ADVERTISEMENT

Columbia Area Top 4A/5A Team for 2016-2017 Year

Jun 3, 2016
Who could or should be the top wrestling team in the Columbia area next year?
Who might be young with potential in the coming year or years?
Who finished in the top rankings this past spring but we're senior heavy and might be a little weaker this coming year?
I look forward to the conversation, just looking for straight up info. Thx.

In my mind Lugoff - Elgin has to be near or at the top of the Midland's 4A teams. 1 returning state champ, another returning state placer and then a state qualifier all return.

Chapin who will be in 4A with LE next season (up from 3A) returns 5 SQ's.

Those two it seems would be the top 2 4A schools in the Columbia area going into 16-17.

With a returning SQ at Heavy, their 170, 195, and 220 were all a match away from going to state this past year. Those 4 all return. I'd say that's a good start. Lower and middle weights on paper didn't look that impressive. RB seems to be very top heavy. Good chance they could get 4 kids to state next year. Team wise I don't know. Looks like they need to get working on those middle and lower weights.

Now this is all based on just looking at the lower state qualifier results from February. I don't know enough about their program or how they work to really say anything too in depth. They did have a few kids at JV state it looked like. That's always a plus.

ADVERTISEMENT