ADVERTISEMENT

Pound for Pound Rankings

mhs125

Rookie
Dec 19, 2007
I thought it would interesting to see some pound for pound rankings now that the state tournament is over. So I created my own (rather hastily) as a jumping point for conversation sake.

4A
1. Rudy 195 Cane Bay
2. Sass 113 Summerville
3. Collins 170 Summerville
4. Knipper 120 Socastee
5. Deveaux 182 Stratford
6. Clary 120 Gaffney

This is where it got much harder. The top 6 on this list are absolute studs, all with multiple state championships.

7. Leitten 126 Fort Mill
8. Burton 103 Dutch Fork
9. Strong 132 Fort Mill
10. Seitz 145 Bluffton
11. Byerley 132 Nation Ford
12. Carrigan 126 Westwood
13. Mota 152 Sumter
14. Crowder 160 Greenwood
15. Palmer 152 White Knoll

Honorable Mentions-
Whitney 120 Ashley Ridge
Burris 138 White Knoll
Alford 160 Fort Dorchester
Manning 182 Lexington
Gibbs 220 Summerville
Conrad 285 Clover
Simpson 285 Fort Dorchester

I'm not familiar enough with the other classifications to include them.

Where did I mess up? Who is two high/low? Who got left out?

Submit your own rankings if you can do better! Or, if you're that knowledgeable, create an all classification ranking.

Pound for pound I like AJ Leitten over anyone. i have always enjoyed watching him wrestle!

This post was edited on 3/2 9:44 PM by kimrey03

Ryan Victory 160 from Wade Hampton is somewhere on that list. 160 4a was easily one of the toughest weight this year and all of those boys deserve to be talked about. All had impressive wins throughout the season.

This post was edited on 3/3 12:14 AM by tjmccollister68

Having only seen the majority of these guys this weekend, I agree with Leitten. He's a hammer on top, super active on his feet, and will only get better as he matures and puts muscle on. Think he would be primed for a solid run at Cadets this year if he decides to go.

From what I saw this weekend:

1) Leitten- see above
2) Collins- Tough on top and really difficult to score on.
3) Sass- Lightning.
4) Rudy- Just plain huge. Can't imagine he's fun to get stuck under if you attack.
5) Knipper- Really fun to watch. Fought in every position.

Dylan Gary (152) from BHP should be on that list. Completely dominated his weight class. Pinned his way through Region, Upper-State and State. 2x state champ, 4x finalist....

Chappel from Central and Powell from the Berry (both 3 timers). The marion 152 shocked me how good he was. I knew the Mcollough kid from Chesnee was good, but the marion kid put on a clinic.

Freshman from Battery creek at 106.

AA/A HWT was loaded with good gusy.

looking closer Gary was only one wrestler in all divisions to pin out.....pretty impressive. Looking forward to seeing him vs. Mota or Palmer at North / South...Should be a good one!

Leitten looked like a destroyer of worlds at state. I would have ranked him higher but I defaulted to those who had more than one title.

Also thought the top three in 4A 120 could have been state champions in other weights.

1. Cervenka - knew what he had to do to win, and has all year. Watched him in Charleston stay calm knowing he had bottom in UTB. Kid knows what he needs to do to win
2. Leitten - Once he adds a little more muscle to his arsenal will be a force to stay away from. Smart, knows every position and hates to lose
3. Alford - yes he's never won a State title in SC. But he is a Fargo All American. Take away the results and terrible outcomes of matches he should have won, because p4p aren't based on results but on overall skill, and he easily is sitting at the 3 if not the 2 spot
4. Clary- yes he lost to Knipper, but before that was undefeated. He improves his scramble game no one will touch him next year. Props though for taking that loss on the chin, shaking hands, and walking away.
5. Dylan Gary - in my opinion is the meanest kid on the mat no matter who he is against. Plays a huge part in his wins and losses. Nothing like Metcalf or Schopp, but was the closest to those two that this state had this year (aside from Logan Sexton)
6. Matt Rudy - last years Rudy trying to win a state title beats this years Rudy trying to keep his title hands down. Is massive and a terror on the mat, but on his feet is not really offensive. Scored a takedown in the finals off of his opponent being excited and rushing in. Regardless though, his size and athleticism place him just outside top 5 in the 6 spot.

Rudy would have won at 220, and probably could win Heavyweight. He did beat Conrad last season. Regularly wrestles up and hasn't lost to an instate wrestler since his sophomore season.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT