ADVERTISEMENT

Who wins individual states?

160 much better than being given credit. Painter from Lex would have made this even stronger! Already has some very tough kids.

Can't we all just along? It supposed to be fun. Especially when we look back on it next week. Not sure of the 160 Painter but the Parker twins from FD and the Painter bros. from Lexington have been battling for a couple of weeks at duals playoffs and lower state knocking each other out at 152 and 160. Burris and one of the Parker boys battled last year but not sure of this year as Painter knocked of Parker then lost to Burris with Parker ff the 3rd place match. The AR kid knocked off the other Parker. Yes the WW wrestler lost with barely any time left on a stalling call. That is why I stated Simpson would not repeat. Crowder should be recognized as defending state champ and both Parkers are returning state placers. To clarify at 145 I like North and have for years. Trephan is tough and aggressive. Will be great finals if Trephan gets by FM

Heard that the kid from Westwood at Hwt gave Fort D all he could handle? Giving up 75 lbs......anyone hear this or see it?

If that was the match I think it was he lost in SV or the last few seconds of the third. The kid from WW could have won as easily as he lost. He just made the.mistake of getting in too close and got wrapped up on his feet, after that he pretty much just got man-handled to the mat.

If that was the match I think it was he lost in SV or the last few seconds of the third. The kid from WW could have won as easily as he lost. He just made the.mistake of getting in too close and got wrapped up on his feet, after that he pretty much just got man-handled to the mat.
It was a stall call on Westwood that either sent it to overtime or cost the match, happened in the last few seconds as WW coaches went crazy. Simpson lack of mat time is showing but still strong as a bull

Last edited:
Keep giving it back homies. As Just A Parent said, this is the most action all year. OF COURSE IM NOT GOING TO SAY WHO I AM... I've stirred the pot way too much. But. The thread has gotten heated and exciting. Its great. I appreciate the New Jersey/California style tournament without classifications. Our state still is not quite competitive enough to crown 42 individual champs each year. If California only gives 14, we should as well. Down Side: Then there is less of a drive/need for North/South, which is a great event above all for the wrestlers. Mr. Newton, This remains, as Lowcountrydad and I agreed earlier, a public sports forum. None of these opinions are particularly important... Calling a kid awful is in no way, shape, or form an indictment on his work ethic, or, much less his character, Mr. Seitz. I dont know him personally at all. Im sure he is a great kid. If you really want to look at records, however, look at strength of schedule. A Greenwood schedule is pathetic in comparison to a Dorman or Lexington. The loss category would likely be a bit higher if he went to a Southern Slam, Coastal Clash, and so on. But thats enough about a single kid, for sure. I wont apologize stating what I understand to be the case, but I will if it pained the kid in a negative light. As I said, I dont know him at all. Ive only watched him wrestle. Here are my predictions:
106: Brausser, Lexington; He may major his way through the tournament.
113: Hofer, Boiling Springs; This is a sweet bracket. There is potential for upsets, but I think Hofer wins.
120: Gregorichuk, Boiling Springs; If BS wrestles at a level he's shown at other events, he cruises.
126: Clary, Dorman: He'll have to earn it in the final.
132: Carrigan, Westwood: He wins over Byerley on their feet and on the mat. 5-2 decision.
138: AJ Leitten, Fort Mill: He may tech his way through.
145: Bain, Dorman: Because of how the bracket worked out. Not confident here.
152: Burris, White Knowl: He will pin Johnson (if he gets there) in the final.
160: Florez, Boiling Springs: Lets see the feedback here!
170: Simpson, Dorman: Only because of his gas tank, Simpson may beat Alford. If the first period is close, there is a chance. If Alford builds his typical early lead, he'll protect it.
182: Chesney, Rock Hill: The final is unclear here. Its a four horse race in my opinion.
195: Ham, Lugolf: Wins over BSHS in a final closer than what some may predict. 6-2 decision.
220: Rubin, Goose Creek: Im sticking with what I said earlier. This is a poor weight class by comparison.
HWT: Salgado, Rock Hill: Simpson may not make the final. He hasn't had enough mat time to convince me that he'll be consistent in the tournament. Either way, I think Salgado is the guy.
Please respond, all.

Keep giving it back homies. As Just A Parent said, this is the most action all year. OF COURSE IM NOT GOING TO SAY WHO I AM... I've stirred the pot way too much. But. The thread has gotten heated and exciting. Its great. I appreciate the New Jersey/California style tournament without classifications. Our state still is not quite competitive enough to crown 42 individual champs each year. If California only gives 14, we should as well. Down Side: Then there is less of a drive/need for North/South, which is a great event above all for the wrestlers. Mr. Newton, This remains, as Lowcountrydad and I agreed earlier, a public sports forum. None of these opinions are particularly important... Calling a kid awful is in no way, shape, or form an indictment on his work ethic, or, much less his character, Mr. Seitz. I dont know him personally at all. Im sure he is a great kid. If you really want to look at records, however, look at strength of schedule. A Greenwood schedule is pathetic in comparison to a Dorman or Lexington. The loss category would likely be a bit higher if he went to a Southern Slam, Coastal Clash, and so on. But thats enough about a single kid, for sure. I wont apologize stating what I understand to be the case, but I will if it pained the kid in a negative light. As I said, I dont know him at all. Ive only watched him wrestle. Here are my predictions:
106: Brausser, Lexington; He may major his way through the tournament.
113: Hofer, Boiling Springs; This is a sweet bracket. There is potential for upsets, but I think Hofer wins.
120: Gregorichuk, Boiling Springs; If BS wrestles at a level he's shown at other events, he cruises.
126: Clary, Dorman: He'll have to earn it in the final.
132: Carrigan, Westwood: He wins over Byerley on their feet and on the mat. 5-2 decision.
138: AJ Leitten, Fort Mill: He may tech his way through.
145: Bain, Dorman: Because of how the bracket worked out. Not confident here.
152: Burris, White Knowl: He will pin Johnson (if he gets there) in the final.
160: Florez, Boiling Springs: Lets see the feedback here!
170: Simpson, Dorman: Only because of his gas tank, Simpson may beat Alford. If the first period is close, there is a chance. If Alford builds his typical early lead, he'll protect it.
182: Chesney, Rock Hill: The final is unclear here. Its a four horse race in my opinion.
195: Ham, Lugolf: Wins over BSHS in a final closer than what some may predict. 6-2 decision.
220: Rubin, Goose Creek: Im sticking with what I said earlier. This is a poor weight class by comparison.
HWT: Salgado, Rock Hill: Simpson may not make the final. He hasn't had enough mat time to convince me that he'll be consistent in the tournament. Either way, I think Salgado is the guy.
Please respond, all.

Real quick on strength of schedule... does Steven set the schedule??? And with that being said, maybe if the staff set a tougher schedule, it would give the kid something to rise to. Another question, what schedule does Steven set??? His summer schedule is the answer. He seems to set a pretty tough summer schedule with wrestling in Jr. Duals and Disney. Takes alot better than an awful wrestler to take on those type of challenges. Not jumping anyone but just think when dealing with kids you gotta watch what you say.

Reactions: scwrestlingdad
Agreed. Competition at our states best in-season tournaments more than pales in comparison to the level of wrestling kids who compete at the major events over the summer see. That said, I wish a greater emphasis was placed on Fargo and Junior Duals as opposed to heading down to Florida but wrestling is wrestling and I'm not knocking DD.

don't know much about lower state, youll seem to think scott may beat hofer, but he didn't win lower state. How did that happen?

I think Hofer is wrestling exceptional right now, won upper state
Hofer is tough as nails right now and will be the guy to beat at 113, and he is a great kid. Darren (Scott) was handling Porter throughout the match but tried a funk roll from the bottom, 3 times, and the White Knoll coaches did an amazing job picking this up and guided Porter on what to do and it worked, he got caught. Porter did an outstanding job listening to his coaches and being alert on the mat. Better to lose then than this weekend. I am very excited about this weekend and to see Darren face the competition.
Darren Scott Sr

Reactions: lowcountrydad
I wouldn't count Crowder out. I believe Clary is just wrestling to move on...he isn't wrestling to blow anyone out especially in the finals. He will win probably by Dec.

Hofer is tough as nails right now and will be the guy to beat at 113, and he is a great kid. Darren (Scott) was handling Porter throughout the match but tried a funk roll from the bottom, 3 times, and the White Knoll coaches did an amazing job picking this up and guided Porter on what to do and it worked, he got caught. Porter did an outstanding job listening to his coaches and being alert on the mat. Better to lose then than this weekend. I am very excited about this weekend and to see Darren face the competition.
Darren Scott Sr
Good luck, he definitely looks driven the second half of the season. I hope he wins.

Reactions: WandoWarrior
They all deserve a certain level of respect for making it to the finals and then a level of respect for winning a tough match when being counted out, and for past head to head success. That's why they toe the line, anything can happen. I seen some dominant kids lose unexpectedly going back to Leittens 8th grade year(my sons 7th) he had destroyed middle school tournaments all year and had traveled to compete in the best off season matches. He destroyed the first couple of wrestlers that day at Lexington then went for an I'll advise and unnecessary throw against K. Spann and got stuck. Then I specifically remember seeing AJ taking down Sass at will his Fr. Yr to make the same mistake and lose. Not a negative against AJ whom I regard as one of the best if not the best, but anyone can win. Or Talon two years ago, 64-1 going onto the Semis at state as the fav only to lose in OT. Same year Swazlinski rides the 3 seed to a title. Alford loses to Van Slooten on a locking hands call in the semis then battles back the next year with a broken foot and lost a controversial match because the ref called for injury time instead of blood time and AJ ended up taking too many injury t.o.s and was dq'd. Gibbs from Summerville rides the three seed to the title beating two guys who beat him all year. And Clary losing his first HS match in the finals to Knipper(SOC) who ended up MOW. I could go on and on and didn't touch the lower divisions. That's why they toe the line and why we watch. Every wrestler that qualified has a chance and everyone of them can make a mistake but they all deserve the respect that they have earned. No one was handed anything for free, they have all worked their butts off. Take the time to congratulate them and recognize and maybe hold up on that criticism that might stem from jealousy, envy or your own lack of self esteem. So we have made our predictions and for I can't wait to see how bad we did to teach us to underestimate some of these guys.

They all deserve a certain level of respect for making it to the finals and then a level of respect for winning a tough match when being counted out, and for past head to head success. That's why they toe the line, anything can happen. I seen some dominant kids lose unexpectedly going back to Leittens 8th grade year(my sons 7th) he had destroyed middle school tournaments all year and had traveled to compete in the best off season matches. He destroyed the first couple of wrestlers that day at Lexington then went for an I'll advise and unnecessary throw against K. Spann and got stuck. Then I specifically remember seeing AJ taking down Sass at will his Fr. Yr to make the same mistake and lose. Not a negative against AJ whom I regard as one of the best if not the best, but anyone can win. Or Talon two years ago, 64-1 going onto the Semis at state as the fav only to lose in OT. Same year Swazlinski rides the 3 seed to a title. Alford loses to Van Slooten on a locking hands call in the semis then battles back the next year with a broken foot and lost a controversial match because the ref called for injury time instead of blood time and AJ ended up taking too many injury t.o.s and was dq'd. Gibbs from Summerville rides the three seed to the title beating two guys who beat him all year. And Clary losing his first HS match in the finals to Knipper(SOC) who ended up MOW. I could go on and on and didn't touch the lower divisions. That's why they toe the line and why we watch. Every wrestler that qualified has a chance and everyone of them can make a mistake but they all deserve the respect that they have earned. No one was handed anything for free, they have all worked their butts off. Take the time to congratulate them and recognize and maybe hold up on that criticism that might stem from jealousy, envy or your own lack of self esteem. So we have made our predictions and for I can't wait to see how bad we did to teach us to underestimate some of these guys.
Well spoken.

Thanks Newton and Jason . Good luck to your guys Hope to see both at the tournament

You've said some good things and said some really stupid things. Scott is the guy to beat at 113, but Hofer may well do it. Scott will struggle to get out from underneath. Clary only beat Chavis from BSHS 6-4 in the Upper State final. Not calling an upset, but you're giving a little too much credit. The 145 bracket is an indictment on the weight... Burris will destroy Parker. Parker might not get passed the Dorman 152 who is a consistent, well coached kid who never gets out of position. Crowder is awful and wont get out of the semis. He's strong as an ox, obviously, but has no clue how to wrestle in a tie or from underneath. That is anyone's bracket except Crowder's. Parker got 4th in his Lower state tournament; its foolish to assume he'll be in the finals as well. Neither of the kids you cited made it to the finals of their qualifying tournament. You've excluded the BSHS kid 182 who is as much in the mix as the other 3. Other than that, not a bad analysis. Its obvious you're a lower state, and thats fine! We should be biased for our guys. But. Its also obvious you dont pay that much attention.

@marginalobserver for a "marginal observer", you sure do have a strong opinion. That's great, but name calling?

Marginal you sir are a classless coward . My son has done nothing but wrestle his best . I assume he has never disrespected you. He has never participated on this board or any other board. He makes the A B honor role and is very active in his church. Perhaps you could take the time to meet him this weekend . I know I would like nothing better than to meet you. Stevens dad

Well here goes:
AAAA-
106- LS rematch Corbett vs Brassuer, Brassuer takes it
113-Scott wins but great 1st rd vs Brotemarkel and then Hofer in Semis tough draw
120-should be good action in the semis, I think it's Upstate here w/ Grigorchuck getting the win over Anderson
126-Clary goes out on top, nobody gives him much trouble here, Cameron is tough but LS is missing their highest ranked eliminating Coastal Clash rematch. Great HS career for Clary
132-Coppola v Byerley in semis is good match w/ Byerley losing to Carrigan in finals but will be a tough battle
138-Caspio v Catoe might be best first round but no stopping Leitten as he beats Catoe for his second
145-North's to lose, don't know much about FM wrestler but Trephan is real good and push North in the final
152-Rematch of Painter v Parker is going to be a scrap and I know Parker is one of only a few to get after Burris, might have beat before but I think Burris pulls it out
160-not familiar w/ Rutherford or how he beat Crowder but I think this Parker from FD beats Crowder in finals
170-Simpson makes finals but no freaky losses this yr Alford won't be denied
182-Chesney will have two beasts to get by in Rubin and Montgomery but I think he beats the athletic kid from SV for the win
195-I'm intimidated by Ham from the stands he wins against Trephan(if healthy) or beats BS senior in final
220-Rubin gets by Goff in semis and the beats Degannes in finals
HWT-I think Salgado and Simpson meet in finals but the lack of mat time this year for Simpson catches up to him Salgado with lots of mat time avenges his loss from last year and wins it all.
With that said they are all great wrestlers and know they all deserve to be there and get their chance for a title. Good luck
After day 1 I will repick and evaluate my original picks and thoughts:
106-Corbett v Brassuer-I guessed right and will stick with Brassuer
113-Hofer v Murray- I totally underestimated Murray and missed on Scott but I did have Hofer losing in final. So I switch to Hofer
120-Grigorchuck v Anderson- got this right as well sticking w/ Grigorchuck
126-Clary v Chavis- I didn't pick an opponent for Clary originally but I whiffed on Chavis, I'll stick with Clary winning
132-Carrigan v Byerley- another correct finals match up and will stick with Carrigan
138- Leitten v Caspio- I thought Catoe would beat Caspio but Caspio proved me wrong but I did have Leitten making it and winning, no changing
145-Trephan v North- another correct final predicted. I picked North to win and I won't change but I think Trephan just might pull it out
152-D.Parker v Burris- didn't totally commit to Parker making final but knew he was close. I originally picked Burris and staying with him but Parker is going to be tough
160-J.Parker v Carnes- I had Parker v Crowder but Carnes beat Crowder in OT. I will stick with Parker winning for FD
170-Simpson v Alford- another correct prediction on both and again will stick w/ Alford
182-Rubin v Bunch- after his LS performance I underestimated Rubin thinking he would lose to Chesney. I will stick with Bunch from SV
195- Trephan v Ham- got this one right too. Picked Ham and sticking with it
220- Degannes v Rubin- correct again, will stick with Rubin
285- Salgado v Simpson correct again sticking w/ Salgado
I picked 9 out of 14 finals the other 5 I had at least one finalist correct. 13 out 14 picks to be champ are still in it. I whiffed at 113 but still picked a finalist. Not to bad so far. No complete surprises, a few small upsets but we will see if this holds true tomorrow.

Reactions: iceman112
Putting this in this post because I know everyone of you will catch a flag saying someone replied. Go and make a P4P ranking. Your own opinion, your own reasoning... just to see how much people watched the tournament as a whole and who you think deserves to be in top 10

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT