ADVERTISEMENT

SC High School League To Be Abolished?

Wouldn't it make more sense to keep an organization that is already in place and just figure out how to bring it under the umbrella of the Dept. of Education? I'm not a fan of the SCHSL, but this seems like a very drastic measure that appears to be fixable in other ways.

If its being done right, it is not going to be done by a government agency. The SCHSL, needs a complete overhaul but putting it directly under the DOE and doing what this legislator is wanting to do will create more problems than it will solve. Please someone get a collection of rational minds together and fix things, do not let the government screw things up more, in the name of the children.

I agree with the point of not wanting anything else under government control, but it would at least give the parties that feel they have been wronged a platform for a real appeal. Far too many things seem to be who you know at the SCHSL, rather than what is right for the student athletes. The biggest issue is getting things fixed and personally, I really don't care how they do it.

"If its being done right, it is not going to be done by a government agency."

It's called jobs creation.

Originally posted by Dogvendor:

"If its being done right, it is not going to be done by a government agency."

It's called jobs creation.
No its called Goose Creek AD didnt take the time to wait on an official transcript and got disqualified for playing an ineligible player and now all the politicians from that area are acting like they really care about the situation so when they do run for reelection the people will vote them in again!

Job Creation

You mean not being able to do your job properly or just getting a job that is not really needed because it is a job to have a job? How many "necessary" jobs are redundant that are nothing more than political payback or wasting money to look and sound important?

If the SCHSL would be put under the direct supervision of the State Dept of Education, that might work if there was a review of the SCHSL and see who is vital to making sure that the organization is being run properly and meets the purposes that are stated for its existence. If not, clean those out that are not needed and re-structure as necessary.

For those would lose their jobs, polish up the resume and go beat feet on the pavement to find another job. It's called life and it happens. Go find a way to be productive not a drain on the busiess or organization that you work for.

There are very few state sports governing bodies that are well-liked, many have people that are technocrats, people that understand the rules but not how the rules and the sports and lives that are impacted by the rules actually have practical effect. Makes them good at reading, but not much on actually thinking.

Zais is a complete idiot. He wouldn't know a football from a sand wedge. He can kiss my ass. The only clown in favor of this is the Goose Creek legislator who wrote the bill. As a politician, he'll clearly comfortable with cheating.

Follow an know the rules already in place and there will be no problems. Stop believing that you or your school is bigger than the real mission in high school sports and there will be no problems. I agree, getting the government envolved will only make matters much worse.

One of the biggest issues that the high school league faces is not much different than the same problem with the NCAA. They have zero control over coaches or athletes. If they could punish coaches or athletes instead of schools, then the problems could be easier to fix. For example, a coach at a school decides to run the risk of playing someone that is not eligible. He is gambling that no one will catch it or that no one will turn them in. When someone does turn them in, it causes punishment for the school, which hurts every player on the team and the student body of the school and community. If the league could punish the coach and the athlete, then there MIGHT be a reason for the coach or athlete to be a little more cautious with the rules. Instead of having an entire community hurt, the guilty parties would be the one suffering the consequences.

Of course the issue with the NCAA is that they don't find out about anything until years later and the athletes and coaches are already gone from the school with the infraction. At least the high school league is a little more up to date!

until they hit the schools and coaches where it hurts, in the pocketbook nothing will change. And if some AD's would focus on doing their job instead of pawning it off on a secretary then we wouldnt be in the mess. But Reedy screwed up and oh my lord heaven forbid the mighty male warrior admit he screwed up! nope not his fault, its woodmonts fault, its Berkley's fault, its his secretary's fault! Here is a novel idea follow the rules in place, dont take short cuts then Goose Creek wouldnt have been ineligible and we wouldnt have this mess!

This post was edited on 3/20 11:47 AM by Jhawk4

Something needs to change but I know for sure getting politicians involved would only complicate things more. If you think the good ole boy system is in place now, just imagine what kind of favors would be exchanged when politicians are running things. The SCHSL was made aware of ineligible players in 3A Greenville County but was not interested in doing anything about it. I'm not a parent, just someone who follows High School sports. So I don't have a dime in it other than I think cheating has no place in scholastic sports. It starts at the High School level and then onto the NCAA.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT