ADVERTISEMENT

Turner resigns from Seneca after 1 yr???

tprice

Three Star Prospect
Jul 18, 2003
Being reported that Seneca coach Brett Turner has resigned after only 1 year as HC

If this is true what is going on up there ?

First, his son graduated and is going to be playing college play next year. Second, like 18 starters are graduating from the starting 22 at Seneca. Third, coaching is not his primary job or calling in this life.

For some people, coaching is fun... not a live or die matter. Not saying this is Turner's situation, I just chuckle at parents or fans that look at every move at their school as a crisis or a "situation"...

Seneca will be just fine. Won't be as good next season as they were this one, but they got some good talent in that area.

Life goes on...

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Turner was a one year gig from the beginning. They just needed someone with some stability after the fiasco last spring. There's a big name interested

Reactions: BobcatVol
Lots & lots of coaching turnover there the last 10 years. Screams of administrative issues.

Im a Seneca alum and resident. I was told at the first game against Greenville that Turner was just a one year deal. After the Cathcart scandal, they didn't want to hire a new coach and go thru more turnover so late in the game. Turner was already on the staff so they gave it to him. I heard he was basically told "You have a loaded state contender team. You have the system Cathcart set up. Change as little as possible and let the kids do what they do." Plus his son was the returning starting qb and Im sure they didnt wanna risk Turner leaving for another job and taking his son with him. Also Turner is an associate pastor at a church here. He's a devout christian and he has said while he loves coaching. Ministering is more important to him and he wanted to focus on that. He also has a special needs daughter so he clearly has a more important issues to handle. I was also told that Seneca already had a big name successful coach from the midlands in mind as the next guy.

"You have a loaded state contender team. You have the system Cathcart set up. Change as little as possible and let the kids do what they do."
I just don't think most administrations say these kind of things. Have been on the hiring in on the process many times and have never felt admins work like this. Maybe I've just not been in a syatem that does so,

Thats how the person who told to me said it. And he's someone very close to the program. Im sure the powers that be didnt say it exactly like that.

The person that has the opportunity to come into the job better start asking a lot of questions before jumping feet first into this situation. The first question needs to be 4 coaches in four years; what could make me next? You have two state champion coaches that came in and went out for various reasons. You have a coach who was asked to step in only because of the controversy with Cathcart. Turner seems to be a great guy and was a smart move as the polar opposite of Cathcart. Now you have the next coach coming in. That person better make sure this is the right move and that where they are coming to is better than where there coming from.

The possibility is that Northwestern Coach Kyle Richardson may be coming to town. IF he does, he is leaving behind the best roster in the Class 5A to come to Seneca. I believe the plan is to combine AD/HC to throw more money to the new head coach prospect.

KG(Lan) to answer your question; Cathcart was not the role model needed to help lead young men in the right direction. When your sense of right/wrong interfere with the leadership role that you have been placed in, the only thing that can be done is to separate the leader from their role.

Reactions: BobcatVol
Was told that one of the interim ADs reached out to an old friend who is a head coach in the Lowcountry/Grandstrand area about the job. Don't believe the interest was reciprocated.

KG(Lan) to answer your question; Cathcart was not the role model needed to help lead young men in the right direction. When your sense of right/wrong interfere with the leadership role that you have been placed in, the only thing that can be done is to separate the leader from their role.

VERY WELL PUT

ADVERTISEMENT