ADVERTISEMENT

Burnout / Drawing the short straw

BS100

Two Year Starter
Feb 26, 2013
How a player responds to drawing a short straw, and/or suffering from burnout, has more to do with if they make it to the college level than anything else, In my opinion.

At one point in time, a great player will get the "short straw". By that I mean, other professional coaches are making decision regarding your child's play. Eventually you get what I call the "short straw”. This is when someone else gets your spot. For whatever reason.

I personally have watched more / many families quit/leave softball only because the player got the short straw. Happens every day. All the time. The players playing college softball today. Most all got the short straw. Their response was to elevate above. Just remember that,as parents. Many times the parents drive this reaction.

Burnout ..; it is a factor always. Agian, I have watched players never burn out ... Well, until the very end. Then it is over for good, forever. Some players, like mine, in a decade and a half, have burned out more than once.

You will find as a parent, once your child burns out, she is really saying "I am not playing for mom and dad anymore" ...; tough to accept for any parent.

BUT, then the amazing may happen. They return to the field .... And it is what the player wants.

The ultimate players who reach the highest level ... No short straw ... No burnout ;.. With ability are the top 1%. Most do not fall in that level,hence the crux of a college softball coach/recruiter/coach?

How do players handle the short straw? How about burnout? This parent has seen both. She is now on the field because that is what SHE wants.... PARENTS should grasp this. If not, I told you, to help prepare for the end game well in advance.

Softball is a grind. The player wanting it, and the player only, is what makes it. As a parent, all young
Can do is try to manipulate your players mind. The stick and ball. The physicals happen early. The money (college) is a mind thing.

Last edited:
BS100- Some well made points and thoughts. I have often wondered about the kids who have played for many years before college rolls around. Parents and coaches have put the kids out there for college recruiting in hopes of, I guess, getting some kind of substantial aid for college expenses. I know that each college depending on its ranking, D1, D2 and etc. has a limit they can offer. Maybe that's why all parents want their kid to get a D1 offer.

In the end, is the cost of being a member of a travel ball team for 6 - 10 years or so worth it? If you add up the costs of joining, of paying for entry into tournaments, paying for travel, lodging and meals, the cost of lessons and equipment, it seems you would have been better off just saving the money you would have spent.

Elliesmom, you mention the money equation.

In my opinion, the most important thing a parent can do is accurately evaluate your players ability, potential, and mindset. Difficult to do, but is so, so important in making the money thing work.

All too often, I see parents who think their player is better than she actually is. If only we (parents) will spend more money on individual coaches, super org practice and exposure. Sure, this gets you player ahead a little. How much? For how much money?

We personally took the local route. Granted we live in the upstate which has many options. Tyger River Complex changed the equation for many locals. Now a slew of college coaches come to this park to watch/evaluate play. So for your travel group to recommend traveling to exotic, far away places may not make the most financial sense. Depending on the players ability.

Our case was unique. My opinion will get blasted by folks like NAJacket who is on the other side. We stayed exclusively local. Got offers. Settled with a local junior college. After one year, made back all the money given out. Maybe there was better opportunity. Probably. But they all cost more.

Living at home, for college expenses, saves the most money. That is an expense, about $10,000 plus per year, no college pays for.

We are just an ordinary college softball family. Nothing really great. The great thing is the money equation worked, and continues to work, because we seeked, and embraced the local resources. Always remember the money aspect. Yet also understand softball is a lifestyle. Much of the money spent is for something the family enjoys

For a select few softball players, they are extremely driven, talented, and want to seek their absolute highest potential. Fine, I agree with them. Others players, are near and want to make softball be a benefit for their family both economically, and socially. It is wise to carefully evaluate where your family sits in this equation.

In the end, if your player is good enough, the rewards are there. Both financially, and in respect. Do watch the money. Many will criticize. But if the play is there, it falls on deaf ears.

The short answer is "keep your player on the field". There are cheap ways to do this. To advance your player in life is to make enjoyment on keeping softball players on the field. I mean, really, that is all a parent can do, and in the end is enough. South Carolina is noted for softball because they honor and respect this value from families who do all they can to allow, embrace, their daughters whatever the age, to stay on the softball field.

It is real. SC values its softball players.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT