ADVERTISEMENT

Top team in SC

theruler02

Bench Warmer
May 19, 2003
Now that the state championships is done we can vote on the top team in South Carolina, reguardless of the Classification. Honestly i think irmo is at least 12 points better than Lake Marion and Hartsville, If irmo play Lake Marion it will be a high scoring game but i pick Irmo 76-63, Lake Marion Size and range and dept at the positions will make it interesting early , but they will get wore down and i think they'll beat Hartsville something like 67-52 in a defensive game, Shaw will be solid like always but Irmo is just to experience , to deep and there height will be a problem, It woulde been interesting to see Lake Marion play in 3a for just one more year cause i think they couldve gave Hartsville a real god game in Lower state but top 5 in my opinion is 1 irmo 2 hartsville 3 lake marion 4 Southpointe ( although they loss in the 3rd to Irmo they was the only team in the last 2 months to give them a good game) 5 Eastside

This post was edited on 3/5 5:46 AM by theruler02

This post was edited on 3/5 5:47 AM by theruler02

Very good analysis. Only thing i disagree with is that hillcrest has to be in that top 5. They struggled vs irmo but i think they would match up well vs those other teams in your top 5.

I agree with you on your top 5 teams but I would put Lake Marion at 2 and Hartsville at 3. I don't see Irmo beating Lake Marion or Hartsville by double digits and I think either one of those teams could beat Irmo. Although these are all good teams, basketball overall is not real strong in South Carolina this year. I know Irmo is undefeated and as I said in another post their schedule is stronger than Lake Marion's but overall they have really had a weak schedule. They didn't play one team out of state and they played a lot of bad 4a teams. DaCocks23 pointed out that Irmo is 17th in the country but that means absolutely nothing. I live in Charlotte NC and Olympic High School is ranked 125th in the country and I think they would beat Irmo on any given night. I think the difference for Irmo against Lake Marion in a very close game would be decision making and the coaching of Whipple. They definitely would not wear them down. Newberry tried to do that and it backfired on them. If Irmo played Hartsville I think they would get up on hartsville by handling the pressure and taking away Shaw, but if its close in the last min I like Hartsville because of Mr. clutch Jaylen Shaw(Frank Martin should be calling him). I think it's an interesting conversation but their is not much seperation between the top 3 teams.

Not sure what poll yall looking at but USA today Olympic is in top 25 as well...

My top 5 may sound crazy but just my thoughts; 1- South Pointe, 2- Irmo, 3- Lake Marion, 4- Hillcrest, 5- Hartsville. I know SP lost to Irmo but they can beat them in a best out of three or five series very underrated group.

KG, I was looking at the Maxpreps national rankings but you are right about the USA Today because they have Olympic 1 spot ahead of Irmo.

Hoopreality, youre right that does sound crazy. Irmo beat south pointe after playing a game the night before while sp had 4 days off. Princeg, maxpreps has olympic ranked 7 and irmo 17. Maybe youre looking at computer rankings.
http://www.maxpreps.com/m/article.aspx?articleid=2765064e-2e66-4930-8b5b-008a78d923e6

This post was edited on 3/5 2:38 PM by DaCocks23

Exactly, too much rest can throw off your rhythm. I would rather play back-back than having days off.(In High School)

You know i actually had Lake Marion 2 behind Irmo, but listening to a few buddies of mind i changed it. They said that Lake marion is good but they sch was pretty weak and much easier than Hartsville and plus the one common opponent they both had was Marion, Hartsville beat marion by 17 and 18 and Lake Marion only marion by 2 in the playoffs and they said that game couldve went either way, i know thats not saying alot but its something to think about, plus these guys know basketball and they do scouting for AAU teams. Hillcrest should go in the top 5 cause i just remembered they did beat eastside in the xmas tournament by 6, and as for Hartsville beating Irmo i dont think so, i got Hartsville # 2 in the state but they not close to Irmo; Irmo sch was alot tougher and they was undefeated give Hartsville Irmo sch and they will have 4 or 5 losses maybe more, hartsville have a great player in shaw and a good supporting cast but Irmo have a good overrall team way to many weapons if they play head to head it wont be close, Hartsville is shaw or bust and i dont see him hitting 30+ on Irmo he may hit about 20 and thats it, Irmo practically shut down Tre Smith from Hillcrest (4a Player of the year) in upperstate and him and Shaw are about the same kinda player, like i said irmo by at least 12

Hartsville beat Marion without McKelvey. He didn't come back until region. Playoff basketball is different.

Point Guard D.J Kelly didn't play either. Hartsville I think is still the better team. Marion did have two good players out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT