ADVERTISEMENT

Nike Combine In Charlotte Saturday

Michael struggles with the powerball toss ... hasn't figured it out yet ... he's plenty strong .. any tips?

My son has never done the powerball. He has a max bench of 285 but also cleans 285. Just hope he can get in the mid -high thirties. But being his first time he may not do that good.

My son has never done the powerball. He has a max bench of 285 but also cleans 285. Just hope he can get in the mid -high thirties. But being his first time he may not do that good.
Michael benches 330 ... but has smaller weaker players out throw him .. there is a technique that he hasn't gotten yet. He's only right at 30' maybe 34' if he hits it. A big throw means alot at his weight. He posted a 91.32 last year with a 30' throw .. wish he would be 35+ .. we'll see on saturday .. good luck to your son. Has he never done a sparq combine? what class is he in? Michael has done the last two years

Mid-high 30's probably isnt realistic .... somewhere around 40' will win the event, unless there is a huge stud lineman weighing 300# plus

Just look at Chicago SPARQ, last weekend .... 45' won it but 2nd place was 40' ... 35' was in 8th place .. so he doesn't have to gave a huge throw. The Charlotte SPARQ last year had over 1600 people. This one should be 200 people ... we have been told that Michael would be invited to stay for the Open Regional that afternoon. I hope it's happens.

Is anybody going to be at the Nike combine Saturday?

AirportDad, I'll be there; I'm coaching the Elite 11 camp; as for the powerball, get him outside and let him toss a car tire a few times back and forth across the yard. It's the same rotational force as he'll use in the powerball toss and what I use for my quarterbacks. Toss it from standing position. If you want, I'll come over and work with him one night.

AirportDad, I'll be there; I'm coaching the Elite 11 camp; as for the powerball, get him outside and let him toss a car tire a few times back and forth across the yard. It's the same rotational force as he'll use in the powerball toss and what I use for my quarterbacks. Toss it from standing position. If you want, I'll come over and work with him one night.
Is it better to work with a tire if you have a medicine ball (3kg)? are you saying to toss the tire with the same movement you use for powerball toss? like a chest pass? Appreciate any suggestions

Is it better to work with a tire if you have a medicine ball (3kg)? are you saying to toss the tire with the same movement you use for powerball toss? like a chest pass? Appreciate any suggestions

That's right; they went to the chest pass throw; when we first started the Power Ball we initially did the rotational throw and then they went to chest for FB and rotational for Baseball/Softball.

Either way, it is always better to use the medicine ball if you have one. It's just a lot of people don't have them.

I'm so used to using tires for my quarterbacks to do rotational tosses. I resistance band their legs and make them side shuffle to the tire, rotational toss it, and chase it with the side shuffle (resistance) and repeat it over. We do that across the field.

I have worked at plenty of SPARQ and NFTC Camps over the years.

For a good Power Ball Toss, you need explosive hips, a strong core and ideal trajectory.

Recruits that have never tossed a power ball think the power comes from the arms. Not true. Arms are vital, you want a good release, full extension and palms out. But the power comes from the hips. Trajectory is very vital. Too low, or too high and you lose distance. Ideal trajectory would be no lower than 30 degrees, no higher than 45 degrees.

I did find a video that may help with practicing the toss. I didn't look hard, there may be better.
Hope this helps.

That's right; they went to the chest pass throw; when we first started the Power Ball we initially did the rotational throw and then they went to chest for FB and rotational for Baseball/Softball.

Either way, it is always better to use the medicine ball if you have one. It's just a lot of people don't have them.

I'm so used to using tires for my quarterbacks to do rotational tosses. I resistance band their legs and make them side shuffle to the tire, rotational toss it, and chase it with the side shuffle (resistance) and repeat it over. We do that across the field.

For a good Power Ball Toss, you need explosive hips, a strong core and ideal trajectory.

Recruits that have never tossed a power ball think the power comes from the arms. Not true. Arms are vital, you want a good release, full extension and palms out. But the power comes from the hips. Trajectory is very vital. Too low, or too high and you lose distance. Ideal trajectory would be no lower than 30 degrees, no higher than 45 degrees.

I did find a video that may help with practicing the toss. I didn't look hard, there may be better.
Hope this helps.

It seems like a taller player would have an advantage as their release as they lean/launch forward is further across the starting line, before releasing the ball. Is that true or a mis-conception on my part? Just curious

Just like guys with shorter arms do better in the bench press....

o_O

It should make people absolutely MARVEL at the Clowneys, Bowers, and Goodmans of the world... they have arms that are like 4 feet long... they have to get the bar off the rack with bents elbows because they can't fully extend to press it up and and off....

:confused:

Amazing...

Reactions: Neilgrimsley
Found this on Twitter...not bad for the big fellow.........
Big numbers at #TheOpening Charlotte for #Gamecocks commit Bryan Edwards include a 4.53 40 and 37.7" vertical, 36 powerball

The powerball killed Michael again .. I'm glad he will probably never see that again. lol

My son, Michael had a 4.6 / 40 (electronic timed) .. 4.25 shuttle ( had a 4.07 last year).... 33.3" vert ( had a 36.5" last year) ... and a crappy 29' powerball .. he did ok .. still in the 93% percentile .. not as good as he hoped for ..
He only is committed to one more combine .. The Shrine Bowl in Irmo in June.... spring practice didn't let him have as much time to work on combine events .. It showed .. he wasn't as sharp as he thought he would be.

CEmDYEJUIAACQVS.jpg

Congrats on earning your spot in the premier football experience of the year. Welcome to #TheOpening finals. #GOTOPEN

Congrats to Bryan Edwards!!!!

Reactions: Neilgrimsley

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the video .. I had never found one that shows exercises to improve my son's power ball ... if only it would have come out a year ago... a day before the combine was no help for us ... but it will help others. I know my son is happy that he probably will never be asked to do the Power Ball again ... ready to do bench press instead ..

My son slipped on all three shuttles. had 4.8. He was also a little sore after first week of spring practice. 5.13 forty. He did get 33 ft. on the powerball in his first time ever doing it. Was not a great performance by numbers but has never really worked on any of the skills. It appeared a lot of people were slipping on the shuttle.

My son slipped on all three shuttles. had 4.8. He was also a little sore after first week of spring practice. 5.13 forty. He did get 33 ft. on the powerball in his first time ever doing it. Was not a great performance by numbers but has never really worked on any of the skills. It appeared a lot of people were slipping on the shuttle.
How was his vert? The first one is always the hardest .

These are from the Open Regional that was held in the afternoon .. They are quite a bit higher than the combine numbers. They are great numbers. Bryan Edwards competed in the Shrine Bowl combine at West Florence a few weeks ago and posted a world class 11'8" broad jump. He is probably the best athlete South Florence will meet in the regular season (he's in their region) .. problem is whats around him. South beat them pretty bad last season, and Edwards was not a problem as they never threw to him. Hopefully the same results this season ... other than that game I wish him all the luck in the world.

25.5 I think. Was a little Better than All state.
what class is your son? does he have a few more years of the power ball? I really think that was a good training video that was posted .. just too late to be of any use to my son ... we're done with that ball .. lol

Full results will be out shortly at Studentsports.com .... Was he at the SPARQ combine or the Open Regional? Can find either at the same site in a few days. Nike has been quick this year to get them out as several of the combines have been limited to 200 athletes (vrs 1600+ in Charlotte last year)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT