ADVERTISEMENT

Greenville County coaches that need to go!

My picks are Travelers Rest and Eastside- 2worst coaching staffs in SC High School football!

Eastside should have went last year except the principal gave him another season so he could coach his son as a senior. Travelers Rest gets a pass for one more year this was his first year and he did beat Eastside lol. Wade Hampton and Mann should join Eastside in looking for new coaches. Amazing how Eastside, Wade Hampton and Mann can all be competitive in every other sport but football.

Jhawk4, I have heard the same thing about the Eastside coach. Heard he was pretty much, out the door, but pitched a fit to coach his son's senior year. That is sad, because I sat in the auditorium at the coach/parent meeting after his hire and a parent asked him what he planned to do at Eastside. His response was shocking and unfortunately true...."I plan to do more for this kid than I did for my first"...referring to his two sons. In 4 years at Eastside, playing in the worst region in SC and possibly the country he has never mustered up more than 2 region wins. And, his only offense was to throw virtually every pass to his son. I guess he did what he "planned" to do, unfortunately while he helped pad his son's stats the other kids on the team were forced to watch a pathetic offense that could never win.

And, as far as TR goes, normally I would agree about giving a coach more than one year...but this region is so bad how do you only win 1 region game in this region? Maybe he will be able to do something next year.
This post was edited on 11/2 6:53 AM by Impact 77

Been watchin Greenville County forever. And we have all discussed to death the lesser support GC football gets in comparison to other districts that actually think football is important. Regardless, my take on the programs in question around the county that seem to be struggling below the hallowed mediocrity level that is cause for celebration:

Eastside -- Unless something crazy happens, Thompson is done. Done little in four years except try to get his son a scholarship. Should have been gone last year, but that they let hI'm come back to coach his son in his senior year gives a glaring example of how little football matters in GC.

TR -- Can't run the guy after one year. And does it really matter. My spies in TR have told me for years that they don't think the principal even wants a winning program as it might threaten his political power if he had to deal with a winning coach. I scoffed at that at first, but the curious hires made overy the last decade, when I am well aware of some very competent coaches that applied and didnt get a sniff, have made me believe this might be true.

JL Mann -- A train wreck. I wonder where all those Parkins Mill Rd parents are that four years ago were convinced that the only thing they needed to catch Dorman and Byrnes was to get rid of Crocker. How's that working out for you folks?

Wade Hampton -- Not sure that it is really fair to judge them currently. They are in effect a 3A high school forced into 4A because they put the fine arts center on campus and inherited a ton of those kids into their student numbers. Would imagine Haltiwanger is feeling hamstrung because the chances of them competing are slim. Have heard from some good sources that he has tried to get out over the last few years but just couldn't get the right opportunity. All that being said, he might be doing his best coaching job this year, believe it or not, with only one win. He has nothing. From a talent standpoint, it is a miracle they have won one. I don't think he gets run, nor should he. Nobody is going to win there under the current conditions. But it wouldn't surprise me at all if he found something else.

Originally posted by olcoach04:
Been watchin Greenville County forever. And we have all discussed to death the lesser support GC football gets in comparison to other districts that actually think football is important. Regardless, my take on the programs in question around the county that seem to be struggling below the hallowed mediocrity level that is cause for celebration:

Eastside -- Unless something crazy happens, Thompson is done. Done little in four years except try to get his son a scholarship. Should have been gone last year, but that they let hI'm come back to coach his son in his senior year gives a glaring example of how little football matters in GC.

TR -- Can't run the guy after one year. And does it really matter. My spies in TR have told me for years that they don't think the principal even wants a winning program as it might threaten his political power if he had to deal with a winning coach. I scoffed at that at first, but the curious hires made overy the last decade, when I am well aware of some very competent coaches that applied and didnt get a sniff, have made me believe this might be true.

JL Mann -- A train wreck. I wonder where all those Parkins Mill Rd parents are that four years ago were convinced that the only thing they needed to catch Dorman and Byrnes was to get rid of Crocker. How's that working out for you folks?

Wade Hampton -- Not sure that it is really fair to judge them currently. They are in effect a 3A high school forced into 4A because they put the fine arts center on campus and inherited a ton of those kids into their student numbers. Would imagine Haltiwanger is feeling hamstrung because the chances of them competing are slim. Have heard from some good sources that he has tried to get out over the last few years but just couldn't get the right opportunity. All that being said, he might be doing his best coaching job this year, believe it or not, with only one win. He has nothing. From a talent standpoint, it is a miracle they have won one. I don't think he gets run, nor should he. Nobody is going to win there under the current conditions. But it wouldn't surprise me at all if he found something else.

Yeah but the same can be said about Mann. Mann has the largest special
needs program in the county. They have a huge Physical Handicapped
program. Last count Mann had close to 300 kids who were in their special
needs program that count against enrollment but wont help them at all
in sports. WH is competitive in all the other sports but football so I
dont think that of a 3A playing 4A flies. No reason they cant compete
with a Riverside, Mauldin, Mann, woodmont, or Eastside. Yes I know they
did beat Mann but barely, Do I think they can play with the big boys
nope but they should be competitive with the bottom tier of the region
and its not even close. Why will WH get a pass but Eastside doesnt? I'm not saying they will be world beaters but again no reason they cant play with the other GC 4A teams with exception of Hillcrest. WH has as much talent if not more than Eastside does. Just dont buy that WH gets a pass.

I suppose you are correct. Haltiwanger has been over there about 10 years. Easy to forget he has been there that long. Don't expect him to really compete with the Spartanburg types, but you are correct in that the program should be in a place where they shouldn't be losing to Riverside and Eastside. May be time for a new voice.

Just out of curiosity, are there any GC programs over the past 40 years that have actually been competitive for any length of time? I know Greer has had a few years, Greenville had a couple of playoff years, but has anyone really experienced serious success with deep runs over a period of time? I've watched GC sports for quite awhile and in all honesty I can't remember anyone in the district showing signs that a GC program can actually sustain any length of success. I know we all enjoy beating up the coaches, programs and the district, but can success really be accomplished in GC football or is it just that proverbial dead horse we are beating on?

Not sure of your standard for "serious success", but Greer has won 16 region titles since 1975, and won 3 State titles between 1989-2003.

Lefty does have a point. Greenville had a pretty consistent run as a formidable challenger over the span of a little better than a decade. But I can think of no other program that has sustained any success outside of Greer. And I almost don't count Greer as it has always been a bit of a different animal from the other GC schools. Greer is about the only school in the county where it had that small town influence upon it with cradle to grave fans. Most all of the other schools have a much more transient fan base, where folks get involved, but then they are gone with their child's graduation. And teams in the county have had there days in the sun when they had a streak of above average talent roll through at one time. So maybe we should just give every coach a total pass for the limitations we have discussed forever that GC has. But then on the flip side, I understand the other side of the argument. No one is expecting GC teams to challenge the elite, but being less than competitive against your Greenville County peers consistently gives the feeling that one can just wander around doing little. I suppose any change would need to start at the top, and with school administrations. In this day and time, with all the financial straps that you always hear about with the educational system, I just don't see more support from the top happening anytime soon.

I agree with the no consistency in winning in these regions, especially Peach Blossom. I went to school in this region and my kids have been going through it since 2008. I do also agree that Greer and Greenville are the only two that have had any success, but Greer does have a totally different mentality about football...not willing to stink and just accept because they are in Greenville County. I understand that they (Greenville County Schools) may not be able to compete so well once they leave their region...but why can they only win 1 or no games in their own region AND its always ok...no one ever expects more? I don't think saying that they've never been good, means they never should be, the kids that show up for every practice, 7 on 7, scrimmage and games deserve better! Spartanburg County is a perfect example of...if you care about football, you have many successful football programs within your district...not just one or two! I know they are dealing with more talent at each school, but without the coaching, you would still see one or two great programs and the rest would lose every game.
This post was edited on 11/6 12:08 PM by Impact 77

IMO it all goes back to the kids jumping from school to school. It may not be as noticeable for football but look at other sports and their cycles of success. This school is known now for it's baseball players, that school is the "basketball" school, this other school over here lost kids to such and such...it goes on and on. Our local rec program hosted a S&C clinic one Saturday and had 2 well known guys working with the kids. One was a current All SEC performer and the other a current NFL free agent. Of the 12 to 15 HS kids in attendance I bet 6 or 7 of them started their asnwer the same way when asked where they played..."Well right now I go to _____ but I'm transferring to....." or "Well I live in _____ but I have special permission to go to..."

It's one thing to transfer because of bad influence, low classroom performance, etc. but a totally different animal when you have mom or dad saying the coach claims my boy is a Safety, I'm taking him elsewhere because we think he's a RB and we want him to get the best coaching possible. Round and round it goes...

I personally don't have any problems with an athlete going to whatever school he feels benefits him best. Nobody seems to care if a kid goes to a Riverside because of academics, or if a kid goes to a particular school because their band program is better. So it should be in sports. I can easily see why a decent football player wouldn't want to waste four years in the mess that has been Eastside football for the last decade, or one of the many GC schools that seems to have their football programs that are stuck in mediocrity, or worse.

The biggest problem in Greenville County, is Greenville County. The emphasis to excel just isn't there. And after a while it has to wear on the head coaches. Their hands are often tied with the hiring of assistants, unlike other districts that seem to clear the teaching slots needed when the coach needs to hire a particular guy. So if the support is not going to come from the district, and the individual administrators at the schools, I don't think you will see any change. You will see a school go on a run when they get some talented kids coming through at one time, but consistency will always be a problem.

Reactions: Greatwhiteshark
I agree ol coach a kid shouldn't be held down to keep from bettering themselves. The problem is these kids, much like society now, want instant success and gratification. It's all "me". You may have 3 potentially good players that would rather go to 2 or 3 diff schools instead of staying together and building their program. Each kid thinks he's the man and wants to be the focal point. It's killing team sports. It's way too common to hear how bad a team does but "my boy did his part, here's his stats and Hudl link." I'm just old school I guess. I remember as a kid wanting to be #40, #6 or some other kid I watched in HS without even knowing their names. Now it's "I'm going to Byrnes so I can be Marcus Lattimore, screw these other guys."
Posted from Rivals Mobile

As a former GC Football player standout sort of speak. One thing I see in GC High School sports more than some of the other counties is the politics and favortism on these football teams. Byrnes,Dorman, Spartan High, Dutch Fork, Summerville, Christ Church....etc type schools have some politics but at the end of the day its the best players on the field at crunch time, its what we have we are going to use to win, spread the wealth, use every bit of talent that you have to get the job done! GC has some messed coaching that allow there emotions get in the way of whats best for the program. They look out for self gratification rather than team gratification. The coaches that are out for self stats or parent satisfaction need to leave coaching all together in my opinion. I see so much of this in GC High School football. The behind the scenes stuff is ridiculous.

In what manner. You must be a bit more specific. It is a well know theme from the Eastside folks that Thompson seemingly did little more than try to use his offense to highlight his son. Give us a clue on the programs you are talking about in reference to playing favorites to the detriment of the teams, etc.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT