ADVERTISEMENT

Jaylen Shaw

princeg

All-State Pick
Nov 2, 2003
I watched a lot of players in this years playoffs but the one that impressed me the most was Jaylen Shaw. I heard he was committed to High Point but I don't think he has signed yet. I have watched a few Gamecock basketball games and he is as good as any guard that they have on their team. I think Frank Martin could have a diamond in the rough if he is available. Any thoughts?

USC has Stroman joining them in the 2014 class, as well as the Johnson kid transferring in from Villanova this year. You have Ellington and Smith returning so i dont see where he would fit in. I think he's an awesome player but not SEC material yet. HighPoint(mid-major) is a good fit for him should have a great college career. Wonderful young man.

I think he may take offer from Tulane... but you have to realize the things he is doing in high school the USC guards were doing in high school as well.. you cant compare what a high school player is doing to what a college player is doing (cause in SC there is no players that can play like the college players)... Jaylen is by FAR the best guard on the floor every single game he plays...so if he is as good as any guard on SC team then they probably would want better (dont we think)!

I think you guys all make excellent points but I think Jaylen has that clutch gene that will make his talent standout. If Martin has someone better and don't want to waste a scholarship then don't take him. However if you are not taking him because of what you already have, I think it's a mistake. I think Jaylen is better than E. Smith. I think he has that special gene that D. Leanord doesn't have and I think football has hurt B. Ellingtons bball progress. I don't see these kids play year round like some of you, but from what I have seen, I think Shaw is more ready than Stroman right now. If Martin has a scholarship to give he can even bring him in and redshirt him and let him be ready to go in 2014. I just think wherever the kid goes he is going to make some noise and if Martin does not reach out to him he may regret it in a few years.

This post was edited on 3/5 3:41 PM by princeg

This post was edited on 3/5 3:43 PM by princeg

they need bigs.. someone that can protect the rim... the best post player is 6'5... that is the area of concern. no way they can bring another guard in.. hindsight is ALWAYS 20/20 but the need based on kids they have coming in is a few post players.

jaylen is a good guard and can be stellar in any mid-major conference such as the southerm big south or good even at the conference usa level however USC would not be the ideal school for him, not alot of great guards in SC, and in all honesty like KG and Hoop reality said Leonard. Ellingiton and smith both did this in the SCHSL.... go to a school where you can honed your skills, recieve an quality education and maybe have a chance to play across the water one day.

You guys are probably right and I can telll you have probably seen Shaw play more than me but Gamecock basketball is so bad right now. The last time they were decent was because they wound up with two guards from our state in Devan Downey and Zam Fredrick. Maybe he will go to a smaller school and have a great year and transfer like a Seth Curry. I could be wrong but something tells me I may be on here in 3 years saying I knew they should have offered Shaw lol.

Why would the kid want to go to USC anyway?? I hope the kid would turn them down if he has the chance. I would rather see him at SC.State than going to USC.

I Follow AAU ball somewhat and i havent heard to much about Shaw was he on a certain team or what. AAU is how some kids get notice in the summer and when the season start they have to follow it up on the court, and with the season shaw had his senior year that wouldve been the smart thing to do at the end of his junior season, with summer ball etc.

If he had consistently stayed on the AAU circuit from his freshman year then honestly i dont think we would even be discussing this right now because the little time he did play AAU he looked really good (so he wouldve probably had offers from couple of schools in "Big 6" . But he was never a consistent face on the AAU circuit throughout his high school career.

Very serious. College Basketball in this state is a joke. FMU,Coker College would be just as good as going to Clemson or South Carolina!! With his skill set I dont think Carolina is a good place for him. I've enjoyed watching him play the past few year and will be a fan of whatever college he goes to. Just saying what I think.

If its a joke then why you want him to go to S.C.State? You clowning right now, but your thoughts are your thoughts.

sc state.... hmm... not even the best HBCU in this state at this point and time...lol however he's going to excell where ever he goes if he continues to work on his game.... and KG. if I was Jayleen i wouldnt even want to go to a power 6 school he would fit well in the A-10... CAA... OVC.. MAC.... Atlantic Sun ..WCC.. or Mountain west....

Everybody seem to be saying alot about him being recruited and going to certain schools, but how is his grades and sat score if the sat score isnt that high maybe sc state is the best he can hope for, most schools would work with the grades along as its not to bad but sat score has to be at a certain #, seen alot of players in this state that was alot better than shaw go to small d3 schools and ju co colleges cause the sat score wasnt up to par players that couldve been starting at acc schools, i dont know Shaw situation though im just saying

Jaylen not only is a good player but a good student. He has a 3.7 GPA. He will play at a big school. I think he will leave the state.

Time to update this thread.

Well, now that SC has offered, one thing that means is that Frank Martin must think:

1. He can't afford to wait until Jan for the transfer or 2014 for Stroman at PG,
2. He's done with his current pg's
3. He thinks that JShaw can play at that level (there are doubters out there, for sure)

He has had to yank the scholly of an existing player in order to make this offer - it means he's making a serious bet here.

Jaylen isn't the quickest or strongest pg out there, but what I think separates him from many top pg's (e.g., Kasey Hill) is his ability to actually play the position. PG's these days tend to be scoring PG's and, true enough, JS can score (see his 36 yesterday in the Cola v. SC all star game). But what he is even better at is creating for his teammates.

I've been watching him since he was playing 6th grade rec-ball and even at that point he would just shake his man, get in the paint and dish to the open kid on the block. His vision, ability to deliver the pass and understanding of the game set him apart.

Strength he can gain in the weight room - but you can't really teach the things he knows how to do. . .

Anyway, I know plenty of guys who think like some on here that JS isn't SEC/ACC pg material. For me, I'll bet with Frank Martin.

The question isn't is a he an SEC player, but is he a top or even middle of the pack player? Shaw is an impressive player and a winner no doubt, but I don't think there is any way he is a top level SEC player.

The question there is he better than what they have now? Definitely! For that matter I think you could combine the top talent from Hartsville, Lake Marion, and Irmo into a squad and they could beat the current USC team

Guys I have seen JV team shoot better than USC this year and at many times just flat lack of effort. This years USC may be one of the worst excuses for a major division 1 program I have seen in a long time! That being said do I think Frank Martin will change that absolutely he will could he this year? Nope not enough time but he will change it just have to survive the time until it happens!

and they still won more games/conference games than last years team which had better talent (Harris and Gill) on this years team would have been a .500 conference team at the very least....did you see how many games they lost close or that went wrong at the 3 minute mark in the 2nd half.

No doubt KG! Horn ran the program in the cellar! I used to sit and watch previous teams under Horn and wondered if he was betting against his own team because of some of the boneheaded decisions he made. He could recruit talent but then didnt know what to do with it when he got it. When Dawn Staley took over at USC, Walvius had talent there but much of it was Eastern European with a few SC kids and they were not real bad but played a candy cane schedule preseason so when they got drilled on a regular basis in the SEC they didnt seem so bad. Walvius 8 of her 11 seasons USC had a losing SEC record, one broke even and the other two were winning years. Staley pledged to win with SC kids and she has. Her SEC record has gotten better ever year. Martin made the same pledge and I totally believe he will see the same success but he has to get kids in there who can play as he demands.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT