ADVERTISEMENT

Fall Practice Survey

PalmettoBBFan

All-State Pick
Jul 27, 2009
I'm curious as to how high schools are handling fall practice under the new rules. I know some started as soon as the first practice period/window opened in September and continued until it closed a couple of weeks ago. Others apparently didn't do much of anything during the first period.

1. What did your team do during the First open period? Did they practice at all? If so, how many days per week? What was the focus? Skills? Conditioning? Is your team A/AA/AAA/AAAA?

2. What is your team going to do when the Second period opens up in December?

3. What have you heard about what other teams are doing?

4. Is the new rule better, worse, too early to tell?

5. Who is participating? Head coach? Assistant coaches?

6. Are they inviting new players who intend to tryout, or just returning players?

4A-
1. Ran from September 6 to mid-October. Basic fundamentals. Monday-Wednesday
2. Second open season throwing program/individual hitting/defensive groups
3. Haven't heard other teams doing much.
4. Love the new rule.
5. All coaches involved.
6. All players intending to try-out are invited. Newcomers and returning players.

1.Full practice Monday,Tuesday,and Thursday.
2.Conditioning(Arms)Long toss and pitchers throwing.(Flat Ground Work and from the mound)
3.Pitchers would throw in scrimmages inter squads(Set Number of Pitches working on location mechanics)
4.Hitting Drills and Defensive drills.
5.We really took advantage of the new rule.
6.Closed down period weight training and running until Dec Opens up again.
7.Dec Opens Pitchers Throwing,Batting Skills.
8.We only opened it up to returning Varsity and JV players.
9.I love this rule change.
10.All assitant coaches involved.Head Coach would come after football practice.

I ran into an upstate AAAA coach a couple of weeks ago. His team started in September and worked hard until the final day in October. I saw tweets from a couple of other AAAA schools indicating that they intended to do the same. But, I know of one AAAA school that didn't do anything until the last 10 days of the 1st period.

It will be interesting to see how many teams will have their guys out practicing over Christmas break. THOSE are the guys that REALLY want it.

We are a very young AAA school with only one Senior on our varsity squad the rest are juniors,so this new rule has helped us alot.It also shows you which kids want it and which don't.Even though it is not mandatory.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT