upstate but it happens a lot. Some for grades, some for maturity and yes I am sure some to get a little advantage on the field by being a year older than others.

I wish I had held my boy back. I have never once heard of a parent who regretted holding their child back. I have often heard parents say they wish they would have held their kid back when he was younger. Even if things don't work out for the "sports" just being a year older going to college cannot hurt.
Just curious. Does anyone have credible data that the person benefits academically by being 'held back? I thought the primary reason a person attends school is to benefit themselves academically, not sports. Maybe they need to have fifth year seniors in high school.

We had to fight the school board and principles for ours.it isnt a easy task .
We had some issues to deal with.
I can tell you that it made a big difference academically. Night and day.teachers glad to have him in class ect.hopefully he will continue and become something one day.
Plus good grades = a good attitude.less stress on us aswell.

Just curious. Does anyone have credible data that the person benefits academically by being 'held back? I thought the primary reason a person attends school is to benefit themselves academically, not sports. Maybe they need to have fifth year seniors in high school.

Know doubt that holding a child back early in life will help them academically. Especially for those that may have struggled in kindergarden or 1st grade. Some kids minds just develop a little slower than others.

However, I feel this post was started for the purpose of being held back for sports related performance. I would say that a athlete would have an advantage in middle school and probably 9th and 10th grade as to being held back. Can't say that a 19 year old senior has that big of advantage over a 18 year old senior.

We held one of our children back... in kindergarten... the Mrs. and I did not feel like our child was ready for 1st grade.

Not sure it was "successful" as this one still has to work twice as hard as our other kids just to make Honor Roll.

Good news is... he/she WORKS hard and doesn't give up.

:D

Bad news... doesn't care for sports.

:(

Know doubt that holding a child back early in life will help them academically. Especially for those that may have struggled in kindergarden or 1st grade. Some kids minds just develop a little slower than others.

However, I feel this post was started for the purpose of being held back for sports related performance. I would say that a athlete would have an advantage in middle school and probably 9th and 10th grade as to being held back. Can't say that a 19 year old senior has that big of advantage over a 18 year old senior.

I think it helps for recruiting purposes because they are more developed early in the process which gets them more interest. I also think that there is a huge difference between a 19 yr old senior and a 17 yr old senior. I definitely don't think it hurts them. Calvin Ridley couldn't play his senior year because he turned 20 before the season started, but was still the #1 WR in the country coming out of high school.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT