ADVERTISEMENT

Game 2:Blythewood 7 Lex 2

Wow. Another 7 error game for game 2. Not your usual state championship caliber games.
Curiosity question - Why would you take a high school championship game and play it on a field with completely different dimensions than the players are used to playing on?
Certainly going to take the long ball out of the game. It is supposed to be part of the game.
Maybe this year they will play the NCAA championship game at Yankee stadium and make em all hit with wood bats.

Question(and it made no difference on th outcome), the Blythewood pitcher was visted twice on the mound in the top of seventh by his coaches but he didn't have to come out. What's the rule here?

The rule was changed for NFHS. A total of 4 mound visits per game can be made to a pitcher. You can make 3 in one inning but on the 4th visit a change must be made.

Originally posted by Ball Hound:
Wow. Another 7 error game for game 2. Not your usual state championship caliber games.
Curiosity question - Why would you take a high school championship game and play it on a field with completely different dimensions than the players are used to playing on?
Certainly going to take the long ball out of the game. It is supposed to be part of the game.
Maybe this year they will play the NCAA championship game at Yankee stadium and make em all hit with wood bats.
Both schools have to agree where the neutral site game is going to be...and trust me there are a few guys from each team that could still go deep in that stadium. They might not take it out to dead center, but down the line and shots to true left and right could have a chance.

This post was edited on 5/16 11:12 AM by DaCocks23

Yes, both teams can go deep in that park. Wouldn't be surprised if a few already have during summer ball. Not many being hit out to dead center with the bbcor bats, so don't expect to see that.

Playing at Carolina will definitely have an effect on either teams chances of hitting a home run; however, it will also open up A LOT more room in the gaps that these guys aren't used to which will the chances of extra base hits way up.

On the flip side, on my best educated guess game 3 will be a repeat of game 1 with regards to the pitching. If both of those guys are on their games any type of extra base hit will be a major plus!

It will be nice not to be cramped up in bleachers or standing behind 5 rows of people along the fences to watch an entire state game. High school ballparks are usually a nightmare for spectators.

Just an opinion but high school baseball state championships are supposed to be packed into high school facilities.The crowd is what every young man lives for that has ever been in that situation. Trust me. Playing in a huge facility like that is going to make that crowd look like nobody showed. The place holds 10,000 and we will be lucky to get 2000.Gonna look empty. Everyone of these boys has played on this field already in summerball but now we are going to rob them of that AWESOME atmosphere they have experienced in the last two games. Just a shame.

In NHFS, a team gets three "defensive conferences" during the first seven innings. By rule, if a coach holds a meeting in which the pitcher IS removed from pitching, then it is NOT a "defensive conference". A team can use their defensive conferences whenever and however they want. After the three "defensive conferences" have been used (assuming we are not in extra innings) the pitcher MUST be removed each and every subsequent "defensive conference". In extra-innings, each team gets one "defensive conference" per inning (with the pitcher having to be removed on a second or subsequent "defensive conference" in the same extra inning.)

Pro rules do not have the concept of "defensive conferences". Pro rules have "visits" (to the mound). In pro rules, each team is allowed one mound visit per pitcher per inning. On a second visit to the same pitcher in the same inning, the pitcher must be removed from the game. It is not a visit if the manager/coach makes a pitching change. For instance, the manager comes out to the mound and removes the starting pitcher. The manager waits at the mound for the relief pitcher to enter the game, and he talks to the relief pitcher when he gets to the mounds (before the relief pitcher takes his warm-up throws). This is NOT a visit.

This post was edited on 5/16 9:28 PM by lawump

Yeah, as someone who doesn't attend that many high school games , I'm looking forward to the game at USC . My rear end is still sore from 13 innings on the metal bleachers at AC Flora last night (Guess I should be happy I had a seat, lol) .
Looks like the kid from Hammond managed to get one out at Carolina Stadium .

I agree that a state play-off game at the high school is something special but there is a healthy percentage of people who attend but are relegated to standing along the fences for the entirety of the game behind people and get only glimpses of plays while bobbing and weaving trying to see what happened.

The stands are so crowded if you did get a seat there is no way you can leave it for the duration. High schools are just not set up to handle this type of crowd. Some relatives and friends (especially older ones) and spectators with no dog in the fight, a lot of times, choose to forgo attending. Should the series go to the third game, the crowd will be even larger than the first two. Having that game in CS will make it much more attractive to many to spend an evening at a good championship ballgame. I'm willing to bet that more relatives of each kid including grandparents, who just can't physically endure 2.5 hours at a packed high school venu, will turn out at this place to watch the game in comfort.

While CS is a pretty big place and can comfortably seat 6,400, I would think that the estimated crowd for this game of 2,000+ is nothing to sneeze at and will provide a lot of noise. The majority of D1 colleges across the country would kill for a crowd of this size. I would also venture to guess that most of those at the game will choose to fill seats from dugout to dug out so the fan factor will be prevalent for each team.

I'm willing to bet that with the known comforts and space at CS the crowd that would normally show up for a game at a cramped HS facility will be at least 20% larger.
This post was edited on 5/17 9:24 AM by 2seamspin

Looks to be 5,000+ here tonight and louder than an SEC game.

Build it and they will come!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT