4. Lewisville

5. Lake View

6. Dixie

7. Southside Christian

8. East Clarendon

9. Johnsonville

T10. McBee

T10. Lamar

I wouldn't argue against most of these picks. I put in my commentary in The State this morning that I almost put Sumter ahead of Lexington and feel they are probably going to start off better but I think Lexington will be there in the end.

I think Conway should at least get a sniff of the Top Ten. They're going to win a game a week when Holmes is on the hill, so if they can put together production for the other days, they could be a competitive team.

I like the 3A Poll; it s little different than ours but I agree that Berkeley and James Island deserve looks at the top ten; I'm surprised that there are two teams tied for ten and neither is Marlboro County or Hartsville. I think both of those teams will be strong in the lower state.

I also think that while Gilbert may take some bumps early, they are a team that will be in the mix in the end and I think they could actually win the Region V over Airport.

2A, I think Mid-Carolina is better than 4 but not far off from the NO. 2 spot in the SCV polls.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Not sure i understand Liberty being at #3 in the 2A Polls. I know they return alot of players but to go from unranked last year to #3 is a jump. A perfect example in the same list is Blue Ridge who has talented players returning but were an unranked team last year. Do like BR and start them near the bottom and let them prove themselves.

Yeh; I did put Liberty in ours, too, but they are at No. 6. I probably have Waccamaw a little high but with a plus pitcher in 2A you can do a lot of damage.

Whats going to be interesting in Region 1-AA this year is the Region Schedule structure. Instead of spreading everyone out, they are playing each other back to back every week. There are a couple of exceptions but for instance when Landrum plays lets say Chesnee, they will play @Landrum on Thursday and the next night play them @Chesnee. Very strange but thats they way the Region coaches voted on it.

I guess that will keep you from pitching your Ace at your opponent each outing. If you have someone on the hill that can mow them down, this new format could be a big impact on region play.

Region 6 AAAA went to a 3 games series last year and will do it again this year. Games are Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. A team will be at home on Monday and Friday and then be on the road the following year. Main reason was there are only 5 teams in the region, so instead of only playing 8 games that decide your playoff fate, you know play 12. The best team with the most depth should also win the series. If you have more the 5 teams in a region then playing each region opponent twice in the same week is the next best idea, that way nobody's ace can pitch against the same team twice.

Originally posted by cubones:
Region 6 AAAA went to a 3 games series last year and will do it again this year. Games are Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. A team will be at home on Monday and Friday and then be on the road the following year. Main reason was there are only 5 teams in the region, so instead of only playing 8 games that decide your playoff fate, you know play 12. The best team with the most depth should also win the series. If you have more the 5 teams in a region then playing each region opponent twice in the same week is the next best idea, that way nobody's ace can pitch against the same team twice.
Sumter is obviously the team to beat in that region; who do you see as the challenger? I know Conway should win at least one game a week when Holmes is on the hill but what else do they have? What about West and L-E?

Was just commenting on what Middle 30 said about thier region format. Think that is also a good idea playing back to back days.

Originally posted by cubones:
Was just commenting on what Middle 30 said about thier region format. Think that is also a good idea playing back to back days.
Just out of curiosity, why do you like the idea of playing back to back days?

Teams are forced to use #1 and #2 pitchers. Better scenario might be a day or two off inbetween games in case bullpens guys are needed.

Good point. A few years ago we saw the same Gaffney pitcher every game for 2-3 years.

Originally posted by JB@Rivals:
I guess that will keep you from pitching your Ace at your opponent each outing. If you have someone on the hill that can mow them down, this new format could be a big impact on region play.

I'll take two or three good high school guys who can command their pitches over one plus arm any day of the week.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT