ADVERTISEMENT

Midland Valley beats Gilbert

BallCoach17

Varsity All American
Nov 20, 2007
Didn't see that one coming, but MV has some good kids. Score was 6-1. Mustangs really needed that after dropping a 7-6 decision in extra innings at Thurmond earlier in the week.

I think they are 3-3 in region, but could be wrong. They have some decent wins (South Aiken). But that was MV's first region win. They are waaaay down this year.

I don't think alot of people realize that they have a youth movement going on right now.They start a freshman at 3rd a 10th grader at short a 10th grader at first and 3 freshmen in the outfield.Also their catcher is a junior.Their JV is 11-0 as of right now with several 10th graders coming up next year that will help their pitching staff and solidify there lineup.They have a catcher that is on JV that just might start behind the plate next year as a freshman.He has good blood lines.His dad was one of the best players to come out of this Area in a while.He is a true catcher and this might let the one behind the plate play in the field for them at another position.People can beat up on them now but I have seen this group win big over the years in state tourneys and travel ball.So I feel better days are ahead for this program.They are also getting in a position to start moving classes of kids up together.The younger boys that will be left on JV will be able to play together until there time to move up.Just one last thing the Seniors they do have only 2 of them really contribute because the others haven't stepped on the field since they got in the program.I know this because my son played there since 7th grade until graduating last year which they lost alot.

I love when people quote JV records. I never had a year when I couldn't have stacked my JV program and won every game. Teams who win all their JV games fall into a very few categories: 1) varsity is loaded so JV is stacked with 10th graders 2) nearby JV teams are horrible 3) at least one hard throwing pitcher who doesn't have a second pitch to win on the varsity level

Well sorry you didn't want to here that,but a part of a successful program is how you develope your JV team.Look at the succesful programs in the state they either have B-Teams and strong JV teams that they move groups of kids up every year to varsity and don't drop off in competing.I'm just speaking from what I know has lacked at MV for the last couple of years.I understand what you are saying,but in MV case they should have brought these kids up and let them play varsity,because as I stated they don't have a strong Senior class or Junior class so what they are playing with are Freshman and Sophmores.And if they really wanted to dominate on the JV they could have left them back and even more dominate.So to answer your Questions1)Varsity is not loaded2)They have played respectable programs on JV (Brookland Cayce,South Aiken,North Augusta,etc)3)They have 4 Quality pithchers that could compete on the Varsity Level Right Now.5)I think Coach Holmes at MV might have a nervous break down with what he has on Varsity.Thank god for him that he only has a few more games left and can look at working toward next year.

4) Varsity kids are turds and cancers to the team and you dont want your younger kids affected so you leave them down to play together as a team until those senior turds are gone!

Gilbert will be just fine! Go check out a game sometime if you are in the area. Great facility!

Gilbert is not fine, this years team hasn't come close to what Gilbert Baseball is all about. No team leadership. For over a decade, there has always been players that were leaders and players that were behind them wanting to be the next leader when the others graduated. 3 State Championships in 6 years was not a right of passage, but a desire to buy into the team concept, to work harder than your opponents at practice and to have the attitude that we aren't going to lose tonight. The desire to make myself better for the overall good of the program. Just don't see that from this group.

Gilbert will be very fortunate to make the playoffs this year, but if they do, they could be a real problem for a higher place seed in the first round if they can get a few more ballplayers to man up, do their job, and grow a set or they can just roll over and wait for some younger guys to come up and take their spots who understand what Gilbert Baseball is all about.

Some of the finest facilities in the state at any level, top of the line coaching staff, but that doesn't matter if you don't have the desire to play baseball the Gilbert way. Hard work, team concept, leadership!

Gilbert shut out BC 3-0 tonight behind a 14 K, complete game effort by Drew Moyer. They are now at 4-3 in region and BC drops to 5-3. They are very much in the hunt for second place in the region race.

foghorn-leghorn...You obviously know more about the 2013 Indians than I do with that detailed post. They have had some great kids come through that program over the last 10 years. It looks like they had a good week last week and I wish them continued success this year. Anything can happen in the playoffs... I'm sure nobody will want to see them!

Salley5: I made that post in hopes that the boys may get a since of urgency about them and I have to say, they turned in two great pitching performances this past week against BC and Airport but still need to clean up mistakes. The dugout seemed to have some life on Friday night and it was good to see.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT