ADVERTISEMENT

TRIGGERED: If your team is looking for a new head coach, do you go young or go old?

ShivaBlast

Rookie
Nov 10, 2014
I was offered "TRIGGERED" as a potential thread title for whatever it is we're doing here, and I kind of like it. We're trying to reignite discussion on the forum, and what better way than to bring up topics that might anger a few people. Y'all think of something better, let me know, but I like it.

Thanks to Noles for this week's topic; I had a different one in mind, but I think mine can wait, because I want this blog/thread/whatever we call this to belong to everyone, so I like going with the suggested topic.

You've just lost your head coach and you're in the market for a new one. You have many considerations to make: what kind of man is he? What is his take on discipline? What kind of system does he work in? How well can he train other coaches to maximize his staff potential? But the most important question has to be this: what kind of experience does this new coach have? Must he have a proven record with a War and Peace-length resume? Do I go with a young coach, or do I go with the older, more experienced option?

Certainly, you cannot deny the appeal of the old guard. A man with a few gray hairs and a grizzled edge makes you feel safe as an administrator. You want someone who has been there before, someone with a "name." You want someone who has seen things, been places, has a few titles we can brag about. As an admin, you want to feel like you can trust a coach to the point where, when the proverbial waste hits the fan, that coach can look back on experience and know what the next move is. This is a school hedging its bets; yes, I know that this old man has probably seen his best years pass him by, but at least I have some visible evidence that he was at least successful ONCE, which is more than I can say about the wet-behind-the-ears newbie that just put his application in.

There are some potential pitfalls here, too. What if the old man is past his prime? What if he's stubborn, set in his ways, unable to adapt to ever-evolving strategies and design? What if he has already made a name for himself and has no desire to do the work necessary to get back to the top of the mountain? What if he wants to....*gasp*.... run the dreaded DOUBLE-WING!?!? If you think that hiring the same-old, same-old can't be a bad thing, ask Greenville-county schools. They have a distinct reputation for recycling blue-haired geriatrics who think "the spread" is something you put on toast.

Then there's the new guard, the young bucks. Admittedly, I'm a young(ish) coach with head-coaching aspirations, so I'm a little biased here. However, the only risk in hiring someone young is the possibility of getting conned by a silver tongue and inadvertently hiring one of those yokels in the stands who thinks they know everything. And granted, it is a risk. however, the reward can be greater as well: these coaches are young, enthusiastic, committed, and hard-working. They haven't made a name for themselves, and your school might be the place to make that name. Of course, you have the potential risk of job-hoppers, those young kids trying to hop from A to AA, them to AAA, and the like. That does, however, mean that they found success in those low ranks, too, so take that as you will.

So you're an admin and you have a role to fill: do you go young or do you go old? Thanks, Noles, for the suggestion.

You can't buy experience which is in my honest opinion more important that energy, hype and x's and o's.

I think it depends on the state of the program and the guy who was there before.....a high profile program that constantly has success...or a struggling program that hasn't smelled success in a few years....I think the high profile programs will always go after the proven, been there, done that guys...where as the struggling programs might simply need new life from an energy and excitement standpoint...maybe a struggling program that has had a few guys who won other places but couldn't do it there..maybe they go outside the box and go young and see what happens...

In reference to the job hopper scenario...i think a young guy almost has to be to move it...the overall opinion will be a proven winner...well, a young guy has to go wherever they will give him the opportunity which usually means A or AA, and then when a bigger job opens, he might not have a resume that they are looking for...I think the current re-use of head coaches forces more young guys to job hop to move up....just my two cents....good topic.

Reactions: 2000tiger
You're certainly right, and frankly, that's the main appeal of hiring an older coach. You want to know that the man you hired can handle the job he was hired for, and the only way you know this is through experience. But, then again, how does that young coach get the experience without a program will to take a chance on young passion?

I'm leaning more towards the younger guy. Really depends on your definition of young. The successful older coaches are a dime a dozen. If I were an AD I'd give a younger coach a chance and suggest that his staff be a little older and more experienced. That seems to be the trend these days. Ultimately, the coach has to be able to connect to the kids & sometimes really connect to their parents. This is a new age...instant gratification, unfortunately these kids today want it now and if you cant do it they pack up and go to another school. Oh, and the younger coaches like having 10-12 uniform combos...just a little satire for you.

God bless the program that can AFFORD 10-15 uniform combinations. I'm happy if my school can get white pants for away games. :(

I agree that the state of the program matter. If you hire the old veteran and he is set in his ways like mentioned the double wing, wishbone, etc. then what will happen to the program as far as interest, wins and losses. If everyone passes on the young guy then how is he ever supposed to get the experience? What if the young guy had to start his coaching career at a small school in order to get the teaching and coaching experience? The school may not be good. Is it his fault that they did not win? Then he now has on his resume a school that was not very good so it will make it even harder to get a job at a better school with winning traditions so this now puts him further back on ever getting a head job. He may have applied at the bigger school but with not enough experience they hire someone else like an old veteran because they felt safe with him and he's got a proven past? On the other hand if the young guy wanted the job then what some schools could do was hire the old guy on terms to work with the young guy and help him along the way like an apprentice type to eventually take over for the program if the wet-behind the ears if the problem you have with the young guy. Too many times they get pushed aside but could have been better for the program but you will never know because they didn't have enough experience to suit the administration. You need to get away from hiring a buddy and guys that can only give you a couple years. Invest in the young guy and allow him to hire who he needs and let him run the program the right way.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT