ADVERTISEMENT

Walhalla football coach

Nov 24, 2016
So much said about new coach at Walhalla. From this parents view and now experience with this "rec coach", he is what this team needed, a motivator. Unless you've lived through the previous coaching staff YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW MUCH THIS COACH HAS DONE FOR THESE YOUNG MEN. You may see a 4 game win season, but parents see and know more than you folks who know nothing about Walhalla. Thank you coach Johnson, from this parent who appreciates what you did for my son. I know I speak for many parents.

Congrats on a great season...... coach.

:D

Sorry, Rod D.... I probably jumped in with that one, before you could.

:);):p

giphy.gif

Bad thing is 2 of those wins were against west-oak. I've talked to some parents and all of them aren't happy with the production.

Aren't happy with production? Compared to what great success that has been had at Walhalla in recent years? He carries the tag of a "youth coach" that some seem to scoff at. But I have seen some youth coaches that would have been far better than some guys that seem to wander from job to job on the high school level because they know the right folks. Just as I have seen some excellent high school coaches that could do a better job than some guys with head jobs in college. Walhalla is a tough job. Just not a lot of talent up there. Don't know what expectations some of these parents have, but they are probably way over the top, as it is at every school as parents see time running out on their kids football careers. At a place like Walhalla, if the kids respect the coach, and play hard, that is probably enough.

I do know prior staff degraded instead of motivated. I do know you can't please everyone. Walhalla will always, regardless of coaches, be unable to compete with Seneca and Daniel. The coaches tried new things. ANYONE who saw previous coaching staff and what they did on the field, knows that "up the middle" wasn't productive.

Walhalla has learned , hire within, just don't win. Example now is their baseball program...3-12 last yr. With a coach who came from WestOak, he was a detriment to their program

Praying baseball will, both are " within" people. Head coach hand picked by Ed Taylor, the other left WestOak after causing havoc, neither one sets a good example to young men.

That's not a good situation for the kids to be in. Bad leadership equals bad results on the field.

I have GOOD information about the interviews and interviewees....some who applied not a good match for Walhalla.

He BOUGHT the job?! I see a man who has been blessed to be a successful business man giving back to a community. Yes, he bought the team new helmets, jerseys etc. But as you may or may not know school athletic budgets are always tight. I know he gave back some much needed pride in Walhalla....Believe, Achieve. You folks may or may not know know what Walhalla football has looked like in the past five years. If we had lost to West Oak I guess you folks would of crucified him! Walhalla hasn't seen a four game win season in MANY years. He may do worse next year, but gosh could you folks give him a chance.

Who cares what these guys think? I've watched Walhalla play Liberty the past few years and they look a good bit different now. I also noticed their rec teams are playing a different style as well. I'm not saying they're going to be world beaters but as an observer you can tell the coach is trying to change the culture up there. If he can instill in those kids that they can win and they are making positive contributions to the community more power to him. Good luck!

Reactions: Bkindnnice
Who cares what these guys think? I've watched Walhalla play Liberty the past few years and they look a good bit different now. I also noticed their rec teams are playing a different style as well. I'm not saying they're going to be world beaters but as an observer you can tell the coach is trying to change the culture up there. If he can instill in those kids that they can win and they are making positive contributions to the community more power to him. Good luck!

Thank you Bulldog Z91...you get it. This man is genuine. I am such a pessimistic person, but after listening to him at presrason, he wants to B a + influence to these boys and he has been. Winning is great, but let's face it...99% of all high school athletes will not play beyond high school. I care more about their safety and how they are being prepared for life. These coaches do too, they look beyond the score of a game, they know that coaching is an opportunity to develop young men.

NO You dont get it. Go to college- play- learn the game- work your way up from the bottom. EARN THE JOB! Him being "successful" will kill high school football. YES- HE BOUGHT THE JOB! What is that teaching the kids? Those with MONEY can and those without CAN'T!! Keep your LITTLE LEAGUE COACH!
Jealous- NO
Bitter- Could care less about Walhalla
Just love the PURITY of high school football and that is dying as well!

NO You dont get it. Go to college- play- learn the game- work your way up from the bottom. EARN THE JOB! Him being "successful" will kill high school football. YES- HE BOUGHT THE JOB! What is that teaching the kids? Those with MONEY can and those without CAN'T!! Keep your LITTLE LEAGUE COACH!
Jealous- NO
Bitter- Could care less about Walhalla
Just love the PURITY of high school football and that is dying as well!

This is basically hammer meets nail.

The OP doesn't seem to understand just how bad Walhalla's region was this year. The only team that made it out of the first round was Seneca and that was only because they got to play Berea. In the second round they were blown out.

Seneca, Crescent, and Pendleton were all down by their standards this year. Even so, Walhalla could not compete. West-Oak who is always terrible was even more terrible. This West Oak team might be the worst one in school history. Every Walhalla team and coach in the school's history would have beaten WO twice this year. (West Oak and Carolina Academy should have been allowed to play) The Razorbacks also beat a TR team that could not make the play offs in a 5 team region that included Blue Ridge who went 2-8.

In talking with several coaches that played/prepared for Walhalla this year, their schemes are as non complex as it comes. Walhalla actually had a couple of talented players that past Walhalla teams didn't have and amounted to basically zero turn around.

The OP is also forgetting that this is the first year of the new alignment which means the new coach didn't have to compete against the same teams as the last guy. With TS closing and many of their students heading to Walhalla, they new alignment will see the Hogs back with their old buddies like Daniel, BHP, Wren and teams like that starting after next year. My guess is Coach Money Bags will become frustrated and realize he needs to spend more time with his business and leave the program. However, he will probably let them keep all the stuff he purchased that other coaches that make public education money could never have hoped to afford.

Ever heard of a guy named Chad Morris? Pretty sure he never played football at Texas A&M. Graduated with a Math & Statistics degree. Coached HS basketball before becoming a successful football coach. I get where you're coming from Redand I agree to an extent but at the same time do you know the guy at Walhalla? What is his background, what all do you know about him? All I know of him is he used to coach some really good teams at Central Rec and he owns his own business. Does that mean he can't coach? I guess that remains to be seen. I personally know plenty of guys that would make great HS coaches that chose better paying jobs and starting families over college and working their way up. HS football will always be pure because of the kids more than the coaches IMHO. Do you know people that were turned down for that job? Like I said before, if he's teaching the kids the game and instilling in them a good work ethic and making them better men and contributors to the community and society as a whole well I'd say he's doing ok. That's just my opinion.

Actually know no one that would have wanted the job- so maybe Walhalla did all they could. But if an ADJUNCT COACH- WHO BOUGHT HIS JOB- is taking away a chance that a coach who paid his dues for then I have a MAJOR ISSUE. It would be like a money bags coming and running him out of business. He would not appreciate that.

We all had choices to make. If you want to coach- go to college and become a teacher and coach. Or head to college and coach. Or remain a little league coach and teach those young kids what it means to be a player.

Reactions: CantThrowIt
Your article proved Red Raider's point. Chad Morris started out as an assistant coach and math teacher and worked his way up by paying his dues; not by paying off the administration.

It doesn't matter who the coach is, or where he came from...bottom line is he wont win. Don't have the talent to compete with the other local schools. Been that way as far back as I can remember. What was the last winning season, 97 or so, back in the Rick Pate days. Walhalla has had some great coaches in other sports, coach Taylor was a great one in baseball, coach Thompson in girls basketball, but football just cant and wont compete. They haven't beaten Seneca since the late 70's.

Well, why don't we just put this thing to bed once and for all. It's kind of a dead horse the guy is the coach, plain and simple. We'll see how they do next year not that it'll matter. If you know he "bought the job" prove it, if it's speculation, so be it. Like my dad used to jokingly say "picture proof or it never happened!" LOL

isn't the Coastal Carolina guy kind of the same way....made his money somewhere else besides football??

He coached college and professional ball, perhaps in the early 80's. Stepped away from the game for years to start a business (TD Ameritrade?) and raise a family. Wanted back in the game somehow ended up at Coastal Carolina.

Moglia at CCU did coach years ago, then went to TD Ameritrade to make his wealth which supposedly is in the one billion range. He volunteered at Nebraska and I am sure used his money to finance the arena coaching stint. Done a decent job at CCU, but if anybody thinks he didn't buy the job they are fooling themselves. But it has worked out for Coastal. Football program is in good shape, and am sure that financial promises were made so he could fulfill his dreams.

Moglia at CCU did coach years ago, then went to TD Ameritrade to make his wealth which supposedly is in the one billion range. He volunteered at Nebraska and I am sure used his money to finance the arena coaching stint. Done a decent job at CCU, but if anybody thinks he didn't buy the job they are fooling themselves. But it has worked out for Coastal. Football program is in good shape, and am sure that financial promises were made so he could fulfill his dreams.

He runs CC like he ran Ameritrade: he macro-manages. There is no micro-managing going on. He makes sure the coordinators do their jobs, he lays out practice schedules and routines, he comes up with motivational events, themes and stories, he does travel routines, he works boosters(as much as he has to) and the university people, he works with the strength & conditioning coach on times, reps, machines, nutrition, etc then makes it all happen.

That new stadium upgrade and teal turf? I heard he chipped in an ENORMOUS amount of his OWN money to make all these upgrades and changes around campus. He has also taken a renewed interest in recruiting the great state of South Carolina.... something Bennett got away from that seemed to cost his success on the field and connections across the state.

Time will tell, folks. Time will tell...

:rolleyes:

ADVERTISEMENT