ADVERTISEMENT

Northwester @ Boiling Springs

BS100

Two Year Starter
Feb 26, 2013
Sr. Jordan Smith, standing on third base in a tension packed game as thick as molasses. The two best teams in the state squaring off in an epic battle. Bottom of the ninth (9th), score tied 2-2.

Big bat Brooke Palmer at bat, and the coaches call a suicide squeeze. The pitch is easily 2 foot off the plate as Brooke lunges for it, miss. The catcher bobbles it slightly and looks and Jordan Smith is caught vulnerable directly between 3rd and home. This tremendous athlete reverses field trying so hard to get back. Extends her most athletic, trim, lean body, head first slide toward third as the catcher rifles the bobbled ball to get an out.

The ball is high and tips off the third basemans glove as the most beautiful of our players in Jordan Smith (they all are), jumps up and in an instant starts running home. This time Jordan Smith does a feet first slide at home base and barely, just barely, beats the throw back from third base to home to score the game winning run.

Jordan Smith won this game tonite. Boiling Springs 3 ... Northwestern 2.

The sequence of events was poetry in motion. To pull it off, required the exact changes in direction, the superior speed that Jordan has, and the sacrifice required of all the lady bulldogs to put their own body in harms way for the greater good of the Lady Bulldogs.

Before that, 7th grader Arrissa Edwards with sub 2.9 speed, ran from second base on a ball hit just behind the first basemans head. No player on the planet can make it that far, that fast, but Arrissa did and resulted in a massive collision at home against a hard nose, superior catcher who let her have it. No matter, Arrissa Edwards was fast enough to make it and the run scored to tie this epic battle at 2-2.

Before that, sophomore Emma Williams placed a perfectly placed bunt down to get the tying run on base, before sub runner Edwards entered. What a great bunt, a key bunt, and one of the reasons the Lady Bulldogs prevailed.

The superstars of this team did their part. Sr. Webber Roberts had a HR (5, tm 37) to get the game within reach at 2-1.. Sr. Myranda Dills had a key RBI with Edwards to get the game to 2-2. Jr. McKenna Quinn locked down the pitching after Northwestern got to her early in the 1st to gain an early 2-0 lead.

It is the ordinary stars who make the Boiling Springs Lady Bulldogs the team they are. The Jordan Smith's. The Arrissa Edwards. The Emma Williams. They must be honored.

The Northwestern Lady Trojans are easily the best team we have faced. Pitcher Kori Wancheck is dominant. Kori Wancheck dominated our most potent batting line-up. The coaches at Boiling Springs will have to figure it out. For I fully expect the great Northwestern Lady Trojans back at some point.

Boiling Springs (27-2) plays at Clover Monday night in the winners round of the upper state championship. The mighty Clover Lady Eagles are a great, great team. And traveling there makes it all the more difficult. It is the big time folks. More to come.

Last edited:
Please understand BS100 has absolutely no official capacity for the Boiling Springs School District, nor the Boiling Springs Lady Bulldog Softball Team. Just a parent of a senior player who volunteers his time to help with promotional effects for this team.

Every attempt is made to be factually correct. Though a certain small amount of embellishment may occur in the stories. For example errors from the defensive team can become great hits by the offense, just depending on the perspective.

During the formation of stories, it sometimes takes time. Sometimes the literary line is crossed, as I get too close to the fire. Rest assured each parent has a direct text line to myself. And on very rare occasions these lines are used to present a more effective story.

There are a precious few games left in this season, and BS100 will be forced to hang up his literary cleats. For in order to bring these wonderful softball players to life, it is necessary to be around not only the team players, but the parents. Without this internal knowledge it will be impossible to write the stories that are written.

It has been a wonderful ride. I am most honored by the respect shown by the softball community, who could expose elements of stories as they are being written. I thank them for showing the patience and not making attempts to embarrass myself as my attempts are only to try to serve the greater good.

Thank you,
BS100

Last edited:
BS. For what it is worth, I enjoy reading your reports and your ability to put a positive light on all of the teams/kids. We all know there are teams and players out there that are just BAD. No sense it pointing it out on a message board.
As for your writing style; "Never let the truth get in the way of a good story". In addition, heard a teacher tell a younge student once "when writing, use your ESPN words" which I think you have mastered.
I would also encourage you to NOT hang up your literary cleats once your player moves on. IMO, your vision and insite will become even more valuable when you do not have a dog in the fight.

Last edited:
Thanks, you are very kind. There is more growth in life somewhere, And looking forward to finding it now that my nest is clearing out.

BS100 thanks for all the updates and stories you have posted. Hopefully you will still come around next year and give your commentary to all. I look forward to reading it. Wish we had more sports reporters like you across the state.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT