ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on School Ball?

Apr 29, 2014
With a new season a month away, do any experts out there have some opinions or thoughts to share with the board on programs and athletes to watch for this year?

High School Softball is the most wonderful sport. The SCHSL does a terrific job. It is because of the participants, and the nature of a stick and ball sport.

The performance of the young lady teenage combatants becomes a mental game of sorts. The difference of a player batting 100 point above or below her career average rests in the mind. A combination of travel players, and sandlot players, all teaming together to try to win a championship.

Much becomes about the program. the travel teams who support a given high school. The individual names, with whom the travel orgs know ver well hold merit. But it is the supporting players who hold the key ... And how each get along with one another. So we will talk about the programs. the individual names will become apparent in May.

In the 4A level. It must be broken down into regions. the lower state near Charlsetown has presented themselves quite proudly of late with Bluffton and Summervile. it may be a battle amongst them as Summerville has youth, and Bluffton is returning. Both super programs. The Columbia region is lead by Blythewood and Clover. Both have terrific players, and returning veterans. Blythewood has some terrific travel players. Other teams of note are Lexington and White Knoll, because of a few of their travel players.

The rubber meets the road in the UpState. Byrnes, the defending champion, is building something special. What they lost last year, is replaced by reloading. They have to be favored until someone plays against them different. Boiling Springs sits back with an upperclass team, and must bond. Gaffney is coming on strong, and Dorman has good coaching. Maudlin and Hillcrestt battle the Greenville area. Hillcrestt came on strong late last year, and always have a legitimate shot.

3A gets out of my league, of sorts. Union County is the defending champions, with about everyone back. Can they find the magic again? who knows, because Hartsvillle has pitching, and wisdom. Chapman has a few great travel players and are due for another run. At 2A, Landrum may have some for the ages this year, and Crescent is always lurking.

This post was edited on 1/22 4:44 PM by BS100

North Augusta finally has good participation in travel ball programs that should start helping the school team. The pitcher/catcher combos will be really good.

The Lady Lions softball team should be good this year with the junior Ashton Martin in the circle for the lions along with her strong bat at the plate. Helping her Maddie Rizk (senior), Jessica Carnes (senior), and Anna Lightsey (senior). They also have a lot of young talented individuals joining the mix.

Always enjoy your comments BS and if Jacket says NA is on their way back, then let it be done. As noted above, until proven otherwise, whichever upper state team shows up for the championship will take home the trophy. Will only speak of the teams that I think I know something about. IMO here is the early look for low country 4A
Ashley Ridge - 3rd head coach in as many yrs and this one brought back some former ass't coaches. Probably get as much talent as any of the other schools so it will be interesting to see if they can stop the revolving door of coaches and solidify the program as a legitimate deep threat in the playoffs. Talent, facilities and support are all in place.
Bluffton - Pitcher and big bats have graduated. Will be interesting to see who is in the circle for them as I have not seen anyone else pitch for them at the varsity level in the last few yrs. Quality pitching equals success.
Colleton County - Each of the last few yrs, they have had quality wins. Excellent pitcher who can get them some wins if teams sleep on them.
Fort D - Extremely young last yr and will be so again. May still be a few yrs away before full potential is known.
Stratford - Not as talented as 6-10 yrs ago, but they always put a quality product on the field. Solid D and good bats are the trademark.
Summerville - 4 snrs who were all either 3 or 4 yr starters graduated and will be missed. However, this team may be better than last yrs team. They will be lead by a Furman, 2 Coll of Char and a Coker commit. Must fill 3rd and CF; girls waiting in the wings are probably ready. 1st base could be a wild card as when the 3 yr starter was injured part of last yr, this was a point of issue. Got to fill the #2 pitcher roll. JV has been a little down and although they have a good number of young pitchers, none have seemingly separated themselves and shown that they are ready to provide quality innings at the varsity level. Key to success; stay healthy (limped into playoffs last yr), QAB's from the 3 new starters and establishing solid number 2 pitcher.
Wando - Biggest school in the state with a full roster of talented kids. Can they get the monkey/Summerville off of their back? They had Summerville beaten in the playoffs last yr until a fluke play ended it for them. Summerville has had their number for a long time, but this could be the yr it changes.
Although I do not have any info on them, Carolina Forest and Dutch Fork always seem to be in the mix.
Schedules are set this yr to play each region opponent 2 times in a row as opposed to playing all and then repeating. If a team stumbles early in region play, they may not recover.
Prediction; Summerville takes lower state and brings state championship trophy to lower state.

Thank you GS 194 for the wonderful report. The lower state needs a voice and the information provided, using positive words, is much appreciated.

South Carolina is a stick and ball state. Hundreds, more like thousands, of hard working folks commit a bunch of time coaching, umpiring, and adminisitering the framework needed to let High School ladies compete. They do the work.

But they do like to read stories about the ladies. The story tellers do very little compared to the ones who truly serve. But is a simple service to give back to the fine folks who have helped, many times unnoticed.

So keep up the good work. It is very much appreciated. speak from the heart. As we all know, High School softball is one of the purest sports in the world, made possible by the most graceful, most beautiful, and with the most fight and work ethic from the best young ladies in the world.

Thank you. Do report.

This post was edited on 1/23 10:37 PM by BS100

Dutch Fork has to replace their # 1 pitcher and one of its top hitters.

After years of building Mid Carolina has finally got a team that is loaded with talent. Still young but experienced in both high school and travel ball this team should start to show a few things this year. Their new region will not give them much competition which will hurt some come playoff time but it will also give them time to develop their pitching. This team will surprise people in 2015 and should be a legit contender to compete for a state championship in 2016. It will be fun to see what they can do if they stay focused all season!
Posted from Rivals Mobile

3A will go to the wire again this year. My opinion Wren favorite ,2'returning pitchers , and lots of
Hitting . Seneca will be good but lost 2 studs to Erskine , and another player
To Salem C . Have a good young travel ball pitcher , but no backup .do have 3 verbal /commits , and may bat 8'travel ball players . BHP returns all conference pitcher , but loses several seniors . Daniel returns both pitchers , some bats , but they aren't deep and need some youngsters to step up . Same for West Oak , need girls to step up and help USC Aiken commit pitcher . Walhalla has a new coach , both pitchers from last year , and may have 7-8 returning starters , losing 1 senior . Palmetto lost a lot , but has a good
Senior pitcher their SWU commit will have to step up as well as some youngsters . Pickens doesn't have a lot
I think Wren , then Seneca and BHP , then Daniel /west oak / Walhalla for final playoff spot, with palmetto battling . If Seneca or BHP falter , a team from the third group could jump up. Bats and defense will decide who goes to playoffs .

I think Seneca lost a big part of there talent to be laying in the second slot . Wren is going to be the one on top no doubt when season starts off . With Daniel / BHP / West Oak fighting over second , then Seneca ,Walhalla , Pickens .

Beg to differ. Seneca has 3 college commits , Winthrop, erskine, and USC Beufort, 3 other players that play for 16/18 u Crush/Elite/S. Angels.( that could commit / verbal soon as well ), that's 6 potential college players , . And they may bat 8 travel ball players . Few other 3A that I know bat that deep. Only issue is young but very talented pitcher , and lack of P depth . Wouldn't sell Seneca short .its all on their P. Daniel has few travel players that I know of, and really only the talented 11 th grade pitcher/hitter will scare anyone, not a lot of depth in my opinion . West Oak lost corner infielders ,along with total perhaps 4 senior starters , and their JV was not very good last yr. and only 1-3 travel ball players , no big bats , only their senior commit pitcher should scare anyone , they are scrappy though . . Don't sell Walhalla short, they lost 1,starter , have 2 travel ball pitchers ,were very young last yr. return a lot , and their JV was like 35-5 last 2 yrs . If new coach does a good job , they could contend , ( I believe the Wren coach would agree) .

Funny the one team that hasn't been mentioned....... Union is defending 3-A state champs and only lost (1) senior if I remember correctly.

More like that's what this forum is for , us old timers , giving our uninformed opinion and getting excited for the upcoming season .

Upper state wise, how can Union not be the favorite. Union is the defending state champ with almost everybody back. Western 3A will be a struggle for whoever wins it - there is no easy game that I see on anyone's schedule. I'd have to give the nod to Wren or Seneca to be the favorite. Wren probably has a deeper pitching staff, but, Seneca has a strong lineup of hitters and one very solid pitcher. BHP, West Oak, and Daniel are all good teams and could end up at or near the top as well. Walhalla is improving and could make the playoffs and I think Palmetto is better than some of you may think. I know nothing about Pickens so I can't say anything good or bad about them. If there's a better 3A region in the state, I'm not aware of it.

Yeah, Palmetto will contend too. Pitcher is committed and has lots of experience. Couple very talented sisters playing elite level TB, one committed, the other will. Several other strong position players to watch for. Did lose a great catcher though. This team is always scrappy.

Union is current champ and could be again. Lots of hot bats and strong D. Great pitching. Chapman will be high in that playoff mix. Look for AC Flora and Chapin too. Maybe TR? Who will go deep and give Union a run for their money?

How about AA? Anybody have any thoughts? I hear Pendleton should be good and Crescent is always good. Crescent has a lot back and has moved regions for the first time in a long time. I'm guessing AJ is strong as well.

No love at all for easley or that 8th grade stud pitcher they have...who won a lot of games as a 7th grader for them last year.

Easley has always presented themselves quite proudly in High School Softball. Some of the facilities they have, though probably old school in this modern day, is something the town should be extremely proud of to represent this wonderful state.

They may be old school to some. But are Uptown to me. Been to about every ball field in the whole state in my softball and baseball travels.

As for the player noted. Shame on you as I am sure this player is working harder than about all around. Unless you want to correct as I do not know the circumstance. ; ) ..

This post was edited on 2/5 8:11 PM by BS100

I meant that noone was talking about them oor that player...if you ever get to see that kid pitch its something else.

Thank you as I probably jumped too soon. Great to hear about the youngsters, and hope to see this year.

No offense but almost every girl plays Travel Ball now so I don't see that as a big deal or huge advantage for anyone. I have Coached Travel Ball for over 20 years and I think almost all good HS squads have multiple players involved in Travel Ball. I think Daniel is definitely going to be a huge factor this year as they have as good a Pitching in this Region as any Team if not better.Also don't forget last year was Madison Rizk first year in the Region and she is going to be a much bigger factor this time around even though she batted right at .400 her first go round. Between Madison and Ashton I think Daniel has the Pitching and the pop to challenge Wren this year and worst case will be in the top 2 or 3.

This post was edited on 2/9 10:38 AM by roosterrizk1

With Pendleton losing Cady Cole I don't know if the horses will be their but they still have some talent. If Pendleton would have been able to kept their Team together from a couple of years back they would have been State contenders.

Rooster, I agree with your assesment. Here in the low country, most teams are filled with travel ball kids. A kid playing travel ball today does not mean what it use to, but that is a different topic. In the larger divisions, unless a school is fortunate enough to have a true stud pitcher, they will struggle to compete unless their roster is filled with travel ball players. Several larger schools in the area have virtually a 100% travel ball participation on the varsity roster. This is the same for Volleyball; I assure you a player will have little chance of getting on the Wando V-ball roster if she does not play "club"; not impossible, but highly unlikely.

Originally posted by roosterrizk1:
No offense but almost every girl plays Travel Ball now so I don't see that as a big deal or huge advantage for anyone.
This is not the case over the whole state. It is a disadvantage if you have a large number of players not playing summer ball.

Agree with NA jacket. The more Rec ball players you have the less chances you have to compete. I remember Daniel 2 years ago had like 15 total players , and 4-5 varsity had to dress for JV to field a team . They had a lot of Rec players at that time and even new to softball ,players . They had to cancel jv games when eligibility was used up , hopefully they get enough this year .

/

Midlands softball should be interesting this season especially with 4A Region 4. The number of girls trying out is dropping. Westwood will not have a JV, Ridge View was very close to canceling their JV, Blythewood and Spring Valley had low numbers as well. Lugoff should be the favorite in this region considering the players Blythewood is having the replace and losing their starting pitcher to injury.

Whoever has the most travel ball players wins....and wren,seneca,easley,woodmont,of course byrnes is loaded with travel girls.

The connection between travel softball players, and success on the high school softball circuit is well established. But I contend it is not as simple as the HS team with the most, and highly regarded travels players 'win', and the others do not.

Each year early predictions are made, usually from input by the travel community. Though all in all this input rings close, rarely is the ultimate winner determined by travel ball.

In my opinion, it is because the high school system does indeed have the players, and developes the players from the first of the year, until a champion is crowned in May. The adults are fully invested, try as hard as they can, to develope a true team and make a champion. High School softball is still the venue where most all the players are thrown in one structure and competition sorts out a winner.

The travel community is valued, and much appreciated. However to validate the travel groups as the sole determinant of HS success, in my opinion is inaccurate. First, because it rarely rings completely true in the end. And second, it marginalizes the extreme effort and valuable instruction, team building efforts, from the high school system, coaches, assistants, and administrators. In the end, it is a High School State Champion.

The accolades of such accomplishment is given in the media, and poster boards, to the High Schools and the individual young ladies as it should.

Agree with BS100. There are some high school programs that develop high school players in the off season in conjunction with travel ball. The teamwork aspect that is present in the high school season is a different dynamic than that of travel ball. As a high school season or even years progress, weaknesses can be exploited by high school coaches who are more familiar with opponents than a travel ball team in which you may only face an opponent one time in a summer or much less often. Our high school has played our biggest rival 11 times the past two years. Game strategy, placement of fielders, etc. sometimes can overcome differences in talent level.

This is will be a rebuilding year for Greenwood. But the thing they have going for them is a 7th grader that will be taking the mound or at least be really competing for the spot. Hearing from players and fans it looks like the 7th grader, a girl they call Boo, will get the nod. I have seen her pitch and she has wicked movement on the ball. She has great control and will give Greenwood some chances for upsetting good teams. The only issue is if the infield will be strong enough to help her out. She gives up a lot of slow rollers on the infield and the question will be the infield making the plays. If they come through Greenwood should finish in the middle of the region this year. The future is going to be very bright for these girls. Good luck to all the girls!

Originally posted by BS100:

Each year early predictions are made, usually from input by the travel community. Though all in all this input rings close, rarely is the ultimate winner determined by travel ball.
Are you really serious?? Guess travel ball is running the coaches poll? I have never had a coach ask for input filling out his ballot.
[/B]

The travel community is valued, and much appreciated. However to validate the travel groups as the sole determinant of HS success, in my opinion is inaccurate. First, because it rarely rings completely true in the end. And second, it marginalizes the extreme effort and valuable instruction, team building efforts, from the high school system, coaches, assistants, and administrators.
For starters I wouldn't marginalize what many of the high school coaches do. In my hometown here we have a coach that works his butt off and runs a program as good as anybody. He isn't a idiot and knows if he has a team full of girls that play during the summer vs a group of girls that don't his chances of winning increase greatly. In my own personal experience I have seen where my own daughter surpassed others by playing summer ball. It wasn't because she was a superior talent it was because she spent more time working on her game.

Wren should be in the mix for the Region 1 3A title this year. The Hurricanes have 3 seniors, 2 of which have signed. The Hurricanes also have a lot of talent in the 9th and 10th grades that have played for several years already. The defense and the offense should be solid. There are quite a few pitchers in the roster that CAN pitch, but the key is finding the one that will put in the extra work and wants to be in the circle whenever needed. If that happens then I believe the Wren girls will definitely have a shot at winning the Region.

Jacket, it is enjoyable to see you riled up. Your opinion matters and is always fun on a silly board.

So I like the high school softball soapbox. The newspapers will come out and report throughout the SC State. The parents will be talking, the umpires will be right in the middle of the fray. Coaches will be coaching their butts off. And best of all ... Terrific young ladies will be digging, running, catching, pitching, hitting, and fighting in a competitive manner.

The SCHSL should be proud of what they organize and offer.

High School softball is about to begin in South Carolina. Yeah !!!!

With that being said, one of the best early scrimmage will be Saturday, weather permitting, where Landrum, Union County, Blythewood and Byrnes will face off at Byrnes. Though I may not be able to make it, there is a good chance to show late and get an early look at the action.

This post was edited on 2/21 9:45 AM by BS100

Jacket, it is enjoyable to see you riled up.
For the record I would be fired up if someone if lessens the importance of school ball. Both are needed for player improvement. It does no player any good sitting around doing nothing for months.

This post was edited on 2/18 12:49 PM by NA_JACKET

Pretty good day of softball this Saturday when W Florence, S Florence, White Knoll, Hartsville and Wando all scrimmage together in Florence.

Ashley Ridge - Got an early season W over Stratford.
Bluffton - Seem to be dealing with early season injuries. Pitching situation seemed unsettled due to injuries when I saw them play. Still have some serious pop in line-up.
CC - As expected, pitcher can keep them close when she is on, but will need some help.
Fort D - Another one as expected. Too young to tell just yet.
Stratford - Made it to final 4 of pre season tournament.
Summerville - Made it to final 4 of pre season tournament.
Wando - Took L at hands of Summerville earlier in the week.
Hanahahn - Some quality W's for a young team. Won pre season tournament. Young lefty on the mound is having early season success.
Dutch Fork - Seem to be alittle down, but have respect for cochaes and how they do business. I think they will figure it out as the season progresses.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT