Anderson 1-2
Easley 0-2

League 8
Chapin/Newberry 1-0
West Columbia 1-0
Greenwood 1-1
Aiken 0-2

Last edited:
Anyone have updated records for League 7?

League 8 standings

Chapin-Newberry: 8-1
Aiken: 4-5
Greenwood: 4-5
West Columbia: 2-7

Each have 3 league games left this week

Only 3 games left? I think Spartanburg, Gaffney and Inman have 6 each, thanks to weather and Gaffney's extended vacation.

Anyone have updated records for League 7?

League 8 standings

Chapin-Newberry: 8-1
Aiken: 4-5
Greenwood: 4-5
West Columbia: 2-7

Each have 3 league games left this week

League 3/4 Standings as of June 25:

1. Camden 8-1
2. Sumter 7-3
3. Lexington 5-3
4. Hartsville 4-4
5. Manning 3-5
6. Orangeburg 2-6
7. Dalzell - 0-7

Yes, we only played a 12 game league schedule. I don't know how many game schedule each league played. I know Greenwood had an additional 9 games outside of league play, so we ended up with 21 games this season. One of those 9 got rained out halfway through, so our overall record will only reflect 20 games since we decided not to make up that one.

League 6 Inman Gaffney ect are playing 16 league games. League 5 Rock Hill Fort Mill Ect are only playing 12 league games just like you guys.

Well with the weather this week Cohaze i feel for those teams! Wouldn't be suprised to see Greer forfeit a lot of those!

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. I know Union has a doubleheader against Gaffney on Saturday. No word on when Sptbg and Gaffney will make up their 2 missed games. If this deal extends into next week you may see more than one team forfeiting.

League 6 Inman Gaffney ect are playing 16 league games. League 5 Rock Hill Fort Mill Ect are only playing 12 league games just like you guys.

Well with the weather this week Cohaze i feel for those teams! Wouldn't be suprised to see Greer forfeit a lot of those!

If Gaffney has 8 games left to play and Inman has 7, I don't see how they are going to get all of those in over a 5 day span before playoffs are slated to start. Will be interesting to see how the "good ole' boy network" handles this. Part of me wants it to rain for 3-4 days straight just to sit back and watch the clustered mess that is SC Legion Baseball work itself into a frenzy.

That being said, we did 8 games in 7 days last week. It can be done, but sucks for the pitching staff.
And is absolutely ridiculous as it shouldn't have to be done in the first place if teams play the schedule as it it created and stop manipulating it at their will. And the "sucks for the pitching staff" is exactly why they have had to decrease innings from 9 to 7, and implement pitch counts and mandatory rest days.

We did play the schedule as handed to us. We had a tournament and had to make up a game that was rained out at the beginning of the season. Not much you can do about that. We've followed all pitch count rules. As for days off, we played Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and tournament on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Just how the cookie crumbled for us. We only pitched 3 pitchers during the tournament that we don't normally use on a week to week basis.

We did play the schedule as handed to us. We had a tournament and had to make up a game that was rained out at the beginning of the season. Not much you can do about that. We've followed all pitch count rules. As for days off, we played Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and tournament on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Just how the cookie crumbled for us. We only pitched 3 pitchers during the tournament that we don't normally use on a week to week basis.
I apologize for the confusion in my post. My comments were not directed at you or your team. My frustration is to the idiocy with which some teams are allowed to seemingly do whatever they want while everyone else toes the line.

As of right now, Spartanburg is supposed to play 2 of their 3 remaining games against Gaffney today at 6:00 in Gaffney. With a couple of major storms bearing down on Gaffney, that appears unlikely to happen. If they are indeed rained out tonight, that will leave 6 games (3 with Gaffney) to be played in 3 days. Gaffney should be required to forfeit all 3 of those games.

Inman lost to Buffalo lost night, 4-3. Inman has 2 games to play with Gaffney. Spartanburg and Gaffney have 3 games to play. This thing is still wide open. But, this loss to Buffalo, and another recent loss to Greer, may come back to haunt Inman.

Inman lost to Buffalo lost night, 4-3. Inman has 2 games to play with Gaffney. Spartanburg and Gaffney have 3 games to play. This thing is still wide open. But, this loss to Buffalo, and another recent loss to Greer, may come back to haunt Inman.
Do you know when these games are?

Hard to get definite information since all 3 of these teams are pretty worthless when it comes to posting scores and schedule updates on their Facebook pages or the Legion site. However, I hear that Inman has a doubleheader with Gaffney on Saturday. Frankly, I'm not sure if the Spartanburg v. Gaffney games are gonna be played at all. The Gaffney coach was on Facebook talking crap about Spartanburg refusing to play them on Saturday. Would not surprise me if some of those games end up as forfeits. The question is which team will have to forfeit.

Hard to get definite information since all 3 of these teams are pretty worthless when it comes to posting scores and schedule updates on their Facebook pages or the Legion site. However, I hear that Inman has a doubleheader with Gaffney on Saturday. Frankly, I'm not sure if the Spartanburg v. Gaffney games are gonna be played at all. The Gaffney coach was on Facebook talking crap about Spartanburg refusing to play them on Saturday. Would not surprise me if some of those games end up as forfeits. The question is which team will have to forfeit.
Yes, weather has been an issue, but the biggest issue was Gaffney rescheduling their games during their self imposed "beach week" . The Gaffney coach shouldn't be talking crap to anyone....he caused this mess......and I'm not a Spartanburg fan....just calling it like I see it

Yes, weather has been an issue, but the biggest issue was Gaffney rescheduling their games during their self imposed "beach week" . The Gaffney coach shouldn't be talking crap to anyone....he caused this mess......and I'm not a Spartanburg fan....just calling it like I see it

This article in the Spartanburg paper sums up how well Gaffney's coach has been able to manipulate this entire season. http://www.goupstate.com/news/20180701/busy-week-ahead-for-american-legion-teams.
Love the quote "With the weather, we’ve had rainouts and then doubleheaders but haven’t really played enough to get in a rhythm,” Wright said. I think a few details were left out by said coach about the schedule.
Give the guy credit. He has masterfully manipulated the situation knowing he has the personnel to best handle cramming all these games in at his convenience. Smart dude. And idiotic allowance of the situation by the other coaches in the league.

And the inset on the bottom right that say that "*If Gaffney sweeps Thursday DH vs. Spartanburg, Friday’s games likely won’t be played" I don't believe is accurate. If Gaffney sweeps Spartanburg Thursday, and everything else in the loss column stays the same, the Friday games would have to be played to determine the second seed as Inman and Spartanburg would both have 6 losses. If they both end up tied and have to play a tiebreaker, you can thank Gaffney again for forcing those 2 teams to play yet ANOTHER game this week and further destroy whatever pitching the team that wins has left. Inman having kids on vacation, 7 on 7 football, etc hasn't helped their cause. But they played games as scheduled as they should have just like Spartanburg did early in the season missing kids on their roster as well. Gaffney has a "special" consideration in the league I guess.

Last edited:
Inman takes two from Buffalo tonight. Spartanburg and Gaffney split. Gaffney clinches first. If I am not mistaken, Inman and Spartanburg are both 9-6, each with a game to play against Gaffney. Spartanburg plays Gaffney Friday night. I assume the Inman v Gaffney game will be Saturday.

Just saw on Paul Martin's Twitter, @sportsverbs, that both Gaffney games may be forfeited and Spartanburg will play Inman for second place.

Legion claims to be "real baseball." You don't see strategic forfeits in real baseball. Play the games as scheduled.

Reactions: Dawgpoundit
Once again, as I have been saying (ok, complaining--but rightly so) Gaffney's coach has completely manipulated the ENTIRE league and it's coaches this entire season. This has ALL happened because opposing coaches ALLOWED it to happen. He knew going in that his team possessed the personnel to handle 6-7 games this week. Also knew that if things worked his way that he could FURTHER manipulate the league by forfeiting games to save his pitching and set up his rotation for next week. Meanwhile he gets to sit back and watch the same fools that he has been toying with, destroy any shot they have at progressing through the playoffs as their pitching will be shot with opening games Monday. Regardless of the winner of the Spartanburg/Inman debacle that Gaffney was ALLOWED to create....best of luck to the winner in trying to win near Charlotte next week. Hope Rock Hill sweeps the manipulator.

Not sure I'd give him that much credit. But, you're right that the opposing coaches should have held his feet to the prior. Too many games being postponed because kids and parents aren't committed to their teams. Gaffney may be the worst offender, and they do it year after year. But all of the local teams do it to some degree. I will say that I never thought I'd see a Jug Wallace team forfeiting games like this.

This all is true about the Gaffney coach but the ones who are really at fault is the state director and his eight committee men. They should enforce the rules. Give out the schedule and tell the coaches and athletic officers (if there are any) games are to be played on the dates and that the only way you reschedule is if you have a rainout period. But hey we all know that this is not going to happen. Not with the bunch that is running legion baseball. Some coaches get away with whatever they want because the powers to be don't have the balls to stop it. Sad but true.

This all is true about the Gaffney coach but the ones who are really at fault is the state director and his eight committee men. They should enforce the rules. Give out the schedule and tell the coaches and athletic officers (if there are any) games are to be played on the dates and that the only way you reschedule is if you have a rainout period. But hey we all know that this is not going to happen. Not with the bunch that is running legion baseball. Some coaches get away with whatever they want because the powers to be don't have the balls to stop it. Sad but true.
Unfortunately each league makes their own schedule, so it's up to that league to police themselves. The two leagues we've been affiliated with had no issues working out scheduling before the season. If there was a rain out, we worked to get it made up as soon as we can and if needed we made it a DH. Though that's the way we worked it out as ADs. I don't have answers for the other leagues, as they handle their own business.

Unfortunately each league makes their own schedule, so it's up to that league to police themselves. The two leagues we've been affiliated with had no issues working out scheduling before the season. If there was a rain out, we worked to get it made up as soon as we can and if needed we made it a DH. Though that's the way we worked it out as ADs. I don't have answers for the other leagues, as they handle their own business.
True and in your case you did it the right way. But think there are 7 or 8 leagues in the state and a director (baseball committee man) for each league so they should have some say so as to how each league does things but maybe not. At this point really doesn't matter does it. Move on and hopefully all will learn something from this.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT