ADVERTISEMENT

St James

Price is 100% Wing T. At his previous school they won big and always had a lot of speed. Very athletic especially for 1A. Does St James have that same type of kids? If so he should do well.

horry county once again snubbing their nose at the talented coaches of South Carolina, I believe only 3 head football coaches in that county have actually been in SC their entire careers....

Price is 100% Wing T. At his previous school they won big and always had a lot of speed. Very athletic especially for 1A. Does St James have that same type of kids? If so he should do well.

St. James does not have a lot of speed or athleticism

Just out of curiosity, what is more important for the programs of South Carolina? Is it to get the best coach available or to hire a SC coach?

Last time I looked Nick Saban is not from Alabama, Dabo Swinney is not from SC, Mike Houston (JMU) is not from Virginia, Fedora is not from NC, Jimbo Fischer is not from Florida, Bob Stoops is not from Oklahoma and I could go on and on.

I know the next statement will be "that's college". My response is "so what". Hire the best coach.

I am sure these administrations are vetting everyone who applies. Why would they cut their own throats by not hiring the best possible fit for their program regardless of where they are from?

You make some good points, Coach's Son. As an SC coach looking for an opportunity, I disagree, but I can't really argue against your points. Were I a school administrator and not a coach, I would probably be with you on that.

That said, can the Wing-T be consistently successful outside of 1A, maybe 2A? St. James might be too big to compete with other schools running high-scoring spread offenses with a traditional Wing-T. Don't get me wrong: I respect the offense when it is run correctly. But can a traditional, somewhat "gimmicky" (God, forgive me) clock-control and misdirection offense be consistently successful on the bigger stages?

I know nothing about St. James or the available talent. I will say that the Wing T will go as the Running backs go. If they have superior backs, then even a smaller but decently quick OL will suffice.

If they do not have a t least 2 good backs and preferably 3, then it will be difficult. Even a die hard Wing T coach will tell you the same thing if they are honest.

Just out of curiosity, what is more important for the programs of South Carolina? Is it to get the best coach available or to hire a SC coach?

Last time I looked Nick Saban is not from Alabama, Dabo Swinney is not from SC, Mike Houston (JMU) is not from Virginia, Fedora is not from NC, Jimbo Fischer is not from Florida, Bob Stoops is not from Oklahoma and I could go on and on.

I know the next statement will be "that's college". My response is "so what". Hire the best coach.

I am sure these administrations are vetting everyone who applies. Why would they cut their own throats by not hiring the best possible fit for their program regardless of where they are from?

Um.... are you from South Carolina? Since the dawn of our state we have made it a habit of looking out for South Carolinians - or, at least, those who are in power, that we like, or owe something to...

:D

That's sarcasm, if you can't tell from my typing.

;)

Ultimately, it IS a pride thing. There are dozens of guys that bust their butts as assistants in South Carolina and deserve an opportunity to show they can be a great head coach in our state without letting guys from NC and GA take these positions. Unfortunately, folks don't like to hire a head coach who doesn't have head coaching experience. Kinda hard to be a head coach with head coaching experience when the prerequisite is to have said experience.

(sarcasm, again - sorry - bad habit of mineo_O)

But, honestly, some assistants don't always interview well. I've gone through several and they are all a little different. Each school has their own agenda and what they are seeking. If they truly feel the best candidate to lead their school is an Inuit from Canada, then that's who they will hire. Ain't nothing Jerome or grumpy folks on a message board can do about it...

That ain't sarcasm....

... that's just the truth.

:rolleyes:

Reactions: Coach's Son
Too many good coordinators & assistants get passed by for these out-of-staters. Shouldn't happen.

Couldn't agree more. I'm with Dacoach, as well, in that it is a PRIDE thing. NC pays like garbage, and GA has its own struggles. Though you want the best guys for your position regardless of state, there are some dang good assistant coaches who would make for dang good lead guys. You just need the right program to be willing to take a chance.

When is the official announcement coming on Price for SJ? Did Waccamaw make a hire yet? Are they both waiting on BOE approval?

On this similar subject is NMB going to be as good without Hardin? Did his dad leave with him to River Bluff? I think he was the DC.

St. Jim's- where NC coaches go to die!
Has there been a NC coach at St. James before? I will agree though from what some of you have posted about lack of athletic, speedy RB's the Wing T may be a challenge. Then again Price is a good coach and maybe he will be flexible. I do not know him personally but I know he has won at 2 schools with Wing T. But again that was with the athletes to do it.

You guys fail to mention the possibility that HE developed his athletes. Joey will win. That is all he has ever done. He took over a solid program and took it to the finals four straight years...but, he also won at South Columbus.

There is no doubt that Coach Price is a very good coach. I also have no doubt that he will win wherever he goes. I will say that the athletes at Wallace Rose Hill were pretty dang good under Jack and Battle Holley too before he got there. WRH has always had athletes and so has S. Columbus even back in the Tabor City days. I am just basing off of what the posters are saying about few athletes that the Wing T could be a challenge. Then again maybe not. You still have to be a good coach to win even if you do have good athletes, so it is not a knock on his ability. Although I am not a coach, I grew up in a household with a 22 year head hs football coach, so a little rubbed off. By the way, he ran Wing T for most of his career and I played in it.

Reactions: Sleehrat84
I have no doubt he is good- but he BETTER be able to walk on the waterway in order to fix St. Jimmy's.

Not saying they will be playing for the state champion ship first season there .. just saying he's a great coach that can turn a program around and get the most out of kids not only that's is a great Christian man as well if you have ever talked to him

Not saying they will be playing for the state champion ship first season there .. just saying he's a great coach that can turn a program around and get the most out of kids not only that's is a great Christian man as well if you have ever talked to him

giggle.gif

Obviously you don't know much about coach price or football .... Seems your a little bitter towards the ok ball coach
State Champion coach from VA was supposed to do the same thing a few years ago....he better have the golden touch because there are coaches just as good if not better at those schools at the beach

I saw where the WRH head coach is the new coach at St. James in SC. The report I watched said that he went to high school at North Myrtle Beach. Did he play football there? I have a friend who went to school there and played football around that same time. Good luck to the new coach and to St. James.

I don't think he played football at NMB .. Could be wrong though hope he can bring something to st James no one has before Good Luck coach we're pulling for you

Ya'll are some arrogant "gentlemen".... Just saying... How else should a coach approach a job? You say he thinks highly of himself ...and that he needs to be able to walk on water? I guess if this losing program had hired a young coach from SC who walked into the interview with "man, we can't win...but I am young and deserve a chance"....that would have made things right in your world. No.

Coach Price doesn't need me to defend him. He has won over 85% of his games, 5 state titles, and he works the boys he coaches hard to get better physically, (I'll add spiritually), and high expectations are a part of the world he lives in.

Okay...I have had my rant. Good luck to all the young coaches in SC that wanted this job. I'll add this one tidbit...he beat out some great coaches.

Last edited:
Reactions: ShivaBlast
I wouldn't say he Speaks highly of his self ... I would say he is very confident in what he does guess time will tell ... He's already made a name for his self time to help another community and school. And try to build a program but it will take time he will get it though just wait

I saw where the WRH head coach is the new coach at St. James in SC. The report I watched said that he went to high school at North Myrtle Beach. Did he play football there? I have a friend who went to school there and played football around that same time. Good luck to the new coach and to St. James.
He did not play football because he transferred there after the season. He did however play baseball.

Oh ok, my buddy said he did not know him. Where did he play his HS football? Did he just go to NMB for his last semester of HS? My friend graduated in 1977.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT