ADVERTISEMENT

Pathfinder Vol. 1

darth vomitus

All-State Pick
Jul 9, 2005
Back in 2009 Kevin Emily moved to South Carolina and revived a White Knoll program that had been down for many years. He is currently leading the charge, along with Shaun Alford, to establish wrestling in Aiken county - an area that has never sponsored the sport. Recently he took some time to write and publish a book on African-American wrestlers. I bought a copy and thoroughly enjoyed it.

The book details the careers of many of the pioneering black athletes in this country that have excelled in wrestling on a national and international level. From Harold Henson, the first African-American to qualify for the NCAA tournament, to the Carr family Pathfinder Vol. 1 tells the stories of a few of this countries most accomplished wrestlers and their rise to greatness. Along the way Coach Emily mixes in anecdotes of his time interviewing these champions, or their family members, and his personal relationships with several of them.

I feel that we are seeing a rise in African-American participation in wrestling nationally. I remember a time when I would see only a few black athletes participating in the NCAA Div I tournament and even fewer in the finals. Now it is quite common to see minorities excelling in the tournament. Having more African-American, as well as Hispanic, athletes drawn to wrestling is fantastic for a sport that at times struggles to stay relevant in today's age. We have always had a large number of black wrestlers in South Carolina due to being a southern state, but I remember back in the 1980's when only Rock Hill's team filled the majority of their weight classes with African-American kids while the other two top teams - Summerville and Irmo - were predominantly white. Now it seems that that their is more of an equal breakdown of the races participating in the vast majority of schools.

Pathfinder Vol.1 is an interesting and informative read for anyone that loves the oldest and greatest sport, and I think it would be very motivational for any African-American wrestlers especially. Maybe you coaches who have a number of black athletes on your team can get a copy and pass it around.

I bought my paperback copy directly from Coach Emily. Don't quote me, but I believe I paid $21 which included shipping. So go get a copy and give it a read. I understand that interviews for Vol. 2 are already complete.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT