ADVERTISEMENT

Woodland

underneaththelights

Bench Warmer
Jan 5, 2016
Heard a rumor when I went to lunch today that the Woodland High School football coach resigned recently......anybody heard anything about that?

My understanding is that all the football coaches were relieved of their duties

Whats shady? Mathis had a meeting with all the players saying he resigned and was not fired. Gave a number of reasons. It is my understanding that a current assistant will be named interim head coach for the upcoming season. Have also heard that Mathis's brother is also leaving so that would be two assistant coaching positions open.

You are correct that he did resign....just because one resigns, doesn't meant it was their idea to resign....That's just what I'm hearing....and it wouldn't be the first time a coach has resigned from woodland that was actually doing well.

That's what I heard also...I don't know him...but I heard this current school year is his first year teaching and coaching...is that true?

There has been some very talented players come through WHS in the last 5 years. They always seem to get a tough draw in the playoffs. Their region has not been very strong outside of the BE run of a few years ago.

Pretty positive Cody will not be the head coach, possibly a associate head coaching title or something similar but not the head coach.. Woodland hasn't been in the BE region for a couple of years, they were in the silver bluff barnwell region. They do go back to the Charleston region next school year.

Woodland is the red-haired child of Dorchester County. Has been ever since they consolidated Harleyville-Ridgeville with St. George High School. The Eagles of St. George had a good run in the 70's and 80's in football, but HR Cobras were never very good. Heck, if they beat St. George and finished 1-9 it was a "successful" year in their minds.

That attitude seemed to move over to Woodland when they opened the doors. They were just "happy" to win a few ball games. No support. No money. Fragmented student-body from all over the upper end of the county. School out in the middle of nowhere with no identiy.

If they could get the 600 white kids out of Dorchester Academy to go to the public school systems there, they would have more "influential" people who gave a crap. But that wont happen as long as all the "power people" have their kids and grandkids in DA. People in that area complain and complain, but nothing ever really happens. Word I hear is that the couple pro players who came through there don't even like to give back to the school because they think most of the money they would give would end up in the pockets of people instead of the locker room, equipment room or ball field....

Good luck to whoever gets that job.....

:(

dacoach, your reply would have been spot on 5-7 years ago. But since then there has been a lot more support and sucess for the athletic department. In football, the last 8 seasons they have won 60 games and that includes a 3-8 last year. That's 7.5 wins a year with a few region championships and playoff wins. Not terrible and surely not happy with 1-9. A lot of kids have transferred over to woodland from dorchester academy. I see that you are not to up to date on your numbers because DA only has about 300 "white kids" now. That's kindergarten through 12. There is current construction on expanding the football locker rooms and also building a baseball/ softball field house. The coaching supplements are among the highest in the low country . the money is being spent. Like I said , your post contains some good info, it's just pretty outdated.

Thanks "Tiger"..... seems I need to go nose around Dorchester County again sometime soon.

:D

My experience ended with Charpia's time there. But I do still have "connections" in the community. I had heard as lately as last year that DA was on the rise in enrollment, that locals were not happy with Woodland. And funny you put quotatitons around white. Has that changed, too? Or are they more culturally diverse since the place was built in 1966? Evidently, I REALLY need to brush up on my history of Pregnal, Byrds, Four Hole, Reeseville, Rosinville, Canadys and the like.....

o_O

I doubt anyone will deny that Matt and Co. had way more resources and support than Reed and Rusty did. Not even close to what it was when they were there. They had to beg for everything they wanted and still didn't get much of that. Not even a fair comparison. As far as DA is concerned, the enrollment has been down and there are a few who have already enrolled in woodland for next school year.

Thanks "Tiger"..... seems I need to go nose around Dorchester County again sometime soon.

:D

My experience ended with Charpia's time there. But I do still have "connections" in the community. I had heard as lately as last year that DA was on the rise in enrollment, that locals were not happy with Woodland. And funny you put quotatitons around white. Has that changed, too? Or are they more culturally diverse since the place was built in 1966? Evidently, I REALLY need to brush up on my history of Pregnal, Byrds, Four Hole, Reeseville, Rosinville, Canadys and the like.....

o_O

Don't forget St. Paul, Harleyville and Grover! haha

Can't forget Durham's Corner! Heck, The Skinning Shed could be considered a community as well!!!!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT