ADVERTISEMENT

Best of all Classifications!?

HasBeen125

Two Year Starter
Aug 31, 2011
I was thinking....is their a 2A-1A Wrestler that could possibly be the best of all classifications? Wrestlers like Murphy (Liberty), Taylor (Chesnee) and Strong (Cheraw). I love pulling for the little guys. Also who is the best Individual in each weight class of all classifications?

I'll bite... If I was building a team.
106 Patterson BHP
113 White Eat
120 Aquino Dor
126 Smith WO
132 Jenkins Bft
138 Leitten Ft ml
145 Emery RB
152 North LE
160 is the weakest weight class in the state... No real names jump out here
170 Parker Ft D
182 Newton EMR
195 Smith BHP
220 Trephan AR
Hwt James WO

Reactions: HasBeen125
Good lineup. I agree 160 is weak. I would love to see Murphy vs North and Taylor vs Parker. I have never seen Parker wrestle but have seen Newton and i believe Taylor wins that match with ease. You don't see Strong (Cheraw) Getting in their? He looks like a monster but i haven't got to see him actually wrestle. I hate that the 170's are JR's except Taylor so they won't meet at North vs South. We could see Taylor and Newton though in a exhibition. North is a SR and Murphy is a JR so we won't get to see that either. That is a very tough lineup but im sure someone has a different lineup. Lets see it.

126 - Best might be Zach Jurey from Summerville or Soriano from Stratford
132 - Tanner Chavis - Boiling Springs or Trevor Mansfield
145 - Jacob Hart - FM - he beat River Bluff kid at Wildcat Duals two weeks ago or Roderick Whitlock - South Pointe

106 - Patterson - BHP
113- White - Eastside
120 - Aquino - Dorman
126 - Jurey - Summerville
132- Chavis - Boiling Springs
138 - Leitten - Fort Mill
145 - Hart - Fort Mill
152 - North - Lugoff
160 - Tello - Riverside
170 - Parker - Fort D
182 - Newton- Emerald
195 - Sayegh - Hillcrest
220- Trephan - Ashley Ridge
HWT - James - West Oak

106 - Patterson - BHP
113- White - Eastside
120 - Aquino - Dorman
126 - Jurey - Summerville
132- Chavis - Boiling Springs
138 - Leitten - Fort Mill
145 - Hart - Fort Mill
152 - North - Lugoff
160 - Tello - Riverside
170 - Parker - Fort D
182 - Newton- Emerald
195 - Sayegh - Hillcrest
220- Trephan - Ashley Ridge
HWT - James - West Oak
I agree with everything you've got here.. Only difference would be Rojas from Boiling Springs at 182. I think he beats Newton.

Is that the BE kid that lost to Taylor last year in the finals? I don't think he beats Newton, and though I haven't seen him wrestle this year I would assume Newton is on a mission. Bridesmaid 3x, 2 of them being to legit dudes (idk who Tom Murphy is) That BE kid will be a force though in the next couple of years

Jordan Aluyan at 106... He was an underweight 106 Freshman last year. This year he has grown into the weight and I believe best in the state at 106.

A lot of these Teams and Wrestlers will be in Chapin High wrestling this Friday and Saturday at the Military Duels (no Eastside or West Oak).

There will be sixteen 2016 State Placers (1st-4th) and twenty 2016 State Qualifiers (5th-8th) participating.

There will be 63 wrestlers participating who are currently ranked, including 12 who are ranked #1

Is that the BE kid that lost to Taylor last year in the finals? I don't think he beats Newton, and though I haven't seen him wrestle this year I would assume Newton is on a mission. Bridesmaid 3x, 2 of them being to legit dudes (idk who Tom Murphy is) That BE kid will be a force though in the next couple of years

That's the guy. To be fair, I have only seen him wrestle twice, the semi and final of Clash, but was extremely impressed. Incredible feel. I haven't seen Newton but know he's solid, no question.

Battery Creek has a solid tournament this weekend with several ranked wrestlers. Hilton Head, Beaufort, Stratford, Ashley Ridge, are a few of the 20 entries. Heard a few upperstate teams are coming but not confirmed.

My notes show Hart lost to Roderick. Emery beat Roderick. Hart lost at Slam to Buford kid in a close one 3-2. Emery won the Slam beating Buford kid 4-1. I have watched them both wrestle many times. I'd say it is a toss-up. Hart keeps it going and lives up to his name. Would be a great 5A state final.

Hart beat Buford kid at the Coastal Clash and he beat Emery at Lexington Duals after Christmas. You are right, could be a great finals! Others have a shot too.

106 - Shiffer - Hill
113 - White - ES
120 - Aquino - Dor
126 - Smith - WO
132 - Mansfield - BHP
138 - Leitten - FTM
145 - Emery - RB
152 - Caspio - Dor
160 - McKinney - Pow
170 - Christie - HH
182 - Newton - Emr
195 - Caleb Hill - Eas
220 - Stiffler - SV
285 - James - WO

I don't know Stiffler at all, but had to pick him because of his name

Reactions: BuckkillerSC
Heavy - Chapin Heavyweight is tough (don't know name)
113 - Lexington Brasseur
126 - West Oak Smith (Jurey got pinned 1st period at Wildcat by 5A #1)
145 - South Point Roderick (both Hart & Emery tough) Would love to have all 3 in the same classification
160 - I guess other Parker twin is injured or he would be 160
132 - Belton HP - Mansfield

Once Regions roll around, weight changes could make some changes on these lists.

Too many classifications for a state our size. It would be great to let the best prove it on the mat. We miss some good wrestling when the best don't meet, unless they end up at the same events.

Taylor wins at 170 or 182..whatever he wants. So you guys don't think Murphy (Liberty) has no
chance?

106 - Shiffer - Hill
113 - White - ES
120 - Aquino - Dor
126 - Smith - WO
132 - Mansfield - BHP
138 - Leitten - FTM
145 - Emery - RB
152 - Caspio - Dor
160 - McKinney - Pow
170 - Christie - HH
182 - Newton - Emr
195 - Caleb Hill - Eas
220 - Stiffler - SV
285 - James - WO

James was beaten at Coastal Clash by our heavyweight. The Chapin kid might be the best heavy in the state.

I don't get to see the Liberty kid wrestle so I have no comment but the Daniels kid from BC isn't in the top 10 of choices

I don't get to see the Liberty kid wrestle so I have no comment but the Daniels kid from BC isn't in the top 10 of choices
Will be a four time placer (4th,2nd,1st, plus this year) have over 200 wins, and has wins over other guys ranked 1st at this time. I just think he is in the mix.

106 - Shiffer - Hill
113 - White - ES
120 - Aquino - Dor
126 - Smith - WO
132 - Mansfield - BHP
138 - Leitten - FTM
145 - Emery - RB
152 - Caspio - Dor
160 - McKinney - Pow
170 - Christie - HH
182 - Newton - Emr
195 - Caleb Hill - Eas
220 - Stiffler - SV
285 - James - WO

going to change my pics up a bit

106 - Addison
113 - White
120 - Aquino
126 - Jenkins
132 - Mansfield
138 - Leitten
145 - Stephenson
152 - Caspio
160 - McKinney
170 - Parker
182 - Rojas
195 - Stiffler
220 - Trephan
285 - James

going to change my pics up a bit

106 - Addison
113 - White
120 - Aquino
126 - Jenkins
132 - Mansfield
138 - Leitten
145 - Stephenson
152 - Caspio
160 - McKinney
170 - Parker
182 - Rojas
195 - Stiffler
220 - Trephan
285 - James

Brasseur beat Jordie 7-0 at JL Mann Duals. 145 will be a great state tournament

AH well well well....I guess you wouldn't let that slip past me
After that match Tim Brasseur (Jacob Brasseurs dad) and I had a great conversation about Jordie and Jacob.. Jordie has never beaten Jacob and he just cannot seem to unlock the Brasseur puzzle! Still Jacob is a Junior and Jordie is a sophomore and that gives Jordie time. Maybe next year, maybe not. I really do like both Tim and Jacob,. unlike a lot of others here, they are a real class act.

He's good... But I'm hearing he hurt pretty bad. Might explain why he missed so much time this year

The interesting thing about other people predicting how boys will do is none of them live in the shoes of the actual wrestler. Now we can all look back at our comments and see how we did.

What I saw the past two weeks was many 14-18 year old boys, who also read the post on this site by the way, wrestling their butts off and with tons of heart. We should all filter our comments with this in mind. Congrats to all the qualifiers and placers in the toughest sport their is!

106 – Aluyan-FD Congrats to him, Nice pick SButler
113 - Brassuer – Lex Good kid, gets it done w/o fanfare, puts his time in
120 - Aquino – Dor Great job, puts the time in, love his mama yelling to him
126 – Wilkins - RH Don’t blame the kid for 2 refs ineptness, they both wrestled hard
132 – Chavis- BS Congrats to a good kid, puts his time in
138 - Leitten – FTM 3X, what can you say, hits the cross wrist tilt in his sleep
145 - Emery – RB Great job, easily showed how good he is
152 - Caspio – Dor Great job, fun to watch, exciting match
160 – Parker- FD Great job, tough as nails
170 – Parker-FD Great job, tough as nails in a nail biter
182 – Rojas-BS Great job, way to go out with success in football & wrestling
195 – Montgomery-DF Congrats to a good kid
220 – Trephan- AR Great job, only a soph
285 – Jackson-FD Great match with 2 of the best heavies I’ve seen

Takeaways
  • Fort Dorchester will be tough for 2017
  • Hillcrest has some hammers, hadn’t seen them much this year

• River Bluff-with one champ, showed what team is all about winning Dual Team State

• Rock Hill grinding it out, always tough

The great thing about the state tournament is all the different story lines that play out.........match ups with top kids who haven't faced each other at all..... kids losing in Upper/Lower State , making the adjustments and getting the win at states.....kids finally breaking through after years of being close.........the annual upsets.... you see it all.

On the officiating side, there is always work that needs to be done. My question is do they have a meeting before the tournament starts with the coaches and officials. A non contentious/casual environment where coaches get to bring up certain scenarios....ones they have seen called differently during the season...ones that they felt weren't called correctly the week before at Upper/Lower state......a chance to get clarification on a rule and how it's going to be called. I think that needs to happen before these big events to try and educate/refresh..eliminate any grey area.

Last edited:
The great thing about the state tournament is all the different story lines that play out.........match ups with top kids who haven't faced each other at all..... kids losing in Upper/Lower State , making the adjustments and getting the win at states.....kids finally breaking through after years of being close.........the annual upsets.... you see it all.

On the officiating side, there is always work that needs to be done. My question is do they still have a meeting before the tournament starts with the coaches and officials. A non contentious/casual environment where coaches get to bring up certain scenarios....ones they have seen called differently during the season...ones that they felt weren't called correctly the week before at Upper/Lower state......a chance to get clarification on a rule and how it's going to be called. I think that needs to happen before these big events to try and promote a clean/competitive event.

The first thing that should be fixed is stall warnings and calls. Define it, then enforce it.

The first thing that should be fixed is stall warnings and calls. Define it, then enforce it.

I can say this. One SC referee wrestling official was as the Super 32 tournament this past year and saw how well and how fast "stalling" was called. He made the comment that SC would start doing that and improve the stalling calls. YOU FAILED and YOU know who YOU ARE!!!!!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT