ADVERTISEMENT

ORTRE SMITH

GS194

Two Year Starter
Jan 22, 2015
Hearing he may be leaving Wando. Anyone got any information on this either way? JB, assuming you see him this weekend, find out what is up.

I heard the same, but also heard Summerville and AR mentioned. Fort would make some sense, but no way could I see him attending the other 2 based on what they have (don't have) returning. Ortre is a GREAT kid!

Last edited:
The Fort continues to have the top Recruiting Classes in South Carolina year after year...

LOL

:D:p:D

Reactions: 2000tiger
Can't knock The Fort! The rich get richer. I don't have a problem with the kid leaving a situation for a better one. Wish he was going somewhere other than The Fort tho.

I think the Ortre to Summerville rumor started from talk that He and Burnette would love to play together and that they are friends. From what I understand it was really close because of that, but Fort is a better situation for him.

I think the Ortre to Summerville rumor started from talk that He and Burnette would love to play together and that they are friends. From what I understand it was really close because of that, but Fort is a better situation for him.
They all workout with Mal Lawyer. Including Dakereaon.

Latest I have heard is he is staying as is Call. Can't see Ortre going to Summerville, but Fort seems realistic. Without rumors, would there even be a need for a message board?

They had injuries everywhere, going thru 3 QB's and receivers being injured. Have no idea what the Oline looks like this season, but hopefully they are better. I guess we will just have to wait and see if anyone transfers in or out before we can grade them.

In three years, ALL the best players from lowcountry schools will be attending Oceanside Athletic Academy in Mt. Pleasant. It will be a national powerhouse like IMG Academy in Florida. A player like Smith would easily go there. They will have a football team full of nothing but 5 star players and they will playing Wando, West Ashley, James Island, Goose Creek, and all of the DD2 schools. Look for them to be in Columbia every year and carrying the hardware back to Mt. Pleasant with them.

In three years, ALL the best players from lowcountry schools will be attending Oceanside Athletic Academy in Mt. Pleasant. It will be a national powerhouse like IMG Academy in Florida. A player like Smith would easily go there. They will have a football team full of nothing but 5 star players and they will playing Wando, West Ashley, James Island, Goose Creek, and all of the DD2 schools. Look for them to be in Columbia every year and carrying the hardware back to Mt. Pleasant with them.

Hmmm... interesting. And where exactly are they building this mecca of high school football at over there?

o_O

So another school like Gray is going to open. Just from experience, many of the kids that go to Gray would not have gotten a lot of playing time at the high school they were zoned to go to. Many of the kids will start there and then return to the high school they are zone for, only to learn that they will lose a year of eligibility because they didn't move when they transferred back.

I coach a lot of kids that say they want to go to Gray. I speak to their parents and try to explain to them that their child will play against much better competition if they go to the local AAAA, soon to be AAAAA, high school. I am actually waiting to see when Gray starts a Middle School version of their current school. I figure that it will become a reality sooner than people in the Columbia area really think.

JB,
Did you see Tre this weekend? Any confirmation on him leaving Wando?

JB,
Did you see Tre this weekend? Any confirmation on him leaving Wando?
He was not there; two Wando QBs were there; neither seemed to know anything other than what I had already heard - that he may be going to Fort D

I would not be so quick to assume he is going to Fort D. I mean don't get me wrong it seems like the obvious choice, but things are not always so obvious. I think there may be something else in play here.

Summerville would not surprise me completely. Strictly from a football perspective, it would not make sense in my opinion. Head Coach? O line? QB? He has connections there beyond Cam which include some of the current coaches, players and parents of players. Outside of football, an entire list of things could influence where a family chooses to have their kid attend high school.

Have no idea about the connections at Summerville. I have always thought that if he was leaving that it would be to go to Fort D, but the Summerville angle seems to keep hanging around. Who knows how any of this is going to play out, but I hope the kid makes the best decision for him. If we can have a legitimate QB in the backfield the whole season, having Cam and Ortre together would have to be tough for any Defense

Have no idea about the connections at Summerville. I have always thought that if he was leaving that it would be to go to Fort D, but the Summerville angle seems to keep hanging around. Who knows how any of this is going to play out, but I hope the kid makes the best decision for him. If we can have a legitimate QB in the backfield the whole season, having Cam and Ortre together would have to be tough for any Defense
But is there a legitimate quarterback?

To answer JB, NO! JB, you have seen Ortre at several camps I presume. All the chatter is about him as WR, I feel he would project as a safety at a larger D-1. Great WR, yes, but really impressed with him when I have seen him at DB. Thoughts?

To answer JB, NO! JB, you have seen Ortre at several camps I presume. All the chatter is about him as WR, I feel he would project as a safety at a larger D-1. Great WR, yes, but really impressed with him when I have seen him at DB. Thoughts?
I don't know if he has the explosive speed functionally as a safety. I do think he's got what he needs to be a major WR impact.

What was I thinking answering about Ville QBs. You tell us JB, have you saw a legit QB wearing Green and Gold?

I'm not JB, but I will say the Taylor kid showed signs last season. Threw for over 300 and ran for over 200 against Wando. Didn't get a chance to see him play against Fort D or AR so can't really say. Did play well against Goose Creek. Injuries kept us from seeing how capable he really was, but if you have two of the top 10 receivers in the state you don't have to be Joe Montana to be successful.

I'm not JB, but I will say the Taylor kid showed signs last season. Threw for over 300 and ran for over 200 against Wando. Didn't get a chance to see him play against Fort D or AR so can't really say. Did play well against Goose Creek. Injuries kept us from seeing how capable he really was, but if you have two of the top 10 receivers in the state you don't have to be Joe Montana to be successful.
Two of the top ten WRs? This is a pretty deep class at that position. Not sure I'd say two of the top ten are wearing Green and Gold.

Two of the top ten WRs? This is a pretty deep class at that position. Not sure I'd say two of the top ten are wearing Green and Gold.
You don't think that Smith and Burnette together would be considered two of the top ten in the state? Or did you think I was talking about what they currently have on their roster?

I agree completely with that! Doesn't make sense, but it is nice to wish. Not sure either of them will be there the way things are going at Summerville! Have no idea why they are prolonging this announcement!

Everyone of those players were held in check pretty good against West Ashley, Colleton, Fort D and even AR.

Smith would be top ten in the state. The other isn't in the top 5 in the lower state. You have the Two WR's out of Hilton head, WR from Ft. D, WR from Bluffton, Smith at Wando, plus a few others in the lower state that are good So in my opinion only Smith would be in the top ten, not the other kid who has yet to have a break out year at summerville.

To answer JB, NO! JB, you have seen Ortre at several camps I presume. All the chatter is about him as WR, I feel he would project as a safety at a larger D-1. Great WR, yes, but really impressed with him when I have seen him
Smith would be top ten in the state. The other isn't in the top 5 in the lower state. You have the Two WR's out of Hilton head, WR from Ft. D, WR from Bluffton, Smith at Wando, plus a few others in the lower state that are good So in my opinion only Smith would be in the top ten, not the other kid who has yet to have a break out year at summerville.
The kid at Colleton County is legit. I believe he is a rising junior.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT