Spartanburg over Williamston (3-2)

Lower State

Florence over Manning-Santee (3-0)
Horry over West Columbia (3-2)
Sumter over Lexington (3-0)
Murrells Inlet over Orangeburg (3-2)
Chapin-Newberry over Hartsville (3-1)
Camden over Aiken (3-1)

Looks like you left off Greenwood v. Union Post 22. Unless they went ahead and forfeited and I just didn't hear about it.

Greenville over Fort Mill (3-2)
Lancaster over Greer (3-0)
Walhalla over Inman (3-1)
Williamston over Spartanburg (3-2)
York over Union (3-0)

Spartanburg defeats Williamston 11-10

Inman splits DH with Walhalla,

Inman splits with Walhalla. No way the team Walhalla has now is the same team they played with in the regular season. Me thinks that there has been some roster additions? If not, then the league they played in is absolutely nasty. I'd hate to play the team that won that league.

League 7 is a pretty good league. Walhalla beat Greenville twice this year and beat Greenwood. They have a pretty good team, they just lost 4 games due to forfeit, I believe and Anderson beat them everytime and all their games were close. I just don't think league 6 is very good from what I've seen. What the heck happened in Greenwood tonight?

Sumter p 15 wins in forfeit to Lexington Post 7. Lexington up 4/2 bottom of 7th and Sumter batter charges mound. 3 Post 7 players ejected. One Sumter player ejected that was on the field (batter) one of the fifteen Sumter player who left the bench ejected. If you leave the bench you should be out. No questions asked. If you are ejected during tournament play you should be out for the remainder of the tournament. P15's start a fight and are rewarded. Something seems wrong with this situation. The players ejected from post 7 should have been ejected no problems with that. Plate umpire had no control of game all night. Post 7 is struggling team but was in control of the game from the first inning. Post 7 could not complete the game because they did not have enough players.

Inman may well be in trouble. From what I hear, their No. 3 pitcher is out of town this week. According to the paper, they are playing back to back doubleheaders because of the travel. Well, I ain't buying it. I suspect the doubleheaders are so two teams that are short on pitching/players can get away with playing 4 7-inning games instead of 4 9-inning games.

League 7 is a pretty good league. Walhalla beat Greenville twice this year and beat Greenwood. They have a pretty good team, they just lost 4 games due to forfeit, I believe and Anderson beat them everytime and all their games were close. I just don't think league 6 is very good from what I've seen. What the heck happened in Greenwood tonight?

The player that charged the mound should be done for the year. Anybody that left the dugout should be suspended at least a game. Anybody that participated in the brawl, if you can call it that, should be suspended at least a game.

Sumter p 15 wins in forfeit to Lexington Post 7. Lexington up 4/2 bottom of 7th and Sumter batter charges mound. 3 Post 7 players ejected. One Sumter player ejected that was on the field (batter) one of the fifteen Sumter player who left the bench ejected. If you leave the bench you should be out. No questions asked. If you are ejected during tournament play you should be out for the remainder of the tournament. P15's start a fight and are rewarded. Something seems wrong with this situation. The players ejected from post 7 should have been ejected no problems with that. Plate umpire had no control of game all night. Post 7 is struggling team but was in control of the game from the first inning. Post 7 could not complete the game because they did not have enough players.

Reactions: Dak43
There have been some teams sent home in the last few years for this. Wonder what the state committee will do with this?

Maybe we should start a poll:

State Committee Will:
A. Suspend nobody, or
B. Suspend 1 kid from Sumter and 3 from Lexington, resulting in Lexington forfeiting an additional game, or games, depending on the length of suspension, or
C. Suspend multiple kids from both teams, resulting in both teams forfeiting, or
D. Revoke suspensions for all kids other than the one who charged the mound, revoke the forfeit, and order the game resumed at the point it was suspended,
E. Do away with the Code of Sportsmanship, or
F. Other.

There have been some teams sent home in the last few years for this. Wonder what the state committee will do with this?

Union upsets Greenwood 6-4 (Union leads 1-0)
Greenville won 11 to 1 vs Fort Mill (Greenville leads 1-0)
Spartanburg 11-10 over Williamston (Spartanburg leads 1-0)
Lancaster beats Greer score? (Lancaster leads 1-0)
Inman won game one 7-6 - Walhalla won game two 7-6. (Series is tied at 1)
York won by mercy rule, not sure of score over Union (York leads 1-0)

Maybe we should start a poll:

State Committee Will:
A. Suspend nobody, or
B. Suspend 1 kid from Sumter and 3 from Lexington, resulting in Lexington forfeiting an additional game, or games, depending on the length of suspension, or
C. Suspend multiple kids from both teams, resulting in both teams forfeiting, or
D. Revoke suspensions for all kids other than the one who charged the mound, revoke the forfeit, and order the game resumed at the point it was suspended,
E. Do away with the Code of Sportsmanship, or
F. Other.

Per American Legion rule book on conduct and sportsmanship:

D. Reinstatement. Any player, coach or manager suspended from a game in tournament play by an umpire for unsportsmanlike conduct is suspended for the remainder of the tournament unless reinstated by the tournament director. The tournament director’s decision is final.

I haven't look at that rule book in years. But, I seem to recall that there is some question as to what constitutes "tournament play." You would THINK it would include all playoff games. But, as I recall, some have argued in the past that it only includes the "state tournament."

Still, I have no doubt that some of the suspensions will be vacated. I just hope the state committee is not stupid enough to reinstate the Sumter player that charged the mound and put the opposing pitcher in a choke hold. This kid needs to be suspended from Legion play permanently.

The Sportsmanship Rule also states "...players who...conduct themselves in an unsportsmanlike manner THAT WOULD DISCREDIT THIS PROGRAM may be removed by the department baseball committee." If charging the mound and physically assaulting a pitcher doesn't qualify, what does?

I am told that Greer has folded, which means Lancaster gets the rest of the week off.

The State Committee was supposed to meet today to decide what to do about the Sumter v. Lexington fiasco. No word on what they decided. However, Game 2 of that series that was supposed to be played tonight has been postponed. So, they may be having trouble making up their minds.

Hearing that Sumter v. Lex that it will be a best of 3 series starting Thursday. All ejected players will be allowed to play all 3 remaining games. Good break for a pitching staff if that is the case, while the teams that follow the rules have to play a best-of 5-game series.

Hearing that Sumter v. Lex that it will be a best of 3 series starting Thursday. All ejected players will be allowed to play all 3 remaining games. Good break for a pitching staff if that is the case, while the teams that follow the rules have to play a best-of 5-game series.
Baseball committee did everything they could to protect Sumter. First two games are a forfeit now a best of 3. The player who charged the mound (unfortunately he is a USC commit) is able to play without suffering any consequence.

Just a question here but does Sumter have an automatic bid for state tourney since they are host?
Yes and in my opinion this is why the committee did not punish sumter. Charge the mound in a game you are losing and get rewarded is the clear message from the committee.

Inman wins the series over Walhalla (3-1)
Williamston and Spartanburg tied (1-1)
Greenwood and Union tied (1-1)
Lancaster wins the series over Greer (3-0)
Greenville leads Fort Mill (2-0)
Union vs York Series ?

2nd Round -

Inman vs Lancaster (Only series to be decided).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT