ADVERTISEMENT

State playoff brackets out

Have any upstate teams ever been included in the Palmetto Inv or NC/SC challenge? I don't remember an upstate team in the past several years in either event. Why is that?

Rock hill was in the NC SC Challenge this year. I know Rock Hill and Lancaster have participated in the Palmetto in the past 3-4 years.

Dawgpoundit....6 different upper state teams have represented SC in the NC/SC Challenge (compared to just 5 lower state teams). Most all of these have been in the past 6 years.

Rock Hill 2x
Chapin/Newberry 3x
Greenwood 2x
Lancaster
Gaffney
Clover

Palmetto tournament is open to all teams wanting to play, open invitation each year. Only the following upper state teams have ever shown interest and participated....

Greenwood
Chapin/Newberry
Greenville
Lancaster

[
There used to be a pre-season tournament in Easley every year. Spartanburg played in it a couple of years. But, that was back in the days when Tim Wallace coached the team. Tim understood the value of getting in as many games as possible. Unfortunately, subsequent coaches were not not committed to doing it, and I think the AD lost interest. The big problem up here now is the lack of commitment by players and parents.

One of the problems with playing in the Florence tournaments is the distance and cost. It's not exactly a day trip for upstate teams. And most teams around here operate on a shoestring budget. Still, there's no reason they couldn't have a local tournament, other than lack of commitment.

I am surprised more teams don't put on tourney's Be cool to do a battle of the border with the north Carolina teams!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT