ADVERTISEMENT

Greenville High?

Ataboy,

Don't think you have your facts straight. Can you name the 11 defensive starters on the 2009-10 team at Greenville? All were at Greenville from the time they were in 9th grade and no way 9 used fake adresses to get in the school. That is simply not true.

TBowe

Not going to call out kids by name. And again as I said, I don't blame them and I actually think they should be allowed to do it. But many, many from that era lived in Carolina's geo-code and said as much with their own mouths. There were many on both sides of the ball that lived all over the place. I know of at least 5 or 6 from another school's geo-code other than Carolina that moved but never moved. They are usually fine with sharing the info after the fact. Again, as I stated, not implicating the coaching staff, I don't believe they were recruited, they just wanted to be there so they found a way. Doesn't really matter, and doesn't really reflect badly on the coaches in any way. They coached the kids they had and they worked to create an environment that attracted those kids. Nothing wrong with that. In fact, I am in favor on open enrollment and open recruiting. Go for it. I will just have to agree to disagree with you on the issue though. This is not what I heard from a guy that knew a guy. It is what I know for myself. Who cares how they got there in terms of how it reflects on your time there or those teams. The fact is there is nothing pulling those kids to want to be there now. That is the discussion here.

By the way, the poster above that mentions Berea. That is how Coach Green's great teams back in the day came to be. The bus that rolled through that little area where Parker, Greenville, and Carolina all meet Berea and picked up whoever jumped on board. Greenville was down when Berea was up. That is no coincidence. And it has long been widely known by anyone who was coaching in that era.

Glad someone who actually knows something spoke up. TBowe would know more than anyone else who has posted on this thread what the real facts are. Almost everything else on this thread is the same tired, jealous rumors that have been circulating since GHS started their run of success. Were there some football players at GHS who were coded elsewhere? Of course. Kids like Sorrells, Lentz and some others. And they were LEGIT academic magnet students. To say that there was rampant cheating is just sour grapes, plain and simple. Some people just love to kick a program when it's down. I don't get it.

AtaBoy,

Just think your numbers may be skewed a bit. Of course we had kids who were not geo-coded for GHS. I just don't think it was as many as you have indicated. Like, Gville78 said, the majority were legit magnet students. Don't forget, Pam Player was the magnet coordinator during that time. She was a tremendous coach herself and understood the process. We did not have a panel. You had to meet a certain "score" and we usually met that score with our magnet athletes.

Back to the kids, I took a lot of kids home during my years at that school and I never drove too far out of my way after practice to get to their houses. Ultimately, you are right, who cares how they got there. They wanted to come and they were happy to be a part of a successful program. It is sad to see what is happening now. I for one, along with many others on that staff, would love to go back to that time and do it all over again!!! We had lots of fun!!!

TBowe

Reactions: upstate fan
RRA,

I bet. Kids like Sorrells, Boswell, Jamison, and Peppers running around must have been pretty fun. I know it was not any fun to coach against in 04 and 05.

TBowe

RRA,

I bet. Kids like Sorrells, Boswell, Jamison, and Peppers running around must have been pretty fun. I know it was not any fun to coach against in 04 and 05.

TBowe
Kids played hard and were ultra coachable and we all had a great time!
It was a different place to work then- but a great place! Great support.

Reactions: upstate fan
This makes it impossible to streamline your program. The Byrnes High Schools and Hillcrest High Schools of the world can identify their future players early and streamline things early in the athletes' careers. This isn't just a football problem. All of the sports programs deal with it.

Greenville did change it's football culture and although they couldn't win state, they became a very good program, and they could play with anyone. The 90's were average, but from 2001-2010 they were 97-27. The culture and the attitude of the program changed. People keep talking about kids coming in from other parts of the district. That's the way the county has it set up for Greenville High. They're the only high school in the county that doesn't get the majority of kids from at least one middle school. They get kids from six different middle schools. It's not like they can pick from the litter of those kids either.They get a far less than majority pull from those schools. This makes it really challenging for football in particular. Developing a D-team(7th/8th grade) has been nearly impossible from a numbers/interest standpoint. From 2011-2013 they slipped to 20-15. 2014-2015 teams are now 4-13. Sure, they moved up to 4A, but that's still unacceptable. Numbers and talent obviously matter, but the well isn't completely dry at Greenville. Utilizing the talent you have, motivating players, and showing some competiveness and improvement are things good coaches do.

The teams like Byrnes, Hillcrest, BHP, Greer, etc. are also pretty much the only high schools in their area without driving a little. Greenville High is less than or within 10 miles of 4 maybe 5 other schools. GC schools are stacked on top of each other.

Byrnes and BHP also are in single high school districts. Same goes for Dorman, Spartanburg, etc..... If you move in Anderson 2 you go to BHP, if you move into D5 you go to Byrnes, etc.....

Greer although a GC school maintains some local small town community identity which helps. Hillcrest's days are numbered. Recent games this season have shown that 2014 was a magical year for the rams and that's about all it was.

Some have mentioned this about the GCSD but 8th graders are more or less free agents. They have 14 public high schools to choose from, 3 charter schools and 3 private schools (not counting the SCISAA private schools). Not only will kids choose a school because of football but I personally know kids who have chosen a school because of it's theater department.

I do think though that Greenville's drop / maintaining of their 4A status in 2016 through 2018 and probably beyond will help them as they will be going up against like sized enrollments in all their sports.

Agree with you about Hillcrest. I won't call last year a fluke because they did have talent down there. And the moon and stars aligned for everything to work out right. But talent has never been the problem at Hillcrest, so I will give Porter credit for making it finally come together. Playing Mann as close as they did, and letting Greenville hang around, should be causes of concern though.

Agree with you about Hillcrest. I won't call last year a fluke because they did have talent down there. And the moon and stars aligned for everything to work out right. But talent has never been the problem at Hillcrest, so I will give Porter credit for making it finally come together. Playing Mann as close as they did, and letting Greenville hang around, should be causes of concern though.

I do think though that Simpsonville Rec has a strong enough program that Hillcrest could be sustained as a playoff caliber program. Not sure about an annual state contender.

Has a program fallen so far so fast? Wow! A home loss, on senior night, to Woodmont. 4-15 record the past two seasons.

Doubt seriously that will happen, but it would be fun. And would certainly change things at GHS. And the smallest things were taken care of. Always remember being impressed that they took the time to paint the field like a college program would. Haven't seen that since. Little things add up.

Doubt seriously that will happen, but it would be fun. And would certainly change things at GHS. And the smallest things were taken care of. Always remember being impressed that they took the time to paint the field like a college program would. Haven't seen that since. Little things add up.

Had a lot of fun on those Wed. nights at Sirrine painting that field! Some great stories.

TBowe

I have no dog in the fight here, but wasn't Greenville one of the few magnet schools in the last heyday? Now, every school in Greenville County is a magnet of something so anybody is free to move.

So it would seem....

Or else y'all just have 6 message board posters... who post a lot.

:D
Probably a little of both. There are people that care about Greenville High football, but the mentality of the parents and the athletic department isn't what it should be. Instead of striving to be better, everyone has decided to use the lame excuse that Greenville is the second smallest school in 4A and that they should be in 3A using the 10 day numbers. Sometimes you face adversity and you either rise up and overcome it or you look for excuses. Sadly, the community and coaches want to continue to complain about 4A. This rubs off on the kids in all sports. That will change next year with Greenville staying in 4A of the 5 class system. So, we'll see what excuses this staff will have next year when they're losing. Good coaching can make up for a lot. Greenville will never be close to the size of schools like Dorman and Hillcrest, but good coaching could keep Greenville competitive in 4A. That just isn't the case.

Its a shame to be 1-9 with the talent Greenville has. Ask anyone from Hillcrest and Laurens what they wittnessed this year.You can't blame that on the kids or bad luck..........

Someone above posted about how parents, and supporters, are crying the blues because they believe they are unjustly forced to play a 4A schedule. Although I remember a day not to long ago where that very 3A program loved the non region portion of their schedule just so they could schedule the 4A teams that would play them. Seems like they went through a period where they played Gaffney every year. And this was when Gaffney was amongst the elites of 4A. And Greenville gave them all they wanted and more. Greenville used to embrace the opportunity to play bigger schools. Now it seems they are whining because they have to play Laurens and the like?

Great point

Someone above posted about how parents, and supporters, are crying the blues because they believe they are unjustly forced to play a 4A schedule. Although I remember a day not to long ago where that very 3A program loved the non region portion of their schedule just so they could schedule the 4A teams that would play them. Seems like they went through a period where they played Gaffney every year. And this was when Gaffney was amongst the elites of 4A. And Greenville gave them all they wanted and more. Greenville used to embrace the opportunity to play bigger schools. Now it seems they are whining because they have to play Laurens and the like?

A spot on assessment. During the Sosebee and Magdic years, Greenville played 4A schools like Gaffney, Rock Hill, Fort Dorchester, and a few others, and BEAT those teams. I also saw them wear out the likes of Spartanburg, Hillcrest, Hanna, and Greenwood in jamborees and scrimmages. Nobody was whining back then about playing 4A schools. There was even an attitude of "Bring 'em on" back then.

A spot on assessment. During the Sosebee and Magdic years, Greenville played 4A schools like Gaffney, Rock Hill, Fort Dorchester, and a few others, and BEAT those teams. I also saw them wear out the likes of Spartanburg, Hillcrest, Hanna, and Greenwood in jamborees and scrimmages. Nobody was whining back then about playing 4A schools. There was even an attitude of "Bring 'em on" back then.
Nail meet hammer. Failing organizations and that were previously successful look for excuses and deflecting blame rather than looking in the mirror. The problem might be the captain of the ship or the powers that be above him. I'm sure Greenville will solve this by scheduling the likes of Riverside, TR, Wade Hampton, and Berea next year, rather than call a spade a spade and say "a 4-18 record in two years is unacceptable, playing 4A or 3A." The old mentality of Greenville High seems to be fading.

Every program goes through struggles but greenville had been falling for a while. Hard to want to play when you have no support especially for their home games. All it will take is a little spark to get people back into it. Can't complain about scheduling because your not playing the toughest teams in 4a.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT