ADVERTISEMENT

Xavier Thomas

BulldogZ91

Two Year Starter
Jan 7, 2005
Saw where X Thomas is leaving SC to attend IMG in FL. How good is this kid? I'm not familiar with his team. Who in the past does he compare to?

I don't have anyone to compare him too, but I noticed on the State article how tuition is 73,000 annually. How in the world is he going to pay for that?

I don't have anyone to compare him too, but I noticed on the State article how tuition is 73,000 annually. How in the world is he going to pay for that?

IMG offers "financial aid" to athletes that they deem skilled enough and mentally ready for their program. They don't call them scholarships even though that's what they really are. I don't have any issue with it though, as I think every kid has the right to play where they feel best suited to achieve whatever their future goal is. As far as X Thomas, that kid is an amazing athlete! I saw him at the Nike Opening and he dominated the best of the best there. He is a legit 5 star athlete!

He's very fast. If he feels he doesn't have a shot to make the play, he doesn't pursue it real hard. I am sure IMG will fix that though. He was the best one on his team at Wilson, but you need a lot more than one very good athlete to be successful on the field. Good luck to him. He seems like a good kid.

Couple things...

Wilson is a hot mess right now. No AD. Team is struggling to find an identity. Only a couple players on either side of the ball that catches your eye. One of those players was obviously Xavier. While it's true he wasn't in on every single play, he has a whole Hudl page full of plays to show you just how "dominating" he COULD be. But teams aren't stupid. It's Xavier, then the 10 others. Tells schemed their ENTIRE offensive game plans around him. The other DE they have is pretty good, but young and not nearly as strong. The LB (#7, I think) is a pretty good player, too, but most teams took their chances with him, NOT Xavier. He got double teamed, chipped, cut, run-away-from, quick passed... you name it. If you don't think the kid is a MAN, then i"d question your football intelligence level. There is a REASON everyone stayed away from him.

As for his decision to go to IMG. This was known over a month ago. Like I said, the situation at Wilson (specifically INSIDE the building) is not good. He's going to a place where a sponsor will pay his way, he will get great coaching, even more exposure, a taste of independent living to sample college life, and will face much better competition in practice and one game nights. Its an all-around win for him. BTW, he swears this will have no effect on his future commitment plans. We shall see.

I personally wish him well. With all the talent that has come out of Wilson over the years, he is certainly the next NFL star to pass through that building. I just hate it for the teammates he's leaving behind. His sacks, TFLs, batted balls, etc will be hard to replace. I also hope that Wilson gets its crap together in the Athletic Offices. They have 2 Top 10 Basketball teams.... there are student-athletes all in that building that need to be encouraged to play any and ALL sports.

o_O

Reactions: SeaHawk55
So, Coach who would you compare him to that we've seen in the past? Daquan Bowers, Ricky Sapp, Courtney Brown, Shaun Ellis, William or Michael Dean Perry, Clowney, Dunlap, Quinn, etc. I know I've left off others and I'm not saying to judge whether the kid is better than those or not. I'm just not familiar with him, his school or the level of competition they face. I hope he becomes a star...always pull for the homegrown SC kids.

Certainly not a Courtney Brown or William Perry. He's not nearly that big/heavy. He's freakishly athlete like Bowers and Clowney, but he probably more a Shuan Ellis. He was about 225 as a DE in high school, if I remember correctly, but I believe he started out as a Corner.

Anyway, Xavier has the fastest closing speed I've ever seen in a big man. His burst off the line is pretty amazing, too.

Just browse some of his highlights and you can see for yourself:
https://www.hudl.com/profile/3316228/xavier-thomas

;)

Reactions: BulldogZ91
he could have ran down a lot of plays if he wanted to, because he is that fast....

X is a great prospect and I am glad he gets the op to go because it was obvious when we played Wilson he was at half effort. He ran down our very fast little back several times like it was nothing. Didn't even try that hard for stops or sacks so, in a way it was a shame to see his great talent wasted where more effort would have had minimal impact. He will be as good at the next level as his desire allows. Look at Edwards from Conway. Great Gamecock, not that big in high school. Wilson always has great players but not much of a game plan. I am all for Region 7 being the best, so wishing Tigers all the best. NMB made great strides this year and Wilson can too with the super talent in that area.

IMG offers "financial aid" to athletes that they deem skilled enough and mentally ready for their program. They don't call them scholarships even though that's what they really are. I don't have any issue with it though, as I think every kid has the right to play where they feel best suited to achieve whatever their future goal is. As far as X Thomas, that kid is an amazing athlete! I saw him at the Nike Opening and he dominated the best of the best there. He is a legit 5 star athlete!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT