ADVERTISEMENT

Airport Spring Practice

JB_a_Rivals

Varsity All American
May 7, 2003
Honestly, it's way early to say what a team looks like other than "they had helmets on" but I did have a chance to stop by Airport HS on Tuesday.

They will be good at the QB spot. Rising junior Brett Burnett has improved in his footwork and he already had a very good arm; as he matures from a cerebral standpoint, he's going to be one of the best in his class and could be the best passing quarterback in their region this year. (I think the Carr kid is going to be tough to argue with as the all-region pick at QB). Back up QB is sophomore Jon Eric Kirkland. I like this kid. He's tall (6-2 range) and athletic. He spins the ball very well. This is where NOT having the 8-quarter is going to hurt teams. This kid will have to play on Thursday night when he's very capable of playing Friday's as a solid back up.

I like Zach Feaster returning on both sides of the football. He's solid at LB and at RB. Jonathan Earle also returns at both positions but was working at LB yesterday.

Receivers looked young but they have Josh Tucker returning and he's one of the top athletes in the region. Sophomore CJ Wright will be a strong player at receiver and in the secondary. I also like Alec Spooner as an asset in the passing game; he has been used at every position on the O-line in the past two seasons and even plays some on the defensive side of the football.

There may have been some players missing but there didn't seem to be a lot of depth; but if they can stay healthy, this team could win the Region with the talent they have.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT