James Island
Stratford
Wando

Ashley Ridge
Colleton County
Fort Dorchester
Summerville
West Ashley

Hmmm, so we have 48 teams in class 5A. Exactly how many we had in the old class 4A. Next item on the agenda: splitting 5A into divisions for football. We are going to be right back where we were in 2015 with two "big school" champions for football.

Moving to five classes had just one effect (which I'll argue was the real reason all along): Preventing private schools from winning football state championships.

Region 2 looks like it could end up being one of the toughest in the state, but I don't think Hillcrest and Byrnes are going to live up to JB's rankings.

Yep, Region 2 is going to be a bear. Hard to figure, when they had to assign the Greenville County schools, how Mauldin and Hillcrest got Region 2 and WH and Mann got Region 1. I guess Mann and Mauldin is about even, but as the crow flies WH is closer to Region 2 than any of them. Tough break for those two. You could have a real good football team in that region and have little to show for it.

Yep, Region 2 is going to be a bear. Hard to figure, when they had to assign the Greenville County schools, how Mauldin and Hillcrest got Region 2 and WH and Mann got Region 1. I guess Mann and Mauldin is about even, but as the crow flies WH is closer to Region 2 than any of them. Tough break for those two. You could have a real good football team in that region and have little to show for it.

I agree! Certainly a tough break for Hillcrest and Mauldin. They could be tops in Greenville county, and still get beat up by the Spartanburg teams. It's really not a level playing field for any Greenville county team. Greenville county coaches are full time teachers, they don't have the money for all the extras like live HUDL video on the sideline, and they don't have the pool of players because of the number of schools.

That's a tough draw for Chapin.
Depends on the sport. For basketball it will be better. They may be in the toughest basketball region in the state. While the new 5A region has good teams the other 4 teams in the 4A region are traditional basketball powers. The move up for the rest of the sports will be tougher. While Flora has several good athletic programs, most teams at Chapin did not have much competition from the other schools in the region. The days of winning 7 to 8 region championships may become more rare.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT