ADVERTISEMENT

Who would you want to work for?

HitHardah

Rookie
Sep 22, 2008
I've been curious about this for awhile now. If you are a coach (or were a coach), who are some head coaches that you'd want to work for and why? Who's staff would you want to be on based on their style of coaching/leadership? Obviously, being a message board, you may have to go off word of mouth based on what you've heard from other folks. You may have personal experience with this person. I don't want this to turn into a bash session. I just want to hear some thoughts. Thanks

With all the focus coming out of Spring Valley regarding Dr. Brown, I feel like I would love working for a man like that. I've heard that he is a bit of a slave-master: extremely demanding of his coaches and players alike. Now I like the idea of getting out of practice and going home early to my wife and kids, but my biggest pet-peeve is head coaches who expect the time of their assistants, but don't focus the time on making football better. I don't mind sacrificing my time for a demanding coach if I think my time is well-spent, focusing on improving our team and increasing our chances of winning. The horror stories I've heard about Brown is that he expects a TON: scouting, film breakdowns, recruiting efforts, scripted drill sessions, scripted practice sessions, professional development, and a LOAD of time from his assistants. Well, you know what? You can have it, if it gets us a "W" on Friday.

The man has obviously proven that the formula works, and he has the rings, just in case you don't believe him. I don't want to stick around the school until the wee hours of the morning because I'm on a staff that likes to sit around and chat about how it was in the "good ole days." I'd rather give that time to my family or my church. But if you're asking me for that time for the production and betterment of our athletes and team? Take it. That's what I want. I feel whole-heartedly that Spring Valley will regret letting that man leave. And though his taskmaster style may not be fitting for everyone, it works. It wins. He wins. And I like winning. I would join his staff for free, just to learn something from the man.

Originally posted by HitHardah:
I've been curious about this for awhile now. If you are a coach (or were a coach), who are some head coaches that you'd want to work for and why? Who's staff would you want to be on based on their style of coaching/leadership? Obviously, being a message board, you may have to go off word of mouth based on what you've heard from other folks. You may have personal experience with this person. I don't want this to turn into a bash session. I just want to hear some thoughts. Thanks
I'm not a coach nor have ever been a coach, but I'll answer anyway..........Steve Taneyhill or Scott Earley.

Frost would be an excellent choice.

Earley and Tannyhill? With both of them, expect to learn a ton about offensive football, quite a bit about having a tighter golf swing, and everything there is to know about how to use the F-word as every part of speech; it's impeccable.

I don't know much about Frost. He's obviously a good coach. Dan Pippin is a heck of a coach in his own right. Don't know him personally. A buddy of mine used to work for him and really liked him. Liked how he did things.

Those are some good names. I'd like to work for Phil Strickland. See how he does things.Personally, from the outside looking in, I don't think you can do much better than Coach Strickland. Just my opinion. There are a lot of ways to win so I guess it just depends on what style you like and what best fits your personality.

JB AND MAYBE I COULD GET A SHIRT
lurk.r191677.gif

Originally posted by ShivaBlast:
With all the focus coming out of Spring Valley regarding Dr. Brown, I feel like I would love working for a man like that.
Talk to some of his former assistants - I don't think you'd have the same opinion after that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT