ADVERTISEMENT

Upper / Lower Brackets

AAAA Upper at Eastside. Will release brackets on Track later tonight after the seeding meeting.

The coaches are the only ones who will have the brackets until the day of the event. The seeding meetings are going on throughout the week, on different days for each classification. Below are the schools and dates. SCHSL really blew some of the host schools. The Lower State being in Chapin is comical at best. Much like state duals, they should find schools centrally located to upper and lower state, and keep it there. i.e Sumter for 5A Lower, HIllcrest for 5A Upper. Just my opinion.

February 17-18 - 5A Upper State - at Laurens
February 17-18 - 5A Lower State - at River Bluff
February 17-18 - 4A Upper State - at Eastside
February 17-18 - 4A Lower State - at Chapin
February 17-18 - 3A Upper State - at Camden
February 17-18 - 3A Lower State - at Swansea
February 17-18 - 2A-1A Upper State - at Liberty
February 17-18 - 2A-1A Lower State - at Marion

For 4A, the host sites were selected based on proposals from schools. In Lower State, the only two schools to submit proposals were Chapin and Beaufort. Beaufort is tentatively scheduled to host 2018 4A Lower State.

Could be wrong, but I don't believe that SCHSL selects the host sites. Anyone else got a firm handle on that process?

Host schools toss their name in the hat and are selected based on who wants to host. Same goes for region tournaments.

Sites are determined by the schools that belong to that group of schools. Sometimes there is discussion about moving the host site to a different part of the state for geographic reasons. I.E. the 2016 Class 4A Upper State Finals were held at Rock Hill HS. They had previously been held at Laurens HS for a number of years prior. The thought being lets move the site around the upstate to appease all the upstate regions. After 2016 Rock Hill decided they didn't want it and Laurens promptly took it back.

I do think these types of events should be centrally located but again you can't force a school to host. And well in reality this year's Class 5A Upper State is hosted by Laurens but is being run by Hillcrest.

Outside of Laurens, I'd say Byrnes would be the best site for 5A Upper State. Right off 85 and pretty much halfway between Rock Hill and Anderson. Closest you're gonna get at least.

4A Lower will be posted on Flo Arena after seeding meeting tonight.

And in regards to Chapin hosting being comical...I guess it is as comical as St. James hosting the 3A lower the past 4 or 5 years...or prior to that Bluffton. I guess there is not a good central gym for this classification that wants to host it.

Ask your coach why your school isn't hosting if you don't like where it is. All they have to do is say "we want to host" and you will most likely get it. Especially if the other choice is so 'comical'.

The point is not for "my school to host" but for a central location for all schools in that area. Chapin is far from that when you look at the schools in 4A lower state. It is as poor of a choice geographically as Hilton Head would be. I realize that schools bid, and it's great to move it around. I just think that the fact that lover state is being held just an hour and change away from upper state is in fact, comical. It is not an attack on any schools ability to host. I just believe that it should be central to the area, to make ease of access similar to all schools and families. An opinion.

Just don't let Eastside host! Once they host, your good kids never leave!!!!

Lets get to the root of the problem..... B_A_S_K_E_T_B_A_L_L

Schools don't wanna host because if they get a home playoff game, they want to make that $, which is understandable. But, at what point (which in SC is never) do we make wrestling an equally important sport?
Moving the previously scheduled upper/lower state tournaments to another location in order to accommodate one BB game is an insult to the kids, parents, coaches, and programs who give so much.

There is no fair or sensible justification for placing one sport behind another due to a game that develops in a period of days. Or, because of the POSSIBILITY of hosting that game.

Lets get to the root of the problem..... B_A_S_K_E_T_B_A_L_L

Schools don't wanna host because if they get a home playoff game, they want to make that $, which is understandable. But, at what point (which in SC is never) do we make wrestling an equally important sport?
Moving the previously scheduled upper/lower state tournaments to another location in order to accommodate one BB game is an insult to the kids, parents, coaches, and programs who give so much.

There is no fair or sensible justification for placing one sport behind another due to a game that develops in a period of days. Or, because of the POSSIBILITY of hosting that game.

I believe you (and many others) already know the answer to this riddle.... It's the same as how any given HS convinces the Admin to make the world's oldest and greatest sport a priority. #1 start winning #2 get a wrestling advocate in Admin positions (athletic director, etc)

I believe you (and many others) already know the answer to this riddle.... It's the same as how any given HS convinces the Admin to make the world's oldest and greatest sport a priority. #1 start winning #2 get a wrestling advocate in Admin positions (athletic director, etc)

Winning doesn't matter. SOLID programs continue to move scheduled qualifying tournaments on the sheer possibility of hosting a BB game, as well as moving them at the blink of an eye when their BB team wins first round and they find themselves hosting a 2nd round game at home.
Until we approach our sport as a business where contracts mean something, we will continue to be shuffled around, wrestle our state tournament in a flea market facility, and have our programs practicing in hallways, cafeterias, and elementary school multi purpose rooms.

Think about it.... it clearly states in the SCHSL handbook, that contracts should be used when scheduling non-region events. Let's pretend that we actually do draft and sign these contracts that declare the hosts for the upper and lower state tournaments. Would they be honored? In the world I live in, yes.
My guess is that we will not make this move, because schools and SCHSL stand to lose $; and perhaps the greater "on the surface" issue is the teams wanting to play that game at home. Understandable, yes. Good for our sport, or SC athletics in general? No.

Reactions: jtb314
Watch Nick Harper win at heavy Weight if he wrestles to his ability. He got pinned by the Chapin kid at Coastal Clash. He just screwed up and got thrown straight to his back. He is capable.

Watch Nick Harper win at heavy Weight if he wrestles to his ability. He got pinned by the Chapin kid at Coastal Clash. He just screwed up and got thrown straight to his back. He is capable.
Don't count out Elvis Shannon from Berkeley. Short Barrel Chested Kid From Berkeley.

Reactions: Mettsm
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT