ADVERTISEMENT

Hanna at Westside

jaa9263

Rookie
Nov 8, 2014
I watched one of the best high school games last night. Both teams played their butts off. We broke the state record for most INT's in a year. We have to have one of the best defensive backfields ever. It was truly a pleasure to just watch. We won the game but Hanna could have won it just as easily.

Hanna has to be one of the biggest transformations as a team that I have ever witnessed. They were horrible last year. Now I hope we don't see them again in the playoffs. If we play them 10 times they would win 5.

Tprice, you were right. Their QB is going to be special. For a freshman he did extremely well. Made 2 mistakes and we picked him off in regulation. The pick in overtime was just a desperation. He had to throw it on 4th and goal cause he was being sacked. The one part of the game that they did dominate us was their front 4 on defense. The paper says we rushed 35 times for 37 yds. They sacked our QB several times.

The only blemish of the game was the way we acted after we picked the ball off to win. About 80% of our team ran over to Hanna's sideline and started taunting them and their fans. This is how major fights break out. We are very lucky that a brawl did not happen. We have got to learn to win and lose with class. Very disappointed in the way our "team" represented my side of town.

Reactions: larry merriweather
Were u not there? Hanna students chants were disrespectful all game so they deserved it

Yes I was there. You mean to tell me that because their student section was chanting a certain name (QB) suck that we as a team are to run over to their sidelines and act like we did. Not midfield, but all the way over.

You realize if a brawl would have happened, we would be at fault. The film would have been sent to the league and they would suspend all who were fighting and probably anyone over there. That would have been all our starters. Who would play the next game in the playoffs? I guess you would have been ok to send our JV team to go and play the likes of Spartanburg or Byrnes.

No I don't think this is correct behavior but all season we have been at fault for everything with nobody looking at what goes on the other side of the field. We were labeled since the woodmont game but nobody talks about what goes on the other side. Yes the team could do better about their actions but everyone put the blame on westside. These are kids on the field who make mistakes. It's part of coaching to correct these actions but you have to look at both sides of the story. Yes I'm fully aware of the consequences of the actions that can happen from such actions.

I'll tell u what's the joke at westside is the student section. Never heard them so quite. They don't cheer. It's pitiful.

Back to the real story. Hanna has to be the most improved team I have seen all season. I watched them play Mauldin during our bye week and to last night is a complete change for there defensive. Anderson county is going to send some tough teams to the playoffs

I was not going to mention this but seems like the right venue . Two weeks ago my son was taking money up for our player that has cancer,.when he asked a Westside parent for a donation .This man got in his face stating the only thing he was donating to Greenwood was an a... whipping . I was shocked that an adult would act this way to a high school kid . I hope he enjoyed his ride back to Anderson. I know these people are everywhere and I'm sure we have them also . Just hated that my kid had to experience such ignorance.

Eagleguy, I understand but I would ask you remove that comment before I lower the boom on GWD for charging a NON PROFIT RADIO station to broadcast from your stadium, talk about LOW CLASS

However The person you mentioned is our prayers though and hope it all turns out

Greenwood HIGH could take the $200 they charged a NON PROFIT RADIO and donate it to that fund and I would feel MUCH better about it .

On the other hand that was a GREAT ballgame last night between TLH and WHS, one of those it is almost unfair one teams had to loose

Told you folks the young TLH offense is something to reckon with, scary when you see how young they are and how composed they are at that age

Great to see Region 1 AAAA decided in Westside SC

Proud of BOTH of our Anderson Dist 5 teams and the turnaround they have made

Reactions: Upsouth811
Sir I have no idea what you are talking about. If you feel that the radio station was slighted then you may LOWER YOUR BOOM to any or all . The school board of district 50 would be glad to hear your side of the story. I wish you and the Westside Rams good luck in the playoffs. I fail to see however how the incident I described has anything to do with your radio station. My son was attacked be one of your fans not two companies run by adults who were given free choice whether or not to do business.

On the other hand that was a GREAT ballgame last night between TLH and WHS, one of those it is almost unfair one teams had to loose

Told you folks the young TLH offense is something to reckon with, scary when you see how young they are and how composed they are at that age

Don't forget it was one heck of a game as always called by the voice of the rams. If someone has never heard you call a game they need to come out. One of the best I've heard in hsf.

Any estimate of how many people were in attendance last night?

Last edited:
Don't forget it was one heck of a game as always called by the voice of the rams. If someone has never heard you call a game they need to come out. One of the best I've heard in hsf.

Any estimate of how many people were in attendance last night?

Everyone is telling me that even the broadcasters on the FSU/Clemson game today talked about the game in WESTSIDE SC and estimated crowd of 10K.

I talke with Superintendent today and while we do not know exact numbers that is a good guess.

One of the best crowds I have EVER seen in WESTSIDE SC

Sir I have no idea what you are talking about. If you feel that the radio station was slighted then you may LOWER YOUR BOOM to any or all . The school board of district 50 would be glad to hear your side of the story. I wish you and the Westside Rams good luck in the playoffs. I fail to see however how the incident I described has anything to do with your radio station. My son was attacked be one of your fans not two companies run by adults who were given free choice whether or not to do business.

I did talk personally with Pippen and also emailed Shell Dula(Chairman of Dist Board of Trustees) to no avail

Price:

Not trying to put you on the spot and if you don't want to give an opinion I understand.

What was your thoughts on how our team ran over to their sidelines? Am I right about if there would have been a fight or brawl that our guys would have been suspended or even expelled?

The broadcast rights are the exclusive property of the home school. Radio stations should be accustomed to paying the fees. Did the opposition know ahead of time that the station was non- profit? Even so, they still may follow their policy established beforehand and charge the fee. Some schools will not charge a fee if you do not charge their station the fee when they visit you.

Oh. And good luck to both teams in 2 weeks - both with home field advantage? I'm sure Westwood and Laurens will bring radio crews. Will they be charged a fee?

The broadcast rights are the exclusive property of the home school. Radio stations should be accustomed to paying the fees. Did the opposition know ahead of time that the station was non- profit? Even so, they still may follow their policy established beforehand and charge the fee. Some schools will not charge a fee if you do not charge their station the fee when they visit you.

Let me quickly explain our WHS radio, the WHS Booster Club actually leases air time from WANS 1280am.107.7 fm. We seel enough ads to cover costs of leased air time and ALL proceeds from after that go to support the WHS Booster Club. We try and sell about 15-20 ads so that it will not cost the booster club anything and can give a little support to the booster club. Greg Wiles has been our radio guy for 29 yrs and has NEVER been paid one dime to broadcast. I assit him on away games and he and I actually buy 3 ads between us(one for my busnesses, one for his and we split one for our church) and we pay for the ads these are not "comped". We are not even, nor would we accept, reimbursement for travel or anything. .

I explained all this to Coach Pippen and he would not budge and I also emailed Shell Dula as well

NOBODY else charges radio, NOBODY that we have ever come across other than once you get into the playoffs you pay the SCHSL for any playoff game.

I understand that most if not all radio broadcasts are profit minded but ours truly is not, it is something we actually have fun doing and is for the benefit of fans that can not make the games.

Greg and I paid the $200 to gwd personally to keep our kids from having money taken out of their funds to help them, now I realize $200 is not a huge amount of money but it is the prinicipal behind it .

I am over this now and I am the first to admit we are always treated GREAT at GWD HS everytime we go and I will not say a bad thing about anyone there

Price:

Not trying to put you on the spot and if you don't want to give an opinion I understand.

What was your thoughts on how our team ran over to their sidelines? Am I right about if there would have been a fight or brawl that our guys would have been suspended or even expelled?

I hate to admit it but I did not notice it, with our new sound system/jumbotron I do not do anything more than announce the games and once it is over I went down to radio booth, as I always do at home games, to wind up radio show.

Kids will be kids and BOTH schools do that but to answer your question I DO NOT LIKE IT, if I had seen it while PA was still up I would have told them to get back on our side.

Not a huge deal and it was actually a very CLEAN game, only 1 personal foul all night, between 2 very good teams. I know alot/most of the TLH players and fans and I was getting texts left and right about everyone enjoying the huge crowd, atmosphere and a great game the entire night.

THIS WAS great for the city of Anderson, heck our game was even mentioned on the Clemson/FSU game in 4th qtr right after a play by one of my all time favorite HS players Ben Boulware(told this young man when he was in 9th grade he had special talent )

Now a couple years ago under the previous coaches the games between TLH/WHS had become UGLY. Lot of mouthing, personal fouls, ejections and etc. We had our Superintendent sit down with current coaches and tell them this would STOP and it pretty much has

I would have not been surprised if TLH had won that their fans/kids would have been over toward the WHS side, just a good rivarly that FINALLY had a huge impact, for so many years this game has not meant a lot as far as Region Champs or playoffs .

TLH will be VERY tough the next 2/3 yrs, some of the best talent I have ever seen at that age

Also it was GREAT to see Rencher back on the field for TLH, great young man that has missed the last 2 seasons with terrible knee injuries . I got a little concerned when he went down in 4th qtr, I could tell on the tackle his legs/knees bent the wrong way and i was concerned that it was bad but did see him back out there.

I wish the BEST to TLH in playoffs and trust me I would love nothing more than for the 2 schools to be in oppositte brackets and end up playing each other Dec 12. That would be HUGE but I know it is a LONG shot but not completely out of the question

Last edited:
In the next two years, this rivalry should continue to be big in determining region champions - in there with Woodmont, Mann, Easley in a 5 team league.

In the next two years, this rivalry should continue to be big in determining region champions - in there with Woodmont, Mann, Easley in a 5 team league.

I honestly hate we are losing GWD & Laurens in our Region. I think if you play better teams programs it makes your program better in long run.

Talking with folks at GWD they tell me they can be in Greenville area about as easy as coming to Anderson and my understanding was the SCHSL was trying to cut down travel times not as much for football but for the other sports.

Last edited:
I honestly hate we are loosing GWD & Laurens in our Region. I think if you play better teams programs it makes your program better in long run.

Talking with folks at GWD they tell me they can be in Greenville area about as easy as coming to Anderson and my understanding was the SCHSL was trying to cut down travel times not as much for football but for the other sports.

Nothing quite like loosing Greenwood & Laurens. Way worse than tighting them!

LOL

Thanks, trying to type on computer and on phone in my office at same time does not work

Don't pay Dangerfield any mind. He's still recovering from not using his dozen animated Salutation thingys on everyone of his posts...

:D

He's finding it a little difficult to hype his beloved Gamecocks..... at the momment.

o_O

Don't pay Dangerfield any mind. He's still recovering from not using his dozen animated Salutation thingys on everyone of his posts...

:D

He's finding it a little difficult to hype his beloved Gamecocks..... at the momment.

o_O

LOL

?

Thanks for the compliment. I just truly enjoy HS football

Mr.Price,

Let me first say that you are a gentleman and I know you would not like what I am about to tell you happened Friday night. I have always enjoyed our conversations and you have been very courteous to me and my family.

I feel that you need to be aware of what did happen so therefore I am going to lay it out in order for you.

1. The prayer we had at midfield before the game we knew was a ploy. We put our starters in the back of the group because we felt something would happen and it did. As soon as "amen" was said the trash talking (cussing) started along with the jumping up and down like you wanted to fight.

2.Out of the 4 captains that came out for Westside, only Jackson shook the hands with our 4 captains. Your other 3 stood there with their hands behind their backs. Great sportsmanship.

3. As soon as the game was over, the Westside team came rushing over. You could and can tell (on film) that this was not spontaneous but pre-orchestrated. We had coaches get cussed at and spit on. Your #21 was even standing on our bench giving the crowd the "finger".

You said in an earlier reply that had TLH won that we would have done the same. No sir you are wrong, that would not have happened with our team.

Jaa9263 is correct that TLH and especially WHS is extremely lucky that this thing did not escalate. The reason this happened is because of who TLH is. No way would WHS do this at certain other high schools, because yes it would have escalated very fast before anyone could have took control.

I tell you this not because I blame you, but to let you know because you do represent that side of town on our school board.

Mr.Price,

Let me first say that you are a gentleman and I know you would not like what I am about to tell you happened Friday night. I have always enjoyed our conversations and you have been very courteous to me and my family.

I feel that you need to be aware of what did happen so therefore I am going to lay it out in order for you.

1. The prayer we had at midfield before the game we knew was a ploy. We put our starters in the back of the group because we felt something would happen and it did. As soon as "amen" was said the trash talking (cussing) started along with the jumping up and down like you wanted to fight.

2.Out of the 4 captains that came out for Westside, only Jackson shook the hands with our 4 captains. Your other 3 stood there with their hands behind their backs. Great sportsmanship.

3. As soon as the game was over, the Westside team came rushing over. You could and can tell (on film) that this was not spontaneous but pre-orchestrated. We had coaches get cussed at and spit on. Your #21 was even standing on our bench giving the crowd the "finger".

You said in an earlier reply that had TLH won that we would have done the same. No sir you are wrong, that would not have happened with our team.

Jaa9263 is correct that TLH and especially WHS is extremely lucky that this thing did not escalate. The reason this happened is because of who TLH is. No way would WHS do this at certain other high schools, because yes it would have escalated very fast before anyone could have took control.

I tell you this not because I blame you, but to let you know because you do represent that side of town on our school board.

Please! Hanna did nothing wrong, Westside is a bunch of thugs blah blah blah. Heard it all before from that side of town. Find some new material. TPrice said that there was only one personal foul....actually there were 3, all on Hanna. Hanna kids and Westside Kids both jawed at each other at the prayer and during the game. The prayer at Midfield was a terrible idea. But guess what, I dont care if Hanna kids talked trash or got excited about making a big play. Its football i expect it to be like that when two rivals go at it. I dont cry about it. You lost and you cry "Westside are thugs they didnt shake our hand before the game wah wah wah." Good luck in the playoffs. Hopefully when you travel to irmo they shake your hand, pray with you, and help your kids up after every play. And if they win I hope they dont get too excited and they are gentlemen about it. After all football is a gentlemen's game....oh wait thats golf my bad.

Mr.Price,

Thanks for letting me know, I honestly did not see it or was just not paying any attention. We had a few sets of keys, phones, debit cards and people asking us to help locate folks. Sorry I did not see it but it was brought my attention and I assure you will be handled .

I really hate ANYTHING like that happened, it leave a bad impression on what was a great game and I always have fears of something like the fight between Marlboro County/Dillion (think that is right) many years ago.

I realize I am elected in the Westside area but I will correct you in that I represent BOTH and ALL schools in Anderson 5 , I want the best and EXPECT the best out of all students in Anderson 5.

I have had a couple of calls from folks at both schools telling me about this.

I am embarrassed anything like this happened, and like I said earlier I wish I had been paying more attention

Thanks

Last edited:
"Hopefully when you travel to irmo they shake your hand, pray with you, and help your kids up after every play." -- Yes, I hope this happens. This is proper.
"And if they win I hope they dont get too excited and they are gentlemen about it. After all football is a gentlemen's game...." -- This is what we should be teaching: you can get excited and still be gentlemanly about it.

I don't have a part in this either way but do know what Coach Ollis teaches and his teams act as well as he can coach them to act. I don't know about the other crowd - they got a ways to go in a lot of sports. We all need to keep working on it - diligence - and quit making excuses for kids when they act like idiots.

Where is Westside located? I'm might be there next friday if the tentative playoff bracket holds.

I will add that the Superintendent will handle any issues like that, he DOES NOT TOLERATE IT and naturally I am not a liberty to discuss names or consequences

If Cane Bay has to travel that far, could be a rough game. How good is Westside against the run?

If Cane Bay has to travel that far, could be a rough game. How good is Westside against the run?

I would have to say our defense is our strong point but the run has given us some grief this year. Our defense set a new state record (or so they tell me) for INT's in a season this past week with 25 for the year

It wont be a good game...Westside will win by 3 tds. Like tprice mentioned, the run has caused them a little grief but thats the run against traditional pro style sets vs teams who can throw the ball well IE Hanna. Not the option. Clover barely achieved one 1st down all game running the option vs them. Now I understand Clover is terrible but still. They only gained 20 yards all game. They are too fast and athletic and have 2 weeks to prepare for it. If you are one dimensional it will allow the safeties to play run and they are two of the best safeties in the state. Just my two cents.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT