ADVERTISEMENT

Support for your idea, JYMF

darth vomitus

All-State Pick
Jul 9, 2005
Not my support, mind you, but I believe in credit-where-credit-is-due. Ran into one of the "legendary" SC coaches referenced in our original discussion yesterday. Instead of saying "hi," I just spat out the question, "What do you think of fight shorts for middle schoolers?" To my surprise he liked the idea. Said anything to get more kids out was great.

I countered with not wanting to wear singlets an excuse for not being tough enough. Coach said that was always going to be the case, but if fight shorts got him one tough kid then it was worth it. He went on to say that the mindset of kids today is much different, and just like the changes made to save Olympic wrestling, changes probably need to be made to folkstyle (he also believes there should be a pushout rule).

Now I agree that there is a different mindset and attitude today as opposed to 20, 30 or more years ago - kids just aren't as tough or motivated - but I think the changes recently made in the Olympic styles were due more to the rules being awful, and they changed them back to closely resemble the rules 20 years ago.

I brought up the point that hands and fingers could get injured if caught in loose fitting clothing. His response was how often did I see that happen, and they get tangled in singlets as well.

I have always respected this particular coach's accomplishments in the sport and his opinions - I can only think of one other topic where I have strongly disagreed with him - but I still can't agree with fight shorts. Leave them to MMA. Call me a purist, but I'm sticking with singlets; although, I could stomach compression shorts and tight tees.

Thanks for the nod, Darth. Differences in opinuion, certainly do keep things interesting.
In this months issue of Win Magazine, which is an outstanding publication covering all aspects of wrestling, a former college coach of mine and executive director of the National Wrestling Coaches Assoc. writes about issues that our sport faces concerning growth and popularity. He makes some very valid points and speaks in detail about the positive benefits of wrestling outside of the room and mat...character, grit, determination, etc.. All of these things are true, however; I still contend that the decline of the sport is not due to a lack of interest, but in the way that it presents itself both on a national level, and abroad.
I plan to email or call Mike, to express my concerns and am interested to know his thoughts. I don't have enough time to discuss this on a message board, but I did find interesting that in the same issue of Win , the articles related to Flo Wrestling's Who's Number 1 event, held recently at Lehigh University. Instead of singlets, the athletes wore fight shorts and compression shirts. Seemed to add to the event. Did not effect performance, no one broke a finger, and no question about the "entertainment factor". Obviously we can't do this for all of our events, but really impressive. Link is here, if it works. Valencia vs. Hall.
http://www.mtcstorm.com/news/mark-hall-dominated-feature-match-in-flowrestlings-whos-no-1

The Coach I also talked to mentioned the Who's #1 matches. Didn't get to watch them myself, but he said there was a match with a 20 minute ot!

Some of the matches were crazy! The boxing/mma format really seemed to add to the atmosphere. Imagine penn st vs iowa at penn st. Only adding a ring announcer to the format.

Interesting. I definately like the idea of the compression or fight shorts, however; I think the fight shorts would be more attractive to potential wrestlers, as this is what they see the majority of MMA fighters wearing. Would have to say no on the shirtless issue. Primarily because it would not be somethng that a 250 pound high school freshman would want to do (unless he looked like Shelton Benjamin), and also because of the of the lack of control/grip that you would have. It's why they have the FS/GR guys wipe down. Additonally, have to always be concerned about the skin infection problems. A compression type shirt would be the way to go, and would actually have a chance of acceptance through the NFHS and NCAA.

Regardless, I do believe these are positive considerations and would definately add to the entertainment factor.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT