ADVERTISEMENT

Grown Ups!

Mar 29, 2014
Do the folks on this site honestly think that these grown men and women umpires are purposely blowing calls in order for the local team to win? Could be they are just that bad! I've seen some bad officiating all across the state. I am from Hartsville and I complained about the Officiating At Timken Park last year, guess what, I complained about the officiating in Hartsville. It's easy to look for an out when things don't go your way.

Their are a bunch of great umpires in this SC state. Fortunately our team gets them, so it is very hard to comment on what 3A is getting. But the bottom line is, since it is a double elimination tourney, calls will go your way sometimes and against you sometimes.

Unless there is a clear and definitive argument for BIAS, your team simply has to rise above and win. If a softball game comes down to one "bad" call, then your team did not do enough to win.

Again, this poster is the wrong to ask, for from my perspective the umpiring I have seen has been the best in SC, and in the Nation.

If you want to see "homer" umpiring, just go to TN and play a tourney like we did this year. The one (1) loss (out of 2 L's) Boiling Springs had happened in TN, against a top team. I am convinced it was a completely rigged game, much like a wrestling match. We took our lumps, walked away proud, and went home to our much preferred state of SC.

And did not really complain about it, except on this post a month later.

Last edited:
Reactions: catdog1
A lot of problems I have seen this year and every year is when the umpire changes his strike zone every inning. That makes it hard on both pitcher and batter. Plus some umpires come up from rec ball and they don't understand the strike zone and the way some of these girls can make the ball move. One on the field clinic in January doesn't make an umpire, so basically it's on the job training.My thinking is they need to have 3 umps a game and let the newer umps work with the experienced ones and let them talk it over between innings on things they see wrong or right. Very seldom do you see a field ump say anything to a plate ump, even if he don't know what he is doing. 3 umps = more money, so I doubt if that will happen. What are we going to do when the older guys leave? Glad I won't have a dog in the fight after this year, but feel sorry for softball.

The complaints I have this year are umpires that are out of position to make the call. Younger ones that apparently don't have enough training or experience and older ones that are too lazy to get in the right spot of the field to make the proper call. Also, I've seen way too many times where the umpire than can actually track MOVEMENT on pitches takes the plate for the JV game and the one that has no idea how fast these kids can throw and move the ball takes the plate for the Varsity game. Seriously?

Ump at Laurens 2 nights ago, young guy looks like he is 25 tops. Tells our catcher not to frame pitches because it's showing him up.

Also charged our HC for visit to circle when 3b coach called offensive huddle.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT