ADVERTISEMENT

Team Rankings

HS softball rankings is touch and go every year. Usually someone is required to carry the torch for this to happen. I know several who did this special service in the recent past. But unsure if it will start up.

Sure hope it does. It is a coaches thing and sometimes not the easiest to pull off.

Not sure how legit it is but HSSR supposedly polled all SC coaches and Fort Mill ranked #1 by HSSR according to FMHS principal newsletter today (but not on HSSR anywhere)

Fort Mill is 7-2. 4-0 in region, out scoring region 35-3.

I've seen Grey Academy play twice now and they are best hitting team in state.

Last edited:
http://www.hssr.com/uploads/Publications/February 29 Edition.pdf

start at page 4- this shows the rankings for 4A and then each page after that shows the other classes - page 7 has the 1A rankings. I don't know how they came up with these rankings. I don't really agree with all of them... but it is what it is
The best thing to do on HSSR is read the articles. Rankings are useless and are not from polling all of or even majority of coaches. The real coaches poll disappeared several years ago when Bucky Ware left Blythewood. I don't know how many people realized how much work the guy was doing to promote instate softball. He did poll the actual coaches and even created a website where all schools could list there schedule and update it with scores. Coaches then could at least compare scores etc and have a decent opinion on who the best teams are.

If everyone would report scores to Maxpreps it would help and be central. Then, their computer program sees who beat who like a basketball rpi. But too many coaches want to "hide" their results to have some sort of advantage. Softball is only sport that operates like that. Baseball, football, basketball, soccer scores no problem to find. I think the HS assoc should mandate everyone use Gamechanger also, it syncs to Maxpreps

The best thing to do on HSSR is read the articles. Rankings are useless and are not from polling all of or even majority of coaches. The real coaches poll disappeared several years ago when Bucky Ware left Blythewood. I don't know how many people realized how much work the guy was doing to promote instate softball. He did poll the actual coaches and even created a website where all schools could list there schedule and update it with scores. Coaches then could at least compare scores etc and have a decent opinion on who the best teams are.

Last edited:
Reactions: NA_JACKET
If everyone would report scores to Maxpreps it would help and be central. Then, their computer program sees who beat who like a basketball rpi. But too many coaches want to "hide" their results to have some sort of advantage. Softball is only sport that operates like that. Baseball, football, basketball, soccer scores no problem to find. I think the HS assoc should mandate everyone use Gamechanger also, it syncs to Maxpreps
I agree but there will always be a few holdouts even with a good systems. The lack of softball info instate the last few years has been terrible. Its not just polls either.

Stats are only as good as the person keeping the books. Far too often books are manipulated to make players look far better than they really are....and sadly in some cases the same can be said for negatively manipulating the books. I have little faith in stats coming from a HS dugout........just because a girl ends up on base does not mean it's a "base hit".... JMHO

100% agree
scores reported is what needs to be uniform better.

I agree but there will always be a few holdouts even with a good systems. The lack of softball info instate the last few years has been terrible. Its not just polls either.
Sadly it's adults
Stats are only as good as the person keeping the books. Far too often books are manipulated to make players look far better than they really are....and sadly in some cases the same can be said for negatively manipulating the books. I have little faith in stats coming from a HS dugout........just because a girl ends up on base does not mean it's a "base hit".... JMHO

I don't like Gamechanger - and would be upset if someone mandated that I use it -- I like iScore better. :)

THE HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS REPORT March 31, 2016

HSSR AAAA Softball Polls

1. Fort Mill
2. Byrnes
3. North Augusta
4. Lugoff-Elgin
5. Ashley Ridge
6. Summerville
7. South Florence
8. Boiling Springs
9. Clover
10. White Knoll

HSSR AAA Softball Polls
1. Union County
2. Hartsville
3. Hanahan
4. Wren
5. Midland Valley
6. Daniel
7. Blue Ridge
8. Lancaster
9. Chapin
10. Berkeley

HSSR AA Softball Polls
1. Aynor
2. Mid-Carolina
3. Johnsonville
4. Crescent
5. Dillon
6. Landrum
7. Barnwell
8. Buford
9. Battery Creek
10. Andrew Jackson

HSSR A Softball Polls
1. East Clarendon
2. Dixie
3. Latta
4. McBee
5. Lewisville
6. Wagener-Salley
7. Hannah-Pamplico
8. St. Joseph’s
9. Branchville
10. Green Sea-Floyds

Reactions: tcollie
Glad you posted as such. The HSSR group is doing their best. The upstate SC does not participate as much. Welcome to the media. It is pandering, and quite frankly, how the adult world works.

Having said that, it is why the HS Playoffs is most watched. Because it matters to the hard core.

Personally, I am glad the lower state is leading the charge with the media. It makes a big difference in how the SC State gets viewed nationally. Being said, the upstate can be jaded. Who knows the answer. You either like media, and nothing is free, or you try to figure it out to work your way. Congrats to the lower state for the effort. It benefits all.

Still love HSSR.

Last edited:
HSSR is not free. Schools must pay to be covered in their publications. They also send documents to schools with little to no turnaround. The State newspaper is doing a good job this spring of covering ALL spring sports. Every Thursday rankings come out with players ranked in major offensive and pitching catagories. Many Midlands schools are participating.

You are making the case, by your words, why the upstate SC may not be represented in the lead.

Quite frankly, the upstate SC stands on its own. The have not, will not pay for this service. Thus get a short stick.

Not a knock on the service by any meanS. For any means to promote the SC game is very much appreciated.

Did I mention anything to do with upstate softball not being able to "stand on its own"? I stated facts about the HSSR. If you read any of their publications, the main schools are private schools and smaller schools. Greenville News and Spartanburg Herald do a decent job covering softball in those two counties.

Local news does good throughout the Upstate too, but there are many hitters, players and pitchers with banner seasons killing the stats in tough conferences that are never mentioned or in any of the HSSR lists in these publications. These lists could be very long with some standout teams and players that aren't acknowledged at all now. That's my point. The HSSR is incomplete and the rankings do not reflect reality as a result. How can you publish a state ranking for each division without knowing who is leading each region and also looking at non-region match-ups, etc? How do you call it state poll rankings when a good chunk of the state is not represented? Just who is polled? I would think a poll would include representation of each region voting to be accurate. Looking at the list of players to watch, there are many college commits at many levels including D1 that aren't even mentioned. I just find it surprising. I don't know how they get the info or are supposed to get the info, but I find that it is very mid and low state centric.

Local news does good throughout the Upstate too, but there are many hitters, players and pitchers with banner seasons killing the stats in tough conferences that are never mentioned or in any of the HSSR lists in these publications. These lists could be very long with some standout teams and players that aren't acknowledged at all now. That's my point. The HSSR is incomplete and the rankings do not reflect reality as a result. How can you publish a state ranking for each division without knowing who is leading each region and also looking at non-region match-ups, etc? How do you call it state poll rankings when a good chunk of the state is not represented? Just who is polled? I would think a poll would include representation of each region voting to be accurate. Looking at the list of players to watch, there are many college commits at many levels including D1 that aren't even mentioned. I just find it surprising. I don't know how they get the info or are supposed to get the info, but I find that it is very mid and low state centric.
We have a poll from baseball coaches http://www.scbca.net/aaaa-rankings.html. Maybe if enough pressure was put on high school softball coaches someone would lead the way and get this done. If it can be done for baseball there is no reason a truer poll can't be done for softball. Most of the time the HSSR poll is off but I appreciate they take whatever time needed to put something out for us.

Reactions: tcollie
I can tell you this. HSSR had 3 people at the Summerville tournament, walking around interviewing players and coaches. They stayed until last out. That's more effort than any publication I know of. I tip my hat to them trying. I know our Fort Mill coach was slow to do Gamechanger or Maxpreps because he wanted to be stealth and not give info out. We changed his mind. It's 2016, everyone needs to publish their results in a central place, or it disservices the GIRLS. But props to HSSR showing up. I tip my cap. The blame is on the SCHSL not requiring these records be electronic and posted like every sport.

There ya go. Good find. I doubt a SC softball coach assoc exists.

We have a poll from baseball coaches http://www.scbca.net/aaaa-rankings.html. Maybe if enough pressure was put on high school softball coaches someone would lead the way and get this done. If it can be done for baseball there is no reason a truer poll can't be done for softball. Most of the time the HSSR poll is off but I appreciate they take whatever time needed to put something out for us.

I can tell you this. HSSR had 3 people at the Summerville tournament, walking around interviewing players and coaches. They stayed until last out. That's more effort than any publication I know of. I tip my hat to them trying. I know our Fort Mill coach was slow to do Gamechanger or Maxpreps because he wanted to be stealth and not give info out. We changed his mind. It's 2016, everyone needs to publish their results in a central place, or it disservices the GIRLS. But props to HSSR showing up. I tip my cap. The blame is on the SCHSL not requiring these records be electronic and posted like every sport.
I hope I am not coming off as to critical of HSSR. I have talked to Billy Baker many times and I can assure you he is a supporter of softball and does what he can to promote it. Its hard to rank teams and players with just a small bit of info. If you know a team or player that deserves to be looked at call the guy. Quick story Abbey Cheek (Chapman) wasn't in his rankings last year. I called him before his final rankings came out and he corrected it. He did his homework after we talked. Abbey is a FR starter at Kentucky now and in my opinion was the states best player and in the top two hitters I have ever seen pre college. Other is Geri Ann Glasco currently at Oregon.

I hope I am not coming off as to critical of HSSR. I have talked to Billy Baker many times and I can assure you he is a supporter of softball and does what he can to promote it. Its hard to rank teams and players with just a small bit of info. If you know a team or player that deserves to be looked at call the guy. Quick story Abbey Cheek (Chapman) wasn't in his rankings last year. I called him before his final rankings came out and he corrected it. He did his homework after we talked. Abbey is a FR starter at Kentucky now and in my opinion was the states best player and in the top two hitters I have ever seen pre college. Other is Geri Ann Glasco currently at Oregon.

Abbey is great. Glasco got drafted last night! I didn't take you as critical in this thread. :)
I hope I don't come off as Hssr homer. Its flawed. I personally don't think we/FMHS are #1. I have players at Lugoff, Byrnes, BS and Hartsville and those teams are so good. I think Hssr at least put the 4A teams in a bucket of who will win states. And the 3A I wager. The person fussing about Daniel HS above, I wonder how much preseason info the coach returned to Hssr?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT