ADVERTISEMENT

SC Baseball Coaches Association poll released...

Chris Clark

All-State Pick
Jan 3, 2005
The SCBCA released its annual preseason poll...

1A
1) Lewisville
2) Lake View
3) McBee
4) Lamar
5) Green Sea-Floyds
6) Dixie
7) East Clarendon
8) Ridge Spring-Monetta
9) Branchville
10) Whitmire

2A
1) Chesnee
2) Fox Creek
3) Latta
4) Abbeville
5) Landrum
6) St. Josephs
7) Cheraw
8) Saluda
9) Ninety Six
10) Indian Land/Academic Magnet

3A
1) Bishop England
2) Seneca
3) Waccamaw
4) Gilbert
5) Chapman
6) Woodruff
7) Strom Thurmond
8) Mid-Carolina
9) Powdersville
10) Swansea/Aynor

4A
1) AC Flora
2) North Augusta
3) Eastside
4) Chapin
5) Hartsville
6) Lugoff-Elgin
7) St. James
8) Airport
9) South Pointe
10) Wren/North Myrtle Beach

5A
1) Northwestern
2) TL Hanna
3) River Bluff
4) Lexington
5) Summerville
6) Dutch Fork
7) Dorman
8) Boiling Springs
9) Blythewood
10) Riverside/Wando

Proof once again that coaches in one part of the state often know very little about teams in other parts of the state. Boiling Springs in the top 10 for 5A is a clear example of a team getting votes based on reputation. Boiling Springs has some very good players, but they lost a TON to graduation. Don't get me wrong, Lipscomb and staff will coach em up. But, ranking them that high at this point is absurd. On the other hand, Spartanburg should have its best team in years. With a strong pitching staff (USC commit, Duke commit and Flo Dar commit) and sold defense, Spartanburg should make a strong run.

Cohaze if Spartanburg can get some of the college kid's back and get all the college commits to play their legion team could be the best in the state!

Interesting to see these results and then comparing to the end of the year results.

TL Hanna has been a very good team for years. They get almost all of the talent in the Anderson area.

Cohaze if Spartanburg can get some of the college kid's back and get all the college commits to play their legion team could be the best in the state!

They certainly could. But, odds are it won't happen. The higher level players from Dorman and Spartanburg rarely play Legion. And when they do, they're usually not terribly committed to it.

I just looked ton's of their seniors are to old to come back! First kid I would go to is Tanner Mcallister to get him to play and every other senior should follow!

I just looked ton's of their seniors are to old to come back! First kid I would go to is Tanner Mcallister to get him to play and every other senior should follow!

My guess is McCallister probably will come back. But, there are two better pitching prospects at Spartan High, Cash and Dantin, who are very unlikely to play Legion. The No. 3 pitcher at Spartan High, Fowler, is a senior headed to Flo Dar. He might play Legion. I think the Spartan High shortstop, Stevens, is also a senior. He might as well play Legion, but I don't know if he will. Some of the other Dorman seniors may well come out, but none of them are game changers. I doubt that their top level younger prospects, like Renwick and Rogers will ever play Legion.

Cohoze why not play after your senior year? My philosophy is your just going to get rusty getting into the Spring! You have played the past how many summers playing travel!

Cohoze why not play after your senior year? My philosophy is your just going to get rusty getting into the Spring! You have played the past how many summers playing travel!

I agree, especialy IF you're going to play in college. Dorman probably has 6 seniors, all of whom are pretty decent players. But, I don't think but two of them are headed to college teams. Those 2, McCallister and the 3B whose name escapes me, probably will play Legion. Some of the other seniors may also play, but some may call it a career.

The Stevens kid at SHS is getting college interest, but nothing official yet. If he commits somewhere, he'll probably play somewhere this summer, either Legion or travel. But, if he doesn't he may also call it a career.

Guys that have been playing Legion all along are more likely to play after their senior years than those who have been playing travel ball all along.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT