ADVERTISEMENT

Who wins individual states?

Jan 19, 2014
Where are the people with all the answers? Normally we have at least a few opinions.

Who wins? Who gets upset? No interest anymore?

Let's first get away from the "guarantees".... Aj leitten isn't losing, talon Seitz isn't losing.... Match of the tournament may be the 132 4a finals match between Byerly and Carrigan. Both 2x finalists, one time state champs. 145 4a seems to be wide open, and 152 you got to think Burris takes that.

Let's first get away from the "guarantees".... Aj leitten isn't losing, talon Seitz isn't losing.... Match of the tournament may be the 132 4a finals match between Byerly and Carrigan. Both 2x finalists, one time state champs. 145 4a seems to be wide open, and 152 you got to think Burris takes that.
You got to add Clary to the guarantee at 126 4a

160 4A is wide open. Debout is 2-0 against Florez, who is 2-0 against Rutherford, who is 2-0 against Debout... and Crowder is the returning champ I don't know about the guys from lower state at 160 but do know that the AR guy beat Rutherford at the dual state

Carrigan is the only Lowerstate 132 to get a first round win.

160 4A is wide open. Debout is 2-0 against Florez, who is 2-0 against Rutherford, who is 2-0 against Debout... and Crowder is the returning champ I don't know about the guys from lower state at 160 but do know that the AR guy beat Rutherford at the dual state
Rutherford also beat Crowder at upperstate.

4a
106..Lexington...with ease
113..Boiling Springs..iffy on this one
120..Colleton County ..in a tough one
126..Dorman..no real test
132..Westwood..better than most think
138..Ft Mill..will he give up any points?
145..Lugoff..can be beat
152..White Knoll..no real threat
160..Dorman..have a feeling
170..Ft D....will get it done this year.
182..Rock Hill..any doubts?
195..Lugoff..intimidation factor will not be there.
220..Goose Creek..on a mission
285..Rock Hill.....there will be upsets in this bracket...

3a
106..West Oak...just because
113..West Oak...just because
120..Eastside..the twins get shut out
126..Emerald..
132..Hartsville
138..Berea....with ease
145..St James
152..Beaufort...finally get one
160..Hilton Head..shutting out another set
170..Hilton Head...by a long shot
182..Hilton Head..
195..Berea..
220..Swansea..
285..St James

Last edited:
4a
106 Lexington
113 b springs/ft mill/byrnes
120 b springs
126 clary
132 evan c
138 aj
145 north
152 burris
160 Rutherford
170 aj / dorman
182 rock hill
195 ham ham ham
220 woodmont
heavy rockhill

3a...

106. Jordan White...nasty.
113. Jenkins gets another.
120. Mitchell, great final though.
126. Pirkle
132. Mansfield comes through.
138. Hall, all that summer work pays off.
145. Meywhorter, tough takedown guy.
152. Williams, I have only seen some guys.
160. Christie, hard to take down, and rides.
170. Seitz, a better class than you think.
182. Duane. Dominant last weekend.
195. Roberson, picking up #2.
220. Ray, big athlete
285. Foster, and even bigger athlete.

3a will be exciting!!!

Reactions: defensetrainer
2A
106 Killian (Chesnee) Upset.
113 Gillard with ease.
120 Haven (AJ) or Pardo (Chesnee) Last match Haven in OT.
126 Daniels (Battery Creek) no problem.
132 Frey (Liberty)
138 Chesnee..Walks through.
145 Murphy (Liberty) wins with no problem.... any other division and he is just a placer at best.
152 Mckinney (Powdersville) Upset...man on a mission.
160 Toss up....closer than last years finals. Possible North South match.
170 Taylor (Chesnee) Slips past Moser again.
182 Eugene (Whale Branch)
195 Kaminsky (Battery Creek)
220 Wadsworth (Newberry)
285 Brown (Columbia) gets past Liberty and gives Cheraw a loss in the finals.

4a
106..Lexington...with ease
113..Boiling Springs..iffy on this one
120..Colleton County ..in a tough one
126..Dorman..no real test
132..Westwood..better than most think
138..Ft Mill..will he give up any points?
145..Lugoff..can be beat
152..White Knoll..no real threat
160..Dorman..have a feeling
170..Ft D....will get it done this year.
182..Rock Hill..any doubts?
195..Lugoff..intimidation factor will not be there.
220..Goose Creek..on a mission
285..Rock Hill.....there will be upsets in this bracket...
Youre an idiot...

Well here goes:
AAAA-
106- LS rematch Corbett vs Brassuer, Brassuer takes it
113-Scott wins but great 1st rd vs Brotemarkel and then Hofer in Semis tough draw
120-should be good action in the semis, I think it's Upstate here w/ Grigorchuck getting the win over Anderson
126-Clary goes out on top, nobody gives him much trouble here, Cameron is tough but LS is missing their highest ranked eliminating Coastal Clash rematch. Great HS career for Clary
132-Coppola v Byerley in semis is good match w/ Byerley losing to Carrigan in finals but will be a tough battle
138-Caspio v Catoe might be best first round but no stopping Leitten as he beats Catoe for his second
145-North's to lose, don't know much about FM wrestler but Trephan is real good and push North in the final
152-Rematch of Painter v Parker is going to be a scrap and I know Parker is one of only a few to get after Burris, might have beat before but I think Burris pulls it out
160-not familiar w/ Rutherford or how he beat Crowder but I think this Parker from FD beats Crowder in finals
170-Simpson makes finals but no freaky losses this yr Alford won't be denied
182-Chesney will have two beasts to get by in Rubin and Montgomery but I think he beats the athletic kid from SV for the win
195-I'm intimidated by Ham from the stands he wins against Trephan(if healthy) or beats BS senior in final
220-Rubin gets by Goff in semis and the beats Degannes in finals
HWT-I think Salgado and Simpson meet in finals but the lack of mat time this year for Simpson catches up to him Salgado with lots of mat time avenges his loss from last year and wins it all.
With that said they are all great wrestlers and know they all deserve to be there and get their chance for a title. Good luck

Reactions: WandoWarrior
Not as familiar with AAA but here it is:
106- White but watch out in 1st rd Patterson is tough good rematch
113-Jenkins for his second
120-Mitchell but another good Patterson to get by
126-Seen Spann and Pirkle have trouble scoring but both find ways to win. I'll take Spann
132-Mansfield upset special
138-Hall caps off great season but don't underestimate Braden
145-Mewhorter
152-Gruel but watch out for Brezeale
160-Christie
170-Talon, great HS career and class act
182-Duane is the deal
195-Roberson
220-Ray
Hwt-James
Again all good wrestlers, congrats to them

Well here goes:
AAAA-
113-Scott wins but great 1st rd vs Brotemarkel and then Hofer in Semis tough draw
120-should be good action in the semis, I think it's Upstate here w/ Grigorchuck getting the win over Anderson
126-Clary goes out on top, nobody gives him much trouble here, Cameron is tough but LS is missing their highest ranked eliminating Coastal Clash rematch. Great HS career for Clary
132-Coppola v Byerley in semis is good match w/ Byerley losing to Carrigan in finals but will be a tough battle
138-Caspio v Catoe might be best first round but no stopping Leitten as he beats Catoe for his second
145-North's to lose, don't know much about FM wrestler but Trephan is real good and push North in the final
152-Rematch of Painter v Parker is going to be a scrap and I know Parker is one of only a few to get after Burris, might have beat before but I think Burris pulls it out
160-not familiar w/ Rutherford or how he beat Crowder but I think this Parker from FD beats Crowder in finals
182-Chesney will have two beasts to get by in Rubin and Montgomery but I think he beats the athletic kid from SV for the win
195-I'm intimidated by Ham from the stands he wins against Trephan(if healthy) or beats BS senior in final
HWT-I think Salgado and Simpson meet in finals but the lack of mat time this year for Simpson catches up to him Salgado with lots of mat time avenges his loss from last year and wins it all.
With that said they are all great wrestlers and know they all deserve to be there and get their chance for a title. Good luck

You've said some good things and said some really stupid things. Scott is the guy to beat at 113, but Hofer may well do it. Scott will struggle to get out from underneath. Clary only beat Chavis from BSHS 6-4 in the Upper State final. Not calling an upset, but you're giving a little too much credit. The 145 bracket is an indictment on the weight... Burris will destroy Parker. Parker might not get passed the Dorman 152 who is a consistent, well coached kid who never gets out of position. Crowder is awful and wont get out of the semis. He's strong as an ox, obviously, but has no clue how to wrestle in a tie or from underneath. That is anyone's bracket except Crowder's. Parker got 4th in his Lower state tournament; its foolish to assume he'll be in the finals as well. Neither of the kids you cited made it to the finals of their qualifying tournament. You've excluded the BSHS kid 182 who is as much in the mix as the other 3. Other than that, not a bad analysis. Its obvious you're a lower state, and thats fine! We should be biased for our guys. But. Its also obvious you dont pay that much attention.

Well here goes:
AAAA-

Maybe, except 132. You obviously didn't see what Carrigan did to Coppola in the Lowerstate finals. Coppola can't go six full minutes where he has to work and hasn't seen competition like upstate wrestlers.

don't know much about lower state, youll seem to think scott may beat hofer, but he didn't win lower state. How did that happen?

I think Hofer is wrestling exceptional right now, won upper state

Butt hurt much? Sorry if I did not pick your son......
Haha. Yeah I dont have a son. Youre picks just suck in some aspects.
106..Lexington...with ease This is fair.
113..Boiling Springs..iffy on this one Also fair, but I think you're right.
120..Colleton County ..in a tough one Absolute wrong call. Gregorichuk from BSHS has beat wrecked CC's O'Quinn every time they've met. That is likely an upper-state final rematch where BSHS wins.
126..Dorman..no real test Again, not giving credit. Not calling an upset, NOT AT ALL, but to say there is no real test is foolish. Clary only won 6-4 over BSHS in upper-state final here. He'll be pushed.
132..Westwood..better than most think You're right with this one. I agree he's an underrated P4P hammer.
138..Ft Mill..will he give up any points? ...Obvious.
145..Lugoff..can be beat This is a poor weight class. Of course he can be beat.
152..White Knoll..no real threat Agreed.
160..Dorman..have a feeling This is a possibility because of how the bracket worked out. I would argue that this is anyone's weight though. Everyone has beaten everyone else. Dorman wont be used to that spotlight. But its a fine guess.
170..Ft D....will get it done this year. High chance that Simpson shocks the world here. Seitz proved that Alford will fade when it matters most. He's not great from bottom and Simpson is a hammer on top. But... its a fair shot.
182..Rock Hill..any doubts? Lots of doubts.
195..Lugoff..intimidation factor will not be there. Agreed.
220..Goose Creek..on a mission This weight sucks so much its unreal. Who can say who wins.
285..Rock Hill.....there will be upsets in this bracket... You're smartest statement. This will be a fun bracket.

Overall, you've picked some smart matches. But some of them are just blatantly uninformed. So, yes. You remain sub-par in your predictions. Aka. An idiot.

You've said some good things and said some really stupid things. Scott is the guy to beat at 113, but Hofer may well do it. Scott will struggle to get out from underneath. Clary only beat Chavis from BSHS 6-4 in the Upper State final. Not calling an upset, but you're giving a little too much credit. The 145 bracket is an indictment on the weight... Burris will destroy Parker. Parker might not get passed the Dorman 152 who is a consistent, well coached kid who never gets out of position. Crowder is awful and wont get out of the semis. He's strong as an ox, obviously, but has no clue how to wrestle in a tie or from underneath. That is anyone's bracket except Crowder's. Parker got 4th in his Lower state tournament; its foolish to assume he'll be in the finals as well. Neither of the kids you cited made it to the finals of their qualifying tournament. You've excluded the BSHS kid 182 who is as much in the mix as the other 3. Other than that, not a bad analysis. Its obvious you're a lower state, and thats fine! We should be biased for our guys. But. Its also obvious you dont pay that much attention.
Thanks for the comments. I think I missed your post with predictions. You will not find me bad mouthing any of these wrestlers which is why people shy away from these posts. Stay positive. If you want to only predict 1upper vs 1lower to make finals then just read the bracket not someone's predictions. Some of the seedings are misleading do to draws, forfeits etc.. I tried to offer an opinion as to the wrestlers overall performance including past head to head, level of experience and so on, not just their last tournament. You are right I am from the lowerstate hence my username. Yes I probably sided with wrestlers I am more aware of but I also picked against some close friends. They are just my opinions and not "expert" analysis, opinions based only on My judgement. Again I will not state a negative opinion about a young man in high school on a public message board, I think it's inappropriate. This is for fun not meant to bring anyone down. I think one thing is obvious, you are a little immature. If you are a wrestler good luck and if you are fan, I hope you enjoy the competition. Remember to promote our sport not drag it down. You can offer an honest assessment without being negative.

don't know much about lower state, youll seem to think scott may beat hofer, but he didn't win lower state. How did that happen?

I think Hofer is wrestling exceptional right now, won upper state
Agree about Hofer, he may very easily take it all. Scott got caught in a bad position and got stuck but I think he is better than the wrestler with the 1 seed. As you probably know it just takes one mistake and anyone can be beat. I think I have witnessed almost all, if not all of this years "guaranteed" winners get beat. In that particular bracket I think it's going to be exciting and think Scott can pull it out. And no he is not my son nor does he wrestle at our local HS just my opinion. Good luck

Maybe, except 132. You obviously didn't see what Carrigan did to Coppola in the Lowerstate finals. Coppola can't go six full minutes where he has to work and hasn't seen competition like upstate wrestlers.
You may be right about Coppola. My opinion is that Carrigan is going to win and is one of the best wrestlers overall. I just offered an opinion about what I think might be a good match. I think I picked Byerley to meet Carrigan in the finals. Good luck Dawg, guess you had the chance to see Coppola wrestle a few times.

Thanks for the comments. I think I missed your post with predictions. You will not find me bad mouthing any of these wrestlers which is why people shy away from these posts. Stay positive. If you want to only predict 1upper vs 1lower to make finals then just read the bracket not someone's predictions. Some of the seedings are misleading do to draws, forfeits etc.. I tried to offer an opinion as to the wrestlers overall performance including past head to head, level of experience and so on, not just their last tournament. You are right I am from the lowerstate hence my username. Yes I probably sided with wrestlers I am more aware of but I also picked against some close friends. They are just my opinions and not "expert" analysis, opinions based only on My judgement. Again I will not state a negative opinion about a young man in high school on a public message board, I think it's inappropriate. This is for fun not meant to bring anyone down. I think one thing is obvious, you are a little immature. If you are a wrestler good luck and if you are fan, I hope you enjoy the competition. Remember to promote our sport not drag it down. You can offer an honest assessment without being negative.
I think there is a difference between being negative and giving a realistic comparison. There are wrestlers in some weights that wont be state champions that would destroy the field in other brackets if their weight was different. I don't intend to "badmouth" anyone, only to state what I understand to be the case in some of the weights. Its unfair to compare the 126, 132, or 170 finals to the 145, 160, 220 and so on. The pedigrees conflict. But nonetheless, you are right to state it should not be more than fun. Well spoken, indeed. You made a few grammatical errors, also. But that is irrelevant. I haven't posted predictions but I'd be happy to! Obviously we agree on several, and disagree on several others. Serious note, your head is certainly in the right place and thats appreciated. However, promoting our sport involves giving credit where its due, and not where it is not. Also, its not awesome that you make predictions and then hide behind a shield of "these are just my thoughts... Im not an expert..." so on. Stand by your predictions and respect a challenge to them. I may be utterly wrong. Ultimately, this is satirical at its roots. Like you said, this is a public message board... it shouldn't be taken terribly seriously by those who predict or those who criticize. I appreciated this chat. We both obviously care a significant amount, and that interest is what keeps us on the rise. Hope to see ya in Anderson homie.

I think there is a difference between being negative and giving a realistic comparison. There are wrestlers in some weights that wont be state champions that would destroy the field in other brackets if their weight was different. I don't intend to "badmouth" anyone, only to state what I understand to be the case in some of the weights. Its unfair to compare the 126, 132, or 170 finals to the 145, 160, 220 and so on. The pedigrees conflict. But nonetheless, you are right to state it should not be more than fun. Well spoken, indeed. You made a few grammatical errors, also. But that is irrelevant. I haven't posted predictions but I'd be happy to! Obviously we agree on several, and disagree on several others. Serious note, your head is certainly in the right place and thats appreciated. However, promoting our sport involves giving credit where its due, and not where it is not. Also, its not awesome that you make predictions and then hide behind a shield of "these are just my thoughts... Im not an expert..." so on. Stand by your predictions and respect a challenge to them. I may be utterly wrong. Ultimately, this is satirical at its roots. Like you said, this is a public message board... it shouldn't be taken terribly seriously by those who predict or those who criticize. I appreciated this chat. We both obviously care a significant amount, and that interest is what keeps us on the rise. Hope to see ya in Anderson homie.
If was hiding I wouldn't have responded. I hope there is more conversation. I would also hope that you have different opinions otherwise it would be boring to talk about. Every year there are weight classes that are stacked and some that are lacking. Making it difficult to compare wrestlers that compete at different levels, but they can only wrestle who steps on the mat at their weight but they still deserve credit for what they have accomplished in spite of weaker or stronger competition. My comments "they are only my opinions" is to note the fact that I do not have insight on all weight classes let alone wrestlers. I have not had the privilege to watch all the young men compete so I am reduced to my limited experience to make my predictions and I may very well misjudge a matchup. I do believe you can offer an honest assessment of one wrestler without being disrespectful to others. Let's have fun without the name calling. We can check back next week and see how awful our predictions were, for those that post a prediction. I will stand by them then as I do now, and can say that I can sit down next to any wrestler who might read this and still have their respect. You shouldn't have to prop up your accomplishments simply by knocking someone else. Ones accomplishments should stand on their own. You're right my grammar is pretty bad, but you seem to be well spoken. I hope to make it to Anderson if not hopefully SCHSL does a good job with the live webcast either way I hope you enjoy yourself and it is an exciting two days.

In all seriousness what I'm reading is that both of you agree that some weight classes are lacking in the talent that other weight classes are stacked in. You both bring up good points on who wins and loses, but lets pose another question... if our state was like CA or NJ... who would win each weight class? Basically meaning who is the best at the weight class PERIOD. With 3 classes, (really 4 but A and AA run together) classes tend to get watered down, lets scratch all that for a hypothetical moment and who do you think would win state title at a 1 class system?

Haha. Yeah I dont have a son. Youre picks just suck in some aspects.
106..Lexington...with ease This is fair. So we agree??
113..Boiling Springs..iffy on this one Also fair, but I think you're right. So we agree
120..Colleton County ..in a tough one Absolute wrong call. Gregorichuk from BSHS has beat wrecked CC's O'Quinn every time they've met. That is likely an upper-state final rematch where BSHS wins. We disagree
126..Dorman..no real test Again, not giving credit. Not calling an upset, NOT AT ALL, but to say there is no real test is foolish. Clary only won 6-4 over BSHS in upper-state final here. He'll be pushed. We disagree,
132..Westwood..better than most think You're right with this one. I agree he's an underrated P4P hammer...We agree
138..Ft Mill..will he give up any points? ...Obvious....We agree
145..Lugoff..can be beat This is a poor weight class. Of course he can be beat...We agree
152..White Knoll..no real threat Agreed. We agree
160..Dorman..have a feeling This is a possibility because of how the bracket worked out. I would argue that this is anyone's weight though. Everyone has beaten everyone else. Dorman wont be used to that spotlight. But its a fine guess. We agree
170..Ft D....will get it done this year. High chance that Simpson shocks the world here. Seitz proved that Alford will fade when it matters most. He's not great from bottom and Simpson is a hammer on top. But... its a fair shot. Somewhat agree
182..Rock Hill..any doubts? Lots of doubts... we disagree, yet no prediction from you
195..Lugoff..intimidation factor will not be there. Agreed....We agree
220..Goose Creek..on a mission This weight sucks so much its unreal. Who can say who wins... no opinion from you
285..Rock Hill.....there will be upsets in this bracket... You're smartest statement. This will be a fun bracket. We agree

Overall, you've picked some smart matches. But some of them are just blatantly uninformed. So, yes. You remain sub-par in your predictions. Aka. An idiot.

Glad you could join me, as there is an extra seat on the idiot train...considering that we agree on 9 of 14 and disagree on only 3. 1 of those not in wrestler, but in how "easy". So technically, 10 out of 14. Way to go, thanks for supporting my idiocy and joining me in such "sub-par" picks.....glad we can have the same opinion on so many..

Only time will tell.....

In all seriousness what I'm reading is that both of you agree that some weight classes are lacking in the talent that other weight classes are stacked in. You both bring up good points on who wins and loses, but lets pose another question... if our state was like CA or NJ... who would win each weight class? Basically meaning who is the best at the weight class PERIOD. With 3 classes, (really 4 but A and AA run together) classes tend to get watered down, lets scratch all that for a hypothetical moment and who do you think would win state title at a 1 class system?

Just off the top of my head ...in opinion only....

These are the only true "guarantees"
Clary
Carrigan
Leitten
Burris
Seitz
Duane

Not sure I know of AAA let alone AA/A to do it justice. But would be interested in reading someone's picks that's willing to give it a shot

Hey marginal observer,

Here are a couple of my observations:
1. You call someone an "idiot" for simply making picks
2. You call a high school kid "awful" who is a state qualifier and obviously has worked hard to get where he is
3. You call out someone else for "hiding" and not standing up for their remarks

Why don't you stop "hiding" and tell everyone your name. That way Crowder or his dad can come say hello this weekend. Or better yet, we can take a peek at your stellar career and find out how many times we can call you "awful".

Agreed.

Trepahn is really wrestling well. Really dominated the 2nd and 3rd period of the lower state final. Wrestles tougher in the first period and has a bit better game plan in the finals and he will unquestionably be right there.

Reactions: lowcountrydad
Dang!!! Steven Crowder is a defending state champ and one heck of a nice kid. I'm proud to say that my son has had the opportunity to work out with him and compete with him over those long summer months. 3 losses in the last 2 years does not make a bad wrestler. We are all entitled to our opinions, but that is a kid out there playing a game to the best of his ability, so let's give him some well deserved credit. Signed, Jason Seitz fan of the sport.

This is great, it started with just one line, who wins individual states. Have not seen this kind of interaction all year. Love to see the interest. Maybe we can keep it going more than just the last week of the season.
Good luck to all the boys going to state, everyone of them has earned their spot.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT