ADVERTISEMENT

MY THOUGHTS ON THE VILLE

Here's my thoughts.
First offense. We don't have a running team. The O line just doesn't have the tough mentality but they do manage to pass block better so we should have a pass to setup the run mentality. If the current O.C isn't doing the job we have a receiver coach that was on 2 national championship teams at St.Thomas Aquinas let him call the plays. I'm sure he knows what a drag route or a crossing pattern is.
Defense needs alot of help,but first of all we need more size in the D-line. The Defense ends are way undersized
I would move #95 and #96 to the end positions. and move #10 to a linebacker or a corner and the same with #20 he should be our starting safety. Next stop blitzing the L.B on every play. The opposite team's are just running away from it. 3rd stop playing the DB'S 10-15 yards off the receivers. If they can't cover put them on the bench.
This team has plenty of talent and a 2-4 record is way underachieving. It's time for this wave to regain some pride and start winning!

NO ,ITS ABOUT YOUR SAD RANTS, YOU ARE JUST JEALOUS OF THE REAL TEAMS. CRY ON, CRYER

You might need too call back the old Legendary Gramps. I'm sure he can call the plays if nothing else..

I agree with 99.99% of what Wave 80 said. Our talent level is definitely down from previous years, but the main problem on offense is the O.C.! He seems inept when it comes to play calling. We have #9 Jackson who has stepped up this season and we have #13 Burnette who is our go to guy. Both coming off a game where they went over 100 yards each with Jackson having 5 and Burnette having 10 catches respectively. So to come out and not throw the football but 4 or 5 times the entire 1st half is a JOKE! It has been proven this season that when we call a balanced game, we have a chance to win, when we are run dominate, we have no chance. Defense is a huge weakness for us, so we have to score points to win, and our O.C. doesn't seem to grasp this concept at all. I was told that when asked about the play calling, his response is that the play calling works and that the team just has to execute better! If that's truly what he said and that's still his opinion, then he has no business coaching football at this level!

I agree with 99.99% of what Wave 80 said. Our talent level is definitely down from previous years, but the main problem on offense is the O.C.! He seems inept when it comes to play calling. We have #9 Jackson who has stepped up this season and we have #13 Burnette who is our go to guy. Both coming off a game where they went over 100 yards each with Jackson having 5 and Burnette having 10 catches respectively. So to come out and not throw the football but 4 or 5 times the entire 1st half is a JOKE! It has been proven this season that when we call a balanced game, we have a chance to win, when we are run dominate, we have no chance. Defense is a huge weakness for us, so we have to score points to win, and our O.C. doesn't seem to grasp this concept at all. I was told that when asked about the play calling, his response is that the play calling works and that the team just has to execute better! If that's truly what he said and that's still his opinion, then he has no business coaching football at this level!
I suppose the OC believes when you run the ball up the middle and it is stuffed about 50% of the time that is considered 'working' in his estimation. Has anyone heard why Hunter was put back into the game after he suffered two hard hits to his head? I would think that a concussion assessment should have been done. I didn't see anyone examine him. It served no purpose to put him into the game, down 35-13 and the backup QB did a decent job for his couple of plays. I said during the first game of the season that the team would struggle because of undersized players and inexperience, but at least the coaches should find a way to best utilize players they have. I agree that the OC is getting paid for poor performance.

Have no idea why Taylor was out back in the game. I did hear that he is now out for a few games with a shoulder injury. Dont know how severe or what the injury is. With Taylor out I'm sure that will give the O.C. an excuse for his continuing poor performance!

WHEN IS THE LAST TIME, YALL PLAYED A BLACK QB? IS THIS TOO SENSITIVE FOR YALL? JUST ASKING? I CAN'T REMEMBER BUT ONE AS A STARTER ON THE VARSITY SINCE THE ONE FROM A PRIVATE SKOOL MANY YEARS AGO? I SEE THEM ON JV BUT NOT ON VARSITY PLAYING? IS THAT NOT A TRUE STATEMENT?

I
WHEN IS THE LAST TIME, YALL PLAYED A BLACK QB? IS THIS TOO SENSITIVE FOR YALL? JUST ASKING? I CAN'T REMEMBER BUT ONE AS A STARTER ON THE VARSITY SINCE THE ONE FROM A PRIVATE SKOOL MANY YEARS AGO? I SEE THEM ON JV BUT NOT ON VARSITY PLAYING? IS THAT NOT A TRUE STATEMENT?
It certainly appears to be the case. I find it difficult to believe there has never been a black athlete that wasn't capable to play QB for the Green Ripples. In fact, I heard one person say as much in the 80's when they replied to the question, "Over my dead body". So, you may be correct in your assumption.

1992-93 Demarcus Valentine was the last black starter at QB. There have been others in a backup role.
The wave brought up the freshman Bennett last week and he played some and if Taylor is injured then he will probably be the QB going forward.

We will start a black QB this week. Taylor is out this week so #2 Bennett will have the reigns against stratford. Not sure why The Greenwave have never played a black QB. I hope that the race issue is not the reason, but it is sure hard to believe otherwise. I still hope by hats not the case though

I hate to see any young man get injured. Hoping for a quick recovery for Taylor. However, I think the Freshmen QB was coming to varsity to play regardless of what happened Friday night. Things have not been good in the QB/Coach relationship and Call eluded to that in his pre game talk show. QB prospects at Summerville are very thin and if the Freshmen is more focused on basketball, this problem will only get worse. I do not think the Freshmen can right the ship as it seems the problems are too wide spread and primarily on the opposite side of the ball. If the new QB settles in, look for Taylor to be at a different school next year.

Summerville has had a lot of talent depart in the last few years. During the early AJ years, brothers moved in and one was a QB. Never allowed him to throw a pass in practice. Prior to the grandson taking over at QB in '08, the next QB in line transferred. Best QB in Dorchester District 2 coming out of middle school in what would be this years senior class was moved to receiver the first day of practice at Summerville; he later transferred. Duncan at AR as well as the Pinewood QB are both zoned for Summerville. Outstanding DL at Fort was at Summerville until this year. There are numerous players who have left the program in the last few yrs in search of greener pastures. As a coaching staff, the exit of talent should be addressed. Gone are the days of players transferring in to Summerville to play; they are leaving now which is making it harder and harder to get wins on Friday night.

Reactions: DuckDitchTiger
Well if you look at the past QB Summerville has had a few family members that were the starting QB and some of the better athletes didn't play or transferred for whatever reason even back in the day. Now days Summerville isn't the only school in the district and that was the biggest advantage until the early 2000's is Summerville was the main school. Even when Fort Dorchester was started back in 1992 Summerville was the main attraction. Now days you have 3 schools plus a couple of private schools. Kids now days have an option to where they can attend school. The fact is kids going to out of zoned schools have been happening all over the state for years and it seems that now its just hitting Dorchester County.
As for the QB at Pinewood I guess he chose to go where he could play since a decision was made to play Taylor and from the looks of it he isn't doing bad at the private school. I thought Duncan was at Ashley Ridge as a freshman then went to the private school and chose to go back to Ashley Ridge (On Duncan I have heard so many things you honestly don't know what is true). Was he zoned for Summerville as a freshman and if so how did Summerville not know about him coming out of middle school. From what I know about the DL at Fort is the coaching staff is why he is at Fort. From what I hear too Taylor/his family have issues with the current staff and how they are handling things and I have heard that he may be out of there next year or he may finish but the other child won't be going there.
I agree about the Freshman QB, if he is a basketball player and thinks he has a future in basketball Summerville might be looking for another QB soon. They might want to start looking now for that.

Summerville has had a lot of talent depart in the last few years. During the early AJ years, brothers moved in and one was a QB. Never allowed him to throw a pass in practice. Prior to the grandson taking over at QB in '08, the next QB in line transferred. Best QB in Dorchester District 2 coming out of middle school in what would be this years senior class was moved to receiver the first day of practice at Summerville; he later transferred. Duncan at AR as well as the Pinewood QB are both zoned for Summerville. Outstanding DL at Fort was at Summerville until this year. There are numerous players who have left the program in the last few yrs in search of greener pastures. As a coaching staff, the exit of talent should be addressed. Gone are the days of players transferring in to Summerville to play; they are leaving now which is making it harder and harder to get wins on Friday night.

Welcome to the world of mediocre football.

\

Bennett is a good basketball player but he's only 6"1 playing the center position. It would be to his advantage to come out and really try to shine as a QB as his frame is more suited for football.

I think our QB situation is as bad as it's ever been. The whole dynamic between Taylor and the O.C. is crazy to me! I have heard that Taylor is hard to coach sometimes, but what I am hearing it's the O.C. that is at fault mostly. I hear he is arrogant and inept which is not only developing problems with Taylor, but also with other players. I don't know a lot about Bennett, other than he is a very good basketball player. I did hear that he struggled to complete a single pass at practice yesterday which doesn't bode well for our chances at Stratford. As far as players at other schools, Duncan was zoned for Summerville, but we supposedly signed off on him going to AR. Dimuzzio at Pinewood left after the season last year before anyone knew Bridges wasn't playing. The D tackle left this summer, heard that it had something to do with our current O.C. who was then a D line coach. I have no idea what direction we are going in, but I do know that if we don't make some changes with our O.C., then these won't be the last kids to transfer out of the program. Sounds like Taylor will be gone, I've heard Burnette will be gone but I doubt it. He has been in the program too long and is quote a Summerville Guy. That being said If the game plan continues like it is I could see him leaving. If those things happen along with the graduation of #24 Felder, #9 Jackson, 64 Ferrell #40 Harris, and #99 Koo, I don't know that we will win a game next season! Hard times for a Greenwave Fan!!!!

No idea about OC, and I will not pile on a kid about whether or not they are coachable. Taylor has left before and returned and may be open to doing it again. Something has to give. Yes, Duncan is zoned for AR and Ville Princ signed off on him going to AR. I expect younger Duncan who is now at GMS as QB will be at AR as well. QB situation at Ville does look bleak, but I think it is a symptom of greater problems in the program.

No idea about OC, and I will not pile on a kid about whether or not they are coachable. Taylor has left before and returned and may be open to doing it again. Something has to give. Yes, Duncan is zoned for AR and Ville Princ signed off on him going to AR. I expect younger Duncan who is now at GMS as QB will be at AR as well. QB situation at Ville does look bleak, but I think it is a symptom of greater problems in the program.
I was by no means piling on Taylor. I was just saying what I had heard in regards to the relationship between QB and OC. I have heard from too many people that the OC is a major problem. It's not only Taylor that he seems to have a problem with, it's anyone who dares question him, parent or player alike. So in my experience when there are multiple problems but one common thread, which in this case seems to be the OC, I lean towards him being the problem. All that being said, his play calling and ineptitude alone is enough to have him removed!

So Summerville signed off on Duncan when he was a freshman to attend AR??? That is where he started school so Bridges was the QB and they figured they had their 4 year starter already and how is little brother is he as good as big brother, does he have the potential to be a QB? Looks like AR is going to try and keep it in the family...lol
Also the current QB at Summerville has left? or had transferred and came back? If that has happened that kind of tells me a few things too. It also tells me why Duncan could not be talked into coming over

I don't know anything about current QB leaving and coming back. If anyone knows anything about that please she'd some light on the subject

I do not know exactly what was happening when Duncan was a Freshmen. Soph yr at PG. Prior to his junior year, the SCHLS rule allowed for players to transfer within the same district without losing any eligibility. Zoned for Ville so he needed to transfer. District first approved the transfer and then the principle of each school must approve it. Got to have a reason; Horticulture. Summerville took a long time to sign his document (1st week of August). From there, all legal to play, but could not go back to Summerville even if he wanted to for a year. Reportedly, younger brother is pretty good at QB as well. Was told that he had worked out all summer with AR, but Summerville would not release him so he is playing MS ball. Not sure how you could make a case to be released by a school you were not attending.
For what it is worth, here is why I think Duncan did not come to Summerville as a jnr/snr. 1) They wanted him to play TE 2) What if Bridges changed his mind and decided to play this yr. No way would the powers in place allow Duncan to start over Bridges. 3) Due to Summerville delaying his date of release and the mandatory one yr rule, he would have very little time between transferring and the first game. 4) Maybe he just wanted to be at AR....
Starting QB at Ville was in the district, left for a year and returned.

I think our QB situation is as bad as it's ever been. The whole dynamic between Taylor and the O.C. is crazy to me! I have heard that Taylor is hard to coach sometimes, but what I am hearing it's the O.C. that is at fault mostly. I hear he is arrogant and inept which is not only developing problems with Taylor, but also with other players. I don't know a lot about Bennett, other than he is a very good basketball player. I did hear that he struggled to complete a single pass at practice yesterday which doesn't bode well for our chances at Stratford. As far as players at other schools, Duncan was zoned for Summerville, but we supposedly signed off on him going to AR. Dimuzzio at Pinewood left after the season last year before anyone knew Bridges wasn't playing. The D tackle left this summer, heard that it had something to do with our current O.C. who was then a D line coach. I have no idea what direction we are going in, but I do know that if we don't make some changes with our O.C., then these won't be the last kids to transfer out of the program. Sounds like Taylor will be gone, I've heard Burnette will be gone but I doubt it. He has been in the program too long and is quote a Summerville Guy. That being said If the game plan continues like it is I could see him leaving. If those things happen along with the graduation of #24 Felder, #9 Jackson, 64 Ferrell #40 Harris, and #99 Koo, I don't know that we will win a game next season! Hard times for a Greenwave Fan!!!!

Duncan was zoned for Summerville........The Summerville Rebels.......:rolleyes:

Well if you look at the past QB Summerville has had a few family members that were the starting QB and some of the better athletes didn't play or transferred for whatever reason even back in the day. Now days Summerville isn't the only school in the district and that was the biggest advantage until the early 2000's is Summerville was the main school. Even when Fort Dorchester was started back in 1992 Summerville was the main attraction. Now days you have 3 schools plus a couple of private schools. Kids now days have an option to where they can attend school. The fact is kids going to out of zoned schools have been happening all over the state for years and it seems that now its just hitting Dorchester County.
As for the QB at Pinewood I guess he chose to go where he could play since a decision was made to play Taylor and from the looks of it he isn't doing bad at the private school. I thought Duncan was at Ashley Ridge as a freshman then went to the private school and chose to go back to Ashley Ridge (On Duncan I have heard so many things you honestly don't know what is true). Was he zoned for Summerville as a freshman and if so how did Summerville not know about him coming out of middle school. From what I know about the DL at Fort is the coaching staff is why he is at Fort. From what I hear too Taylor/his family have issues with the current staff and how they are handling things and I have heard that he may be out of there next year or he may finish but the other child won't be going there.
I agree about the Freshman QB, if he is a basketball player and thinks he has a future in basketball Summerville might be looking for another QB soon. They might want to start looking now for that.
At this time the Summerville football program is a bad train wreck. I believe the problem arose a number of years ago when McKissick decided to stay well beyond his time. Had they recruited a young, proven coach from outside Summerville they would not have had any problem getting any candidates, knowing Summerville history and tradition. One can say that nepotism has destroyed the program, and that is sad. I saw it coming years ago when Call returned to become a coach, put into place over some other good coaches. Now for some time to come, if the current practice continues, the fan base will drastically diminish and they will be playing in front of parents only. I wish the 'good old boy' system didn't exist, but it is so ingrained within the system, it will take many years to change, if ever. A sad fact, yet a fact that cannot be overlooked if the program is to maintain its glory.

DAMN, YALL ARE ON YALLS SECOND COACH IN 60 YEARS, YOU SHOULD BE ME HAD 7 DIFFERENT COACHES IN THAT TIME- I WILL RATE THEM
1. JERRY BROWN, 2 AND 3.GERALD MOODY( HE WAS THERE TWICE) , 4. ED FOSTER , 5. LADSON CUBBAGE, 6. JEFF CRUZE, 7. DENNIS SWYGERT, 8. BOB RANKIN
SO GET READY FOR MANY DIFFERENT COACHES, CAUSE I HAVE SEEN A BUNCH:oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops:

Last edited:
DAMN, YALL ARE ON YALLS SECOND COACH IN 60 YEARS, YOU SHOULD BE ME HAD 7 DIFFERENT COACHES IN THAT TIME- I WILL RATE THEM
1. JERRY BROWN, 2 AND 3.GERALD MOODY( HE WAS THERE TWICE) , 4. ED FOSTER , 5. LADSON CUBBAGE, 6. JEFF CRUZE, 7. DENNIS SWYGERT
SO GET READY FOR MANY DIFFERENT COACHES, CAUSE I HAVE SEEN A BUNCH:oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops:

Cruze is not done yet he still has time to take over #1 spot.......

AFTER FATHER TIME RETIRES, THEY BRING IN GRANDSON AND THE PROOF IS IN THE PUDDING. SAD DAYS AHEAD FOR THE WAVE, THE QB IS OUT, INTER-CONFLICT AND FANS BAILING OUT ON THE DREAM TEAM, I TRIED TO TELL THE GREEN WEENIES THAT I HAVE SEEN 7 COACH CHANGES IN MY LIFE. THEY ARE JUST FEELING THE PAINS THAT MANY HAVE FELT ???

1. MOODY WAS FIRST, HE BAILED OUT FOR SANFORD, NC
2. BOB RANKIN STAYED A FEW YEARS AND BAILED FOR JOHNSONVILLE & MARION
3. ED FOSTER WAS NEXT AND HE BAILED TO A COLLEGE TEAM
4. LADSON CUBBAGE WAS FIRED AFTER HE FEW YEARS AND MOODY RETURNED
5. MOODY STAYED AND WON 1981 AND LOST 1986 STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS
6. DENNIS SWYGERT LASTED A FEW YEARS STRUGGLING AND QUIT
7. JERRY BROWN WON US THREE CHAMPIONSHIPS AND LEFT US
8. JEFF CRUZE- SO FAR HE HAS STRUGGLED, NOT SURE HE WILL SURVIVE.
9. ????????????

I chose to keep my son out of Summerville as well. He goes to Cane Bay.

The starting FS at West Ashley is also zoned for Summerville but chose to attend and play at West Ashley where his parents work. The kid played at AR his freshman year but missed his sophomore year due to a knee injury.

I chose to keep my son out of Summerville as well. He goes to Cane Bay.
The people who support Greenwave football are still living in the era where Summerville had one mega school and had more and better players than most other schools, thus the winning tradition. Now, they have to offer something to entice students to play for them because they have a choice. It seems people were more concerned with coach McKissick's record than the program. Big John is no longer in charge and they are now paying the price.

NEPOTISM is what has throttled the Summerville football program. I have always heard that for years now they have played kids of friends and their own kids instead of playing their best. If you are a kid who is good then why would you play for a program that will keep you standing on the sidelines? It also goes beyond players because Summerville has also had opportunities to hire good football coaches but have chosen not to. They are no longer the big school of Dorchester District 2 and the talent level is split between AR/Fort and them. The days of not coaching and beating other schools with talent is gone. Now, like everyone else, they have to build from 9th grade up and they have NEVER approached it that way. Everyone else is years ahead in that capacity. An outside approach with a new attitude and philosophy is what will return Summerville to its winning ways.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT