ADVERTISEMENT

MY THOUGHTS ON THE VILLE

At this time the Summerville football program is a bad train wreck. I believe the problem arose a number of years ago when McKissick decided to stay well beyond his time. Had they recruited a young, proven coach from outside Summerville they would not have had any problem getting any candidates, knowing Summerville history and tradition. One can say that nepotism has destroyed the program, and that is sad. I saw it coming years ago when Call returned to become a coach, put into place over some other good coaches. Now for some time to come, if the current practice continues, the fan base will drastically diminish and they will be playing in front of parents only. I wish the 'good old boy' system didn't exist, but it is so ingrained within the system, it will take many years to change, if ever. A sad fact, yet a fact that cannot be overlooked if the program is to maintain its glory.
The program is in fact a train wreck; nepotism, good old boy system, disregarding kids who do not fit the perceived mold and continuing the tradition of red shirting players all work to distance the locals from the program. These items are a common perception in the community and result in talent transferring out of the school, many even before they ever wear the green and gold. All of these things are ingrained in the culture of the program as many of the coaches were a part of these practices as players and now continue the tradition. I think the program is at the peak of dysfunctional as many of the coaches, district employees, neighbors and friends all have kids who are now in the system. Pretty easy to argue that for all of the reasons above, the right players may not be on the field or on the team. Sadly, many of these men have devoted their coaching careers to this program, but only through a purging of the coaching staff can I see how this situation changes. Best of luck to all involved!

The program is in fact a train wreck; nepotism, good old boy system, disregarding kids who do not fit the perceived mold and continuing the tradition of red shirting players all work to distance the locals from the program. These items are a common perception in the community and result in talent transferring out of the school, many even before they ever wear the green and gold. All of these things are ingrained in the culture of the program as many of the coaches were a part of these practices as players and now continue the tradition. I think the program is at the peak of dysfunctional as many of the coaches, district employees, neighbors and friends all have kids who are now in the system. Pretty easy to argue that for all of the reasons above, the right players may not be on the field or on the team. Sadly, many of these men have devoted their coaching careers to this program, but only through a purging of the coaching staff can I see how this situation changes. Best of luck to all involved!
Thank you for your astute observations of the program. It is unfortunate those who are involved with the program fail to see what many other do. I have seen this coming for years, but obviously those in charge like what they have, but that will change when fan support and money for the program is no longer the engineer driving the train. I hope someone envisions the problem and corrects it before it is too late. Unfortunately, it may already be too late.

The starting FS at West Ashley is also zoned for Summerville but chose to attend and play at West Ashley where his parents work. The kid played at AR his freshman year but missed his sophomore year due to a knee injury.
Mom works at Summerville and they live a rocks throw from the school. Dad is back to coaching at WA after a couple of seasons at AR and son is with him.

Mom works at Summerville and they live a rocks throw from the school. Dad is back to coaching at WA after a couple of seasons at AR and son is with him.
That is a shame. If the dad is a high school coach then he could of coached for the wave possibly. The kid is a very good football player who could start at Summerville.

Last edited:
That is a shame. If the dad is a high school coach then he could of coached for the wave possibly. The kid is a very good football player who could start at Summerville.

That is a shame. Not like we couldn't use a safety or a few DB's at The Ville lol!

So slick. You are GS194 also?
How about wave doc?
Are you him to?

EYE AM SLICK NOBODY ELSE, GREEN SLIMIES, ASK JB, HE CAN TELL YOU IF I AM DIFFERENT POSTERS
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT