ADVERTISEMENT

Big League/Pony/Dixie Leagues Question

Skools

Four Year Letterman
Jul 10, 2009
Does anyone have any experience with either of these three leagues with the 18+ divisions.

In SC, Big League is an absolute joke. What they usually do is handpick a few teams and play a few pretend games in January, then Easley hosts the big tournament late in the summer. Haven't heard anything at all about them this year. Not sure if they actually played any games this year or not. I think the tournament is coming up sometime soon.

Not sure if there's a Dixie Seniors program left in SC or not. There used to be a few teams around, but I haven't heard anything about them lately.

I don't recall there ever being a true Pony affiliated team in SC, at least not in recent memory.

Cohaze is right. The individual Big League districts play shortened, rules altered games in Jan. in order to "qualify" the individual players. If I remember correctly, it was a 12 game schedule to make a minimimum requirement of 8 games played per player. The shortened rules altered games are legal in that Little League int'l allows leagues to establish their own rules in regular season play, as long as the rules apply to all teams. These games have been known to feature batters going to the plate with an automatic full count and lasting 3-4 innings.
District 1 (Easley, Anderson, et al) has an automatic berth in the BLWS as the host team. One other team from S.C can make it in through first becoming the State Champ (either through a state tourney or default if no other districts field a post season entry) and then traveling to Florida and winning the South East regionals.

Several years ago, six I think, Greer and Laurens had Dixie Majors/Seniors leagues and post season teams. I don't know if they are still active in this or not.
This post was edited on 7/24 7:41 PM by Dogvendor

I am a coach in the upper state Clover/Rock Hill/Chester/Fort Mill area and we have high school baseball from Feb-May. Legion baseball from May-July but there is nothing from Sept-Nov. I am talking about some sort of fall baseball league. I am not looking to start a league in my town but create a Big League/Pony/Dixie to play other towns.

To my knowledge, none of the organizations that you mention are active in the fall. Fall has always been the domain of the various travel and tournament teams/organizations.

Several years back, we had in G'ville and Spartanburg counties, a fall league for high school teams. It was intentionally created to be inexpensive, with special rules regarding innings pitched etc. With the SCHSL rules that were in effect at the time, the teams were coached by non staffers with games played at neutral locations. We would get in 12 - 14 games per year for umpire fees and t-shirt/jerseys. Under this format, three teams can make for a decent fall.

You could look into expanding the Diamond Prospects Fall League into your area.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT