ADVERTISEMENT

High School vs. Travel Ball.....just my opinion

Mar 3, 2015
I apologize for the length……..

This week, my daughter’s high school softball career came to an end.....rather abruptly. 7 innings can go by really fast! It is so much fun to watch your team go deep into the playoffs. However, I believe the further you make it, the more hurt you feel when it ends.

Sure, we have travel ball this summer, and fortunately my daughter will be continue to play softball in college. However, there is just something about playing for your high school, your hometown, and the girls you've grown up with. The girls have forged a bond with one another through the years. Parents grew relationships with one another. It was this way when I attended high school in my hometown…way back in the 80’s.!! I can honestly say, and to the credit of my daughter's HS coach, there was very little drama with the team over the years. I thoroughly enjoyed my daughter’s high school career. This of course was our family experience and I don’t presume every softball mom and/or dad share the same experience we had.

I do have many great memories of travel ball tournaments. I've been involved with travel ball since my kid was 9 years old. My family and I have made very good friends through the travel ball circuit. I've spent countless hours and $$'s on the game. My family and I have driven many hours and miles in a car traveling to and from tournaments. We’ve traveled across country several times. I can’t count how many hours I have sat on a bucket or hit fungos. We have painfully gotten up early many weekend mornings preparing for an 8am game. I would not trade my time back in.

With this said, travel ball has never been able to meet the emotional need or the pride one feels playing for their school. Again, I’m speaking based on my family’s experience. I understand the argument from the travel ball family that plays on the HS team that is not very competitive…….”can’t wait for travel ball to start” kinda of thing!

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking travel ball. It is a necessary fact these days for any kid that wants to play at the next level. The game is evolving. The level of competition is getting better. It has made my daughter better. It’s really the only way to get recruited. Travel ball just has never given us the same feeling as when you play for your hometown colors. I’m truly gonna miss it.

Hey Spankit, I get what you mean. My kids both played for very good travel teams that won a lot of games. That said, being around a successful high school program, especially in a small town, is a pretty unique experience. Travel ball is a lot of fun and a necessity to get to the college level. For 99% of the kids, there's no way that high school can provide the level of coaching, talent, skill development, and competition that travel ball provides. Still, a really talented high school team with a lot of community support, is a pretty fun experience for the kids, parents, and the overall community. Both are fun, but, different in their own way.

Reactions: Spankit
I've told kids and parents both this same thing. You play high school for memories and relationships, travel ball is for building and developing. Parents that don't want their kid to play high school ball is just stealing a a part of their kids childhood and memories. There's no need to have to choose or compare the two.

Reactions: chrisisarn
The right High School can and do get good players in college softball. The journey may be a bit different, but has been done. Mine is proof. There is nothing better than the HS experience. Travel softball has an important place. But, for some, it is not needed. More yet to come.

The college recruiters look for skill set. They do know where to look. Cutting out travel definitely slows a players development. Something a good college can get back in short order. We had wonderful travel lives in the early stages. But stopped at the later stages, never looked back, and cherish High School softball and all the comrodary. High School softball mimics college softball. Travel is a paid for service. High school and college is not. That is the difference.

Nice story.

Last edited:
Reactions: TigerTime2015
The right High School can and do get good players in college softball. The journey may be a bit different, but has been done. Mine is proof. There is nothing better than the HS experience. Travel softball has an important place. But, for some, it is not needed. More yet to come.

The college recruiters look for skill set. They do know where to look. Cutting out travel definitely slows a players development. Something a good college can get back in short order. We had wonderful travel lives in the early stages. But stopped at the later stages, never looked back, and cherish High School softball and all the comrodary. High School softball mimics college softball. Travel is a paid for service. High school and college is not. That is the difference.

Nice story.

I wish I could like this 100 times! This is pure, 100% truth. Talent stands out and gets seen. One of my good friends is a D1 college baseball coach, and he values seeing a player at a high school game exponentially over seeing them play in a travel ball game, for the simple truth of the passion and the dedication of the school game.

Great discussion. I think there may be a difference in recruiting a male athelete vs a female athelete(different topic). Over the years I have had multiple college softball coaches tell me they will only burn a recruiting trip to a HS game if that recruit is a "prized target" and they want to seal the deal, so to speak. I'm sure there are exceptions. I can recall seeing college coaches at two different HS games over the years. Those two games were championship games. Since the college and HS seasons coincide in South Carolina, college coaches are busy trying to win games. However, this is not the intent of my original post....although I briefly mentioned the recruiting aspect. I really just wanted to contrast the difference in the emotional draw between HS ball vs Travel ball, solely based on our experience. Both have value.

Reactions: NA_JACKET
Travel softball is the mainstream way to get recruited. It also fine tunes a players skillset by playing better competition more consistently. It is the way to go.

I have seen well over 20 college coaches (some assistants) at HS games. Mostly they stay in the background. What HS does offer also is the word of mouth. Coaches of all levels talk to one another. About their players, and opposing players. They want to get a varied opinion on players. How they are perceived in HS is an important variable, one that usually gets reviewed. Maybe not directly by the head coach. But by one of his agents.

In travel softball, most college coaches sport their team colors, or hats. In high school softball, college coaches tend to do the opposite. Blend in to not be noticed as much. Scouts really are about everywhere. Don't fool yourself the travel circuit is the only way to get noticed. Yes, travel is the best way, but has been proven time and again it is not the only way.

Last edited:
BS Some of the worst advice I have seen in a long time. You are living a hell of a dream if you believe some of this crap. People follow advice of someone you know (not me) that has been there at a high level. Most of these high level travel coaches or college coaches will give you the advice if you ask. Go to a college camp if you have to and get the info you need. If you are a softball player and you think you are going to college with high school softball you are misinformed. This may happen in baseball but not the norm is softball. What happens in BS with coaches is they are watching committed or prior offered players. Quit flattering yourself that its anything other than that. This is the level of stupidity that the state was known for around 10 years ago when the state was getting around two D1 players per year. I really never thought I would hear this talk ever again. Its the stuff that kept local players close to me from getting offers. Here we go as history repeats itself. I am sure some of my friends at the smaller colleges hope players follow this advice because it leaves better players for them to take. Where you have Thad (SMC) Alleen (Erskine) that do a good job getting out to see some high school games in their area there simply aren't others showing up. You think the coaches I just mentioned are showing up in the Low Country or the Pee Dee area? College coaches schedules don't afford them the luxury of seeing high school ball.

Travel and High School both can be very good. I wouldn't trade either.

I wish I could like this 100 times! This is pure, 100% truth. Talent stands out and gets seen. One of my good friends is a D1 college baseball coach, and he values seeing a player at a high school game exponentially over seeing them play in a travel ball game, for the simple truth of the passion and the dedication of the school game.
The problem is baseball isn't recruited the same as softball. I wish that wasn't the case and girls could simply play school ball and not spend a ton of money.

Reactions: TigerTime2015
BS Some of the worst advice I have seen in a long time. You are living a hell of a dream if you believe some of this crap. People follow advice of someone you know (not me) that has been there at a high level. Most of these high level travel coaches or college coaches will give you the advice if you ask. Go to a college camp if you have to and get the info you need. If you are a softball player and you think you are going to college with high school softball you are misinformed. This may happen in baseball but not the norm is softball. What happens in BS with coaches is they are watching committed or prior offered players. Quit flattering yourself that its anything other than that. This is the level of stupidity that the state was known for around 10 years ago when the state was getting around two D1 players perk year. I really never thought I would hear this talk ever again. Its the stuff that kept local players close to me from getting offers. Here we go as history repeats itself. I am sure some of my friends at the smaller colleges hope players follow this advice because it leaves better players for them to take. Where you have Thad (SMC) Alleen (Erskine) that do a good job getting out to see some high school games in their area there simply aren't others showing up. You think the coaches I just mentioned are showing up in the Low Country or the Pee Dee area? College coaches schedules don't afford them the luxury of seeing high school ball.

Travel and High School both can be very good. I wouldn't trade either.

Wow Jacket, quite a response. Calling out the kitchen sink. Not very professional, I say. So remind me, whom do you represent?

It truly irks you that some players, and their families, are super happy with their lives, and what the softball world has brought to them. Just because they did it differently?

By being a truly home grown player, through local baseball leagues, then small time travel groups who played big. And then a wonderful high school group who taught her many important skills on and off the softball field. To now the local junior college, which continues the valued tradition, and has a chance to make history.

And just think in less than a week, I will be watching the NJCAA World Series in St. George Utah. Where all the players are being watched and free agent eligible. Jump on board, Jacket, and find fault with this path again?

Last edited:
There's a few big time coaches in SC who get it, Go to clinics, that played the sport, follow best practices, and make kids better during a season, but it's few and far. Clover, Byrnes, Summerville stay at the top for a reason.

I can see a situation soon where the best players just quit HS ball if athletic directors don't start taking softball seriously in terms of coaches qualification and keeping current. This isn't football where it's the only choice.

Last edited:
Not .... For the most part South Carolina HS coaches are very good. What started as a post to praise HS softball has become a bashing thread.

Start a new thread. High School softball is top shelf in South Carolina ........

The problem is baseball isn't recruited the same as softball. I wish that wasn't the case and girls could simply play school ball and not spend a ton of money.
This post I don't get. I speak monthly to my college coach who's a great friend, recruiting is brutal. Baseball and softball mirror one another recruiting. The difference is softball gets 12 scholarships to divide among 18 ladies, baseball is 11.7 divided 25 ways. So the average girl gets more funding vs baseball. Baseball travel costs are 3x softball. It's a mandatory $3500 and most softball is $1000 or less.

Living at home, college was free this year. Many things go into the money equation. Softball is only a part of it. But by being a softball player, the "system" works hard at it and is able to get more, and not call it related to softball.

The players in return do a bunch of community service. And are required to write letters of thanks to the political folks who help them.

The tax code allows a tax Credit up to $5000 per year. So even if a player comes up short, the parents shell out $5000 and get the same back the next year (more complicated, with cut off levels), but most of this money comes right back.

Living expenses, lodging on campus, is a hefty chunk. And almost always has to be paid by the family.

Last edited:
Hey Spankit, I get what you mean. My kids both played for very good travel teams that won a lot of games. That said, being around a successful high school program, especially in a small town, is a pretty unique experience. Travel ball is a lot of fun and a necessity to get to the college level. For 99% of the kids, there's no way that high school can provide the level of coaching, talent, skill development, and competition that travel ball provides. Still, a really talented high school team with a lot of community support, is a pretty fun experience for the kids, parents, and the overall community. Both are fun, but, different in their own way.
Spot on

Living at home, college was free this year. Many things go into the money equation.......
The tax code allows a tax Credit up to $5000 per year. So even if a player comes up short, the parents shell out $5000 and get the same back the next year (more complicated, with cut off levels), but most of this money comes right back.

Just for clarification:

American Opportunity Tax Credit is a credit for qualified education expenses paid for an eligible student for the first four years of higher education.You can get a maximum annual credit of $2,500 per eligible student. If the credit brings the amount of tax you owe to zero, you can have 40 percent of any remaining of the credit (up to $1,000) refunded to you.

The Lifetime Tax Credit is equal to a max of 20% of the first $10K or $2000. SC Education credit maxes out at $850.This is what the Tax Code allows.

Reactions: BS100
This post I don't get. I speak monthly to my college coach who's a great friend, recruiting is brutal. Baseball and softball mirror one another recruiting. The difference is softball gets 12 scholarships to divide among 18 ladies, baseball is 11.7 divided 25 ways. So the average girl gets more funding vs baseball. Baseball travel costs are 3x softball. It's a mandatory $3500 and most softball is $1000 or less.
Tim again my experience doesn't match yours. I know you you have done both sides. I have as well and the baseball wasn't even close to what softball was. If you are comparing fees maybe so but the travel required to better tournaments wasn't close. I agree softball funding works out much differently. Checking roster size with both tells that story.

Wow Jacket, quite a response. Calling out the kitchen sink. Not very professional, I say. So remind me, whom do you represent?

It truly irks you that some players, and their families, are super happy with their lives, and what the softball world has brought to them. Just because they did it differently?

By being a truly home grown player, through local baseball leagues, then small time travel groups who played big. And then a wonderful high school group who taught her many important skills on and off the softball field. To now the local junior college, which continues the valued tradition, and has a chance to make history.

And just think in less than a week, I will be watching the NJCAA World Series in St. George Utah. Where all the players are being watched and free agent eligible. Jump on board, Jacket, and find fault with this path again?
I am happy you are happy and I really mean that. Who wouldn't be? Who I represent will have no problem with what I posted. My problem is players cant simply play high school and it all just happens. I see it happen for football and basketball players but the other sports aren't that fortunate. Good luck in Utah and your daughter is having a hell of a year.

South Carolina softball exists and is becoming a force because the parents, players, and highly knowledgeable support is, and has been, well established for many, many years as a stick and ball state.

For some reason lately, South Carolina has been able to keep its young ladies on the ball field, not plagued as much by Twitter, Facebook, and snapchat, which is hampering other states and allowing SC to gain attention.

The super orgs are a great addition to this equation, and are well appreciated, and very much thanked. But please do not kid yourself. South Carolina softball is well established, entrenched nationally, and relies on thousands, tens of thousands, valuable contributors. Not just a few small in numbers groups.

I've been one to never compare the two as they are apples and oranges. Both my daughters started their HS careers in the seventh grade while one went on the play in college (she's finished now) and one deciding she wanted to pursue other opportunities when she gets to college. It's fair to say they both put in a lot of years into both successful travelball teams and successful HS ball teams. I don't believe I've ever asked them which one they liked better (remember apples and oranges) but their actions today speak volumes as to which one truly was. Whenever my oldest, who has for the last couple of years embarked on her career after college, is invited to a wedding, baby shower or just a get together, the invitation comes from her former travelball players. Rarely does she hear from her HS players. They seemed to have all gone their separate ways and put HS behind them. With that said, travelball seems to be the one biggest thing during her lifetime that created lifelong bonds. I can only guess the same will be said for my youngest daughter, who is yet to get to that age.
Blessed is travelball imo.

I have never been a big hs ball supporter. For most players it's a right of passage. Everyone wants to represent their home town, and everyone wants to be the home town hero. If you're blessed enough to have a hs coach that is all about the game and teaching it the right way and doing it the right way, you have indeed been blessed.
My two children are done with ball. My oldest played college baseball and my youngest graduated early to get a jump on her future, giving up her senior year of softball.
Am I broken hearted she didn't pursue softball at some level? At first I was, but now once I got past "me", I'm super proud of her decision. So whether it's travel ball or hs ball, I was blessed enough to make some memories with my two. If I could go back and change anything, I wouldn't. After all it's not about me. The "game" helped mold my children into who they are today. Just saying...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT