ADVERTISEMENT

North Augusta at Midland Valley

NA's defense was great last night and Washington played a really good game. Now we get to go annihilate Aiken next week

This SC/GA AAAA vs AAA issue is kind of splitting hairs.

Based on the realignment effective 2016 - 2017 school year SC AAAA will be closer to Ga AAAA in regard to enrollment numbers. In 2016 Midland Valley with approximately 1,190 will be in the same AAAA region with NA that currently has approximately 1,430. Burke County currently has approximately 1,182, a whopping 8 less than Midland Valley, and is a small AAAA in Ga. Riverdale is largest AAAA in Ga. with approximately 1,393. Hartsville is smallest AAAA in SC with approximately 1,399. Largest AAAA in SC is Wando with approximately 3,551. Millcreek in GA AAAAAA is largest in Ga. with approximately 3,708.

NA has had somewhat of an enrollment increase recently. A few years ago there was a good chance they were going to fall to AAA. If NA were in Ga. they would be one of the smallest AAAAA schools. If 40 students transferred from NA they would be AAAA in Ga. and AAA in SC under the current alignment.

I guess this issue about school size and Ga. AAAA vs SC AAAA was to try to discredit NA's win over Burke as if they really beat a AAA team. Burke is a very good program that would give most SC AAAA teams a good game and probably beat most. If they were in SC AAA they would beat most and probably have a good shot at playing in Columbia in December.This was a solid win for NA.

It was a good win. But your own NA guy was touting it big time about a 4A GA school that in fact has less students than your win over 3A Midland Valley.

I was told that NA and MV are the faster growing zones in Aiken. Course I also heard that SA opened with about 60 more students than was estimated.

Talking to people who install turf, and players who play on it, it does take a bit of getting use to from leg strength to adapting to a hotter surface as much as 10-15 degrees. This information came from college coaches and athletic trainers I know. I would geuss North Augusta has been practicing on it at least 3 weeks which will give them a tremendous advantage on knowing how to cut and adapt to it over those who have not played on it before, or less regularly.

That is true. Adjusting to play on turf is not easy and it gives NA another advantage other than the home field...The great thing about this game is ST will have just as many fans as NA, so it won't be intimidating for ST...That stadium will be rocking...

Reading the comments going back and forth on the North Augusta vs Midland Valley game, two thing lost it for the Valley. 1) the ran out of time. They wasted too much in the first half trying to bully NA around. 2) the coaching was ridiculous! If Strom Thurmond comes in and minimize's the errors and plays hard nose football they will beat North Augusta. It is quite probable they will lose to Burke County this week and that will start the downward roller coaster! Watch and see if I am not correct.

You might not have been right about everything, but you were right about ST beating NA

If what I heard about the NA QB taking a beatdown from the NA coach that kids confidence could be in question the rest of the season. Heard through the wire that he had originally planned to go to Fox Creek if he had not gotten the starting job at NA. We shall see if the rest of my prophecy comes to fruition or if they can bounce back. I think back to Bart Starr telling Lombardi: "If you expect me to lead these men you can't berate me in front of them. Do it in the office"!!

If the NA QB can't handle the heat of that position he needs to go to Fox Creek! Every QB that has been through NA for the last decade has caught heat from the coaches at one point or another. Everyone of them were big time winners! Anyone that has followed NA recently knows this is true.

If what I heard about the NA QB taking a beatdown from the NA coach that kids confidence could be in question the rest of the season. Heard through the wire that he had originally planned to go to Fox Creek if he had not gotten the starting job at NA. We shall see if the rest of my prophecy comes to fruition or if they can bounce back. I think back to Bart Starr telling Lombardi: "If you expect me to lead these men you can't berate me in front of them. Do it in the office"!!

NA did use three different qb's against us.

If he had gone to Fox Creek after entering the ninth grade he would have sat out a year, which means he would not be playing at all this year. Are you saying he was promised the starting job at NA while still in the eighth grade if he would enroll at NA the next year as a freshman? Pippin was still around then and I doubt he would have made those kind of promises. He would have had to start in the ninth grade if what you are saying is correct. That would have been a tall order taking into consideration NA's QB last year had been starting for three years.

Last edited:
The Gunslinger is hitting the target about the coaches being tough on the QB's at NA. All of them have been chewed on a few times. Heck, this is football. Probably no different anywhere else.

Gunslinger what I was told was that he was as a tenth grader considering going to Fox Creek and he would have been eligible if his parents moved to Edgefield Co. which is across I-20. In the last 10 years NA has only had 2 10th grade starting QB's and one of them got the job only after the Senior transfer got hurt although many thought he should have been starting in the first place. The other one I am told took a real beating both from the coaches and the media. Not good thing for a young 15 yr old kid. Especially if they are not mature. I don't know about this kid.

Well if the kid moves into Edgefield Co, he need not waste his time playing at Fox Creek....He might as well come play with a team that has a rich tradition so he can win some football games....ST would love to have him...

I'm all for being tough on.your players, but it seems like the coach might be putting to much pressure on this young man's shoulders. This kid faced one of the most physical defensive teams he might see all season...Coach Hillary pressed NA WR's the entire game while putting pressure on the QB at the same time....That kid made some.Great passes, but ST didn't give up the deep balls....we were able to minimize the yards after the catch every down...That's very important...it also forces the QB to 've very accurate...eventually, he is going to throw an int....

Reactions: mathetes
BIG-PLAY DEFENSE: North Augusta entered Friday night averaging 29 points per game over a 4-0 start, but Strom Thurmond did what the Yellow Jackets’ first four opponents couldn’t.
The Rebel defense held the Yellow Jackets offense scoreless by playing more physical, creating a push up front and sticking to receivers. They forced two fumbles and picked off two passes.
North Augusta tried to create a spark in the second half by playing different skill players, such as quarterback
Neko Williams and running back Tavion Davis, but nothing changed as the Rebels produced their best defensive effort so far to move to 5-0.
“I thought the game came down to decision making at quarterback and how we played up front,” Rebels coach
Antwaun Hillary said. “At crucial times, we got it done up front.”

Reactions: mathetes
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT