ADVERTISEMENT

Rumor: thoughts?

JB_a_Rivals

Varsity All American
May 7, 2003
Ok, got a call from the beach today from someone at North-South with this:

"Heard that a big name high school coach from South Carolina is going to Florida to take over a big program down there."

No idea who it is, no names were mentioned. I'm going to beach tomorrow and will see what I can find out. But who has thoughts on this.

My first guess is TK from Dutch Fork. That name WAS NOT mentioned; that's just my guess.

You could list the usual suspects. Could also see someone that was close to retirement.

Tommy Knots was the name I actually DID hear. No idea if it is true. Can't confirm anything. I'm wondering if they pay more than $107K in Florida?

Can say Dutch Fork is graduating a lot of starters. Don't know if that would affect his decision one way or the other. Seems like ever few months I hear a stroy of how he doesn't get along with so-and-so or he's arguing with the principal again, etc.

That article in The State paper Saturday was a very interesting read. Seems he KNOWS he rubs people wrong, and quite frankly, doesn't care. While that may be good for motivating some players and winning some football games, the fact of the reality is that school is eat up with politics nowadays. That type of attitude will not bode well when dealing with admins, district folks, or even boosters. It is understood that the "My Way or the Highway" attitude cost him his position at Independence (among other offenses).

Of course, last year Scott Earley went down there for 36 hours before he returned to SC, so...who knows? We shall see.

eek.r191677.gif

Is Knotts' mother still in North Carolina. I thought he took the DF job over Valdosta, GA because of proximity back to her in NC.

Jim Baxter, thought I'd heard previously that Florida schools do NOT pay as well as some states? What is your understanding?

Come on guys...this is easy.... Early's been in one spot for a year... he is gettin' itchy to move again...easy pick

Seminole Florida coach just retired. Is that it? I also saw where Miami Northwestern was looking a while back, because they had another coach fired or suspended or something.

If it is a Former Coach, how bout Bentley? Although I have heard Knotts linked to a Florida job as well.

It's not Early. Saw him yestereday and he asked me if I had heard the rumor and did I know who it was.

He's happy at Westside, contrary to some of the scarastic, petty remarks on this board.

This post was edited on 12/11 10:53 AM by Dilligas

This post was edited on 12/11 10:54 AM by Dilligas

He would be crazy right now to leave Westside. Lot's of money being spent and he has hiring and firing rights!

I heard this from my cousin, who works at the Walmart downtown. He said a friend from his old church called him up and told him that HIS cousin from Columbia told him that he heard from a lady at the Food Lion, who works there as a bagger on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturdays, saw Coach Knotts, Coach Early AND Coach Kennedy all together buying beer and chips for a road trip down to some city in Florida. Just saying...

Originally posted by BallCoach17:
Is Knotts' mother still in North Carolina. I thought he took the DF job over Valdosta, GA because of proximity back to her in NC.
His mother passed away in the last two years. He had brought her to Columbia.

He removed his name from the Valdosta job last time mainly due to location near Charlotte and concentrated on SC jobs.

Originally posted by dacoach:
Tommy Knots was the name I actually DID hear. No idea if it is true. Can't confirm anything. I'm wondering if they pay more than $107K in Florida?

Can say Dutch Fork is graduating a lot of starters. Don't know if that would affect his decision one way or the other. Seems like ever few months I hear a stroy of how he doesn't get along with so-and-so or he's arguing with the principal again, etc.

That article in The State paper Saturday was a very interesting read. Seems he KNOWS he rubs people wrong, and quite frankly, doesn't care. While that may be good for motivating some players and winning some football games, the fact of the reality is that school is eat up with politics nowadays. That type of attitude will not bode well when dealing with admins, district folks, or even boosters. It is understood that the "My Way or the Highway" attitude cost him his position at Independence (among other offenses).
eek.r191677.gif
When Knotts returned to Indy in 2005 it was expected he would probably leave after the 2009-2010 school year. That was always expected. NC does not allow a person to draw retirement and continue to remain in their teaching/coaching position and be paid. He made $70k but could not get the retirement of $40k. By taking Dutch Fork job he increased his pay (at the time) from $70k to $145k. By having a child money became a bigger part of the equation.

I do not think any job in Florida pays $107k a year.

"haters gonna hate" ....dude please...he took the worst Big 16 team in the state (consecutive 2-9 seasons) and went 10-3 his first season...has never won less than 10 games in a season (10-3, 10-3, 11-4, 12-3, 12-3), and has three straight trips to the title game and one state title already, in the toughest classification. He's earned every penny.

This post was edited on 12/29 12:36 AM by dfoldman

He runs a football team. Does he make more than the principal who runs an entire school? It's my tax money, too.

He may.... I am sure he makes more than several principals around the state, but we are talking apples and oranges.... he is AD and FBHC....let's face it, in HS sports, football is the only money maker of any significance. Baseball, volleyball, basketball, etc....not so much. As far as I am concerned, that is my tax dollars well spent. We should pay all our educators according to their output. TK's output is ahead of expectations.

If I am correct NOBODY can make more than the principal at a school, I am not 100% sure on this and from what I understood this a SC regulation

Someone correct me if I am wrong

He didnt say he was higher paid than his school principal just that he makes more than many if not most principals around this the state.

... That's right JHawk..... Rich/Lex 5 compensates their administrators and head football coaches very fairly in my mind. Until Hanna's retirement at Irmo, I believe Knotts and Hanna were the two highest compensated HCs in SC. Not sure now, but I imagine Knotts would still be the highest paid or close to it. Like I mentioned earlier- he has earned it in my mind.

I do know one of the ABOVE mentioned coaches turned down a FLA job opportunity this year! He is looking forward to building a program.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT