ADVERTISEMENT

Blue Chip Football Academy?

Sep 14, 2016
It seems My son is getting invites to a lot of camps this year. Anybody have any experience with the Blue Chip football Academy (camp). He got invited to this camp last year, but we weren't able to attend. Got another invite this year, and we are considering it. I know it would be great college exposure, but I wasn't sure if the exposure justified the cost with this camp. Would love to hear from someone who actually has a son or player attend.

Thanks!

First Junior Day Camp and now Blue Chip Football Academy. Seems SOMEONE knows about your son!

:D

A quick Google of this BCFA group shows a couple posts from a forum several years ago asking about them, but no reviews of any kind. Their website is extremely simple - 1 page with an email.

There is also a youtube video of a session they had a couple years ago.

I've never head of them. Like most people, I am a skeptic about these type of camps. If you just have money to burn, go. Otherwise, go the the schools he could play for that he might be interested in... spend your money at THEIR camps.

Good luck.

:cool:

He is getting a lot more looks from colleges. Mostly 1-AA, D2, and a couple smaller D1s. I'm skeptical on this camp because the D1/1AA coaches in attendance are grad students who have recently become assistants. Most are also Defensive coaches. He's a WR/QB/Athlete. It's a 2 day camp where they provide food and housing, so I understand why is may be a little more expensive than the typical day camp.

Just trying to weigh out the best exposure and training for the price. Thanks again for the advice.

School camps are the way to go to get exposure. Anything else is a scam, as stated earlier. It's just those guys padding their pockets with your hard earned money.

Not sure if I agree 100% on school camps. We've done that route and those seem more like guys padding their pockets. Have you seen how much the Clemson camp is, and how many kids are there? No way you can get any individual attention. The smaller school, maybe, but the D1's it's about the money.

Don't waste your time or money. Take your kid to one day camps at the schools he has a legit shot at playing for. Some of the D1 schools have coaches from 1AA, D2 and D3 coaches working their camps also.

Not sure if I agree 100% on school camps. We've done that route and those seem more like guys padding their pockets. Have you seen how much the Clemson camp is, and how many kids are there? No way you can get any individual attention. The smaller school, maybe, but the D1's it's about the money.

As a coach, I'll be straight up with you, camps at the college are the way to do it. The combines and all of those type of things are money makers. Trust me, even with the number of kids at a camp like Clemson, kids are still getting noticed. Also, check out the one day camps that schools offer on like Saturdays and Sundays. Not as many attendees as full team camps.

Reactions: CantThrowIt
I will answer for him - if he doesn't mind.

One Day camps are when colleges have a "Camp" on their campus. It is usually 3.5 hours (no lunch) or 7 hours (lunch provided). Some schools will have 3 or 4 of these throughout the summer. USC Gamecocks are trying a new approach - they are having like 20 One Day Camps this summer. They did it last year and Muschamp said this led to a lot of exposure and opportunities for players. I think I remember him saying that of their 22 signees they saw 20 of them at their One Day Camps.

Clemson does two 3-day camps. Yes, they are crowded, yes a lot of money is made off them, but if your son is on their board, he WILL get 1-on-1 with his position coach. If you are very high on their boards, you will get a 1-on-1 with Coach Swinney himself. Probably even a personal golf cart ride to practice or back to the dorms.

I have looked around, and unfortunately, not a lot of the smaller schools have put up their Summer Camp schedules, yet. Most D-I schools already have theirs up, however, so if you want to take a look at those just google the head coach's name with "football camp" after it and viola, you can find their websites with camps schedules.

Check back in a month for the smaller schools like Coastal, Wofford, Campbell, Western Carolina, etc. They should be putting them up over the next few weeks so people can plan their summers.

Good luck,

Just wanted to chime in...I agree with the post above about CU...it's worth the money and exposure. These coaches are always networking. Your kid may not be what CU is looking for but there are instances where a guy like Jeff Scott may call up one of his coaching buds at Western Carolina or somewhere and and put your kid's name out there. I know a couple of kids that got their exposure to other schools by attending a bigger school camp. Furman has a new coach and should have their camp info up soon as well.

Agree with both posts above. Check back towards the end of spring practices at these colleges, and they should have their summer camp schedules finalized. The camp scene at Clemson is great because college coaches from smaller schools work the camp, and if Clemson can't take a prospect, often they are exposed to other schools while at camp.

ADVERTISEMENT