ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on the current playoff system

JB_a_Rivals

Varsity All American
May 7, 2003
Guys, with the 5-class system now in place, is keeping the current playoff system (allowing automatics to four teams in most regions) still viable or does it water down the system too much?

The problem has always been with the playoff system. When we had a 4-class system, we had a similar problem but not quite as wide spread. But now, with 5 classifications, we will have the most teams EVER with .500 or below records in the playoffs.

I still like the idea of going back to region winner and region runner-up only in the playoffs. I know that takes a home gate from someone but let the schools add a game or two to the schedule. I'd rather see a 12 game regular season and ONLY region winner and runner-up in the playoffs than to watch teams that are 3-7 playing in the first round.

Thoughts?

FIRST, THE STAGS HAD A 9-1 TEAM THAT DIDN'T MAKE THE PLAYOFFS DUE TO PLAYING ONE LOSING TEAM ON THE SCHEDULE, SO THAT SUCKED TOO, TO BE NO.2 ANDD NOT GOING, I BELIEVE ONE TEAM I THINK ENTERED IN THE PLAYOFFS WITH A LOSING RECORD AND WON THE STATE CHAMPIONSHIP, I THINK IT WAS NORTH AUGUSTA. SO EITHER WAY SOME ONE WILL LOSE. SO I SAY IT IS FINE THE WAY IT IS AND NEEDS TO BE LEFT ALONE.

Guys, with the 5-class system now in place, is keeping the current playoff system (allowing automatics to four teams in most regions) still viable or does it water down the system too much?

The problem has always been with the playoff system. When we had a 4-class system, we had a similar problem but not quite as wide spread. But now, with 5 classifications, we will have the most teams EVER with .500 or below records in the playoffs.

I still like the idea of going back to region winner and region runner-up only in the playoffs. I know that takes a home gate from someone but let the schools add a game or two to the schedule. I'd rather see a 12 game regular season and ONLY region winner and runner-up in the playoffs than to watch teams that are 3-7 playing in the first round.

Thoughts?

Agree with most everything you say, however, what we have now is better than the crap we've had the last few years. We've been crowning 7 freakin' state champions! Ridiculous.

I do like every single school having an 11-game schedule & only the top 2 in each region making the playoffs (pretty much how it was done in this state prior to the '92 season), but a good argument can be made against this by looking at Region III-AAA. More than 2 deserving playoff teams in that region, as I'm sure there are others. That would just popped up in my mind.

Thoughts?

I would agree with the concept of what you are saying. In the 5 team regions it becomes watered down. We got Woodmont at 3-7 (4th) going to playoffs. I do think you have to possibly take 4 teams with those regions that have 7 or even 8 teams.

Yeah top two then i dont know.realisticly a lot of years previously
We could put up a decent fight in the playoffs .every team besides fort in our region has to fear the other bottom dwellers from other regions.im not sure we deserve more than two teams quality wise.most of our region could have possibly went winless if in another region.some other regions bottom teams would be runner up in ours this year.5aaaa is fine id like to see cross bracketing .i know travel time cost ect.

The current system is terrible!

Non-region games mean nothing, more undeserving teams get in, the point system was a better way to determine seeding, and there needs to be cross-bracketing.

Get in with .500 record or better. Figure out bracket pretty much 2 weeks before the final game with how many teams get in.

I am from New Jersey and they did a tournament of champions. 4a winner vs 3a winner. 2a vs 1a winner then those winners would play to crown a overall state champion. Did they ever have that in SC?

I agree for the most part and I remember when top two from each region got in. I honestly have no problem with the top 3 teams from each region getting in and having 1 possible at large team that would give you 22 teams in the AAAAA system. That way you can make the non region games mean something again. I also like playing 11 games as well, Like Wave fan said region 7 has two two 3 win teams making the playoffs and two 5-5 teams, In my opinion with Summerville being 5-3 and beating West Ashley head to head they deserve the final spot which is 3rd, They could upset some teams or they could lose but that is why I have no problem top 3. But I also agree it is better then what we had

Reactions: amosmouzon
Since this is the first year of the 5A system... I'm not real sure how I feel about it, yet.

I'm not a major fan of 10 games. I'm ok with the top 4 teams from each Region making it. You never know who will get hot at the right time and take the ring.

High school football is a fickle sport. Anyone can get beat on any given night. Even the mighty can fall.

:cool:

Spot the ball.

Neither system is perfect. Teams with a losing region record probably shouldn't be in the play-offs. Also, it is a bad idea to add games whether regular season or playoffs. Injuries are piling up for some of these teams. Depth is one thing, bodies to fill a spot are another.

edit added record after region

Last edited:
Neither system is perfect. Teams with a losing region record probably shouldn't be in the play-offs. Also, it is a bad idea to add games whether regular season or playoffs. Injuries are piling up for some of these teams. Depth is one thing, bodies to fill a spot are another.

edit added record after region
I couldn't agree with you more. Prime example is AR, Right now they are putting bodies to fill spots. Friday night they played on the OL a Kid that had been on the B team, and two kids if I am not mistaken that played JV for the whole year. I think they had 2 freshman and 3 sophomores playing OL that normally only one would have been playing. Plus AR running back is out for rest of the season when he got hurt against James Island, The Sr QB was hurt again, plus two WR were hurt. Its like going to a gun fight with a baseball bat.

B-Team is 8-9th grade. A 9th grader could play on b-team, jv or varsity. An 8th grader cannot play up or practice up.

FYI

In the Midlands....
Junior Varsity = Mostly 10th Graders; few 9th Graders
B Team = 9th Graders
C Team = 8th Graders
D Team = 7th Graders

Way too many teams in the playoffs. It's really pretty much of a joke. Would almost like to see a ranking system that would seed playoff teams. Look at Region 3. Strongest region I know of. One has to stay home. But even with their oddly underwhelming performance, they are easily better than half the teams in the 5A playoffs. But the easiest way is to take the 1st and 2nd place teams in each region. But that will never happen. SCHSL wants as many playoff games as possible for the money, and in the PC world we live in, all but the absolute worst teams get to pat themselves on the back for being a playoff team.

Way too many teams in the playoffs. It's really pretty much of a joke. Would almost like to see a ranking system that would seed playoff teams. Look at Region 3. Strongest region I know of. One has to stay home. But even with their oddly underwhelming performance, they are easily better than half the teams in the 5A playoffs. But the easiest way is to take the 1st and 2nd place teams in each region. But that will never happen. SCHSL wants as many playoff games as possible for the money, and in the PC world we live in, all but the absolute worst teams get to pat themselves on the back for being a playoff team.

Interesting.... so if we only have 16 teams in the entire playoffs.... we have one champion. Correct?

If we have 32 teams in the playoffs.... does the number of Champions change? No? You mean there will still only be ONE Champion?

Amazing.

:D

Guess it doesn't really matter HOW many teams start, as long as only one finishes.

o_O

Agree with most everything you say, however, what we have now is better than the crap we've had the last few years. We've been crowning 7 freakin' state champions! Ridiculous.

I do like every single school having an 11-game schedule & only the top 2 in each region making the playoffs (pretty much how it was done in this state prior to the '92 season), but a good argument can be made against this by looking at Region III-AAA. More than 2 deserving playoff teams in that region, as I'm sure there are others. That would just popped up in my mind.
I agree with you on that Rod except most of us old guys' answer to that is, if you want in the playoffs, win your region or finish second.

SCHSL needs money....They get it from playoff games. You will never see less playoff games again.
Bingo!

There needs to be a way to eliminate sub .500 teams from the playoffs, especially teams that go 1-9, 2-8, 3-7 and win one region game and make the playoffs. There's not enough money being made in the first round games to justify the match ups that are being created in some of the 1v4 games.

Maybe it is the 5 class system or just the match ups, but in most areas there seems to be few people excited about football at present. Maybe some communities here and there are enthused, but overall, I don't see it.

Maybe it is the 5 class system or just the match ups, but in most areas there seems to be few people excited about football at present. Maybe some communities here and there are enthused, but overall, I don't see it.
I think it is the way the schools are run now. Football used to be king, pep rallies every week. That doesn't happen anymore and the approach all clubs, sports, etc are equal approach. Schools don't have the same type of school spirit as in the past.

I think it is the way the schools are run now. Football used to be king, pep rallies every week. That doesn't happen anymore and the approach all clubs, sports, etc are equal approach. Schools don't have the same type of school spirit as in the past.

Nailed it! 100% right. Massive amounts of bleeding heart liberals are in charge of schools & districts now.

I would not necessarily blame bleeding heart liberals. Poor leadership is probably a bigger culprit. Every coach is advocating for their kids or program. If they did not they wouldn't be a good coach. What is missing is a Principal or AD that is willing to do what they are paid to do, make hard decisions. Sometime they are gonna have to hurt feelings, not all are willing to do that.

How many principals in schools nowadays were football coaches in their previous life? It used to be that a whole lot of principals were former football coaches hired because of their discipline and no-non-sense ability to manage.

Now it seems like a large majority are former AP or IB kids with Academic Career backgrounds... always coming up with new ways to teach, educate and organize our schools.

We've gone from Tough Love to Tough Classes.

o_O

Reactions: badcats
ADVERTISEMENT