ADVERTISEMENT

Final in 9, AR 4-Byrnes 3

Rooster726

Rookie
Apr 30, 2010
Incredible game by both teams with both pitchers going the distance. Word has it Cunningham threw close to 160 and Livingston threw 125. Crazy....

It was incredible. I'm usually pretty decent at replaying a game in my head as to exactly what happened when but there were so many big moments in this game that I can break them all down again. First, kudos to White Knoll for hosting, their coaches were working hard to get the field and game set up just right. Leadoff for Byrnes opens the game with a homer and you knew it was going to be a good one. AR tied it at 1 with good ol "get em on, get em over, get em in" sac bunt and sac fly. Byrnes Cunningham doubled to start the 4th or 5th and they get 2, AR then tied it again with the help of a couple of critical errors. Both teams had bases loaded and 1 out in 7th and failed to score. Both pitchers were outstanding going 9, Livingston threw around 130 and no doubt that Cunningham threw over 150. AR was aided by another error in bottom 9 and loaded bases again, this time getting a sac fly to win the state championship. The replacement ss for AR played like Cal Ripken in the field and was flawless, and ironically drove in the game winner. I hate that was three trips for Byrnes with no title, but three trips to finals tells you about the program, and their coach seems first class. As for AR, I got to watch them a lot in these playoffs and you just have to feel good for them. To play without your mid inf and have replacements step up speaks volumes for their coach and program as well as the players. I guess they have some other pitchers, but I never saw them throw anyone but the two guys in the games I watched. Just two cool customers that went along with a team that made all the plays when they needed. I mentioned earlier that they seemed to have that little karma going and after what I witnessed tonight it seems it was meant to be. Good sportsmanship by Byrnes afterwards to congratulate the winners and a great ending to this high school baseball season. See ya next February!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT