ADVERTISEMENT

2017-2018 SC P4P Rankings

SButler

Two Year Starter
Jan 1, 2012
Thought it would be interesting to see everyone's take on a P4P ranking, highlight some of SC's top wrestlers. 2017-2018 so no current seniors are included. Absolutely NO ripping any kid! No calling anyone an idiot for putting this kid here or this kid there etc. Keep it positive and constructive, apply your own reasoning and criteria as it's all subjective.

I'll throw out my initial Top 10, but feel free to go Top 15, 20 etc if you like. My rankings are based on success in SC, success outside SC/National Events, success in FS/GR and how I feel a kid might translate to next level.

And lastly I'm familiar/have seen allot of SC kids, but am not familiar with them ALL, so if I leave a worthy contender off, please don't take it as a slight......Mom, Dad, Coach :) Educate me!

Update #1 Post NHSCA/Flo- Pre Fargo & Super 32

1) Owen Trephan/Ashley Ridge- Its tough for me not to put him here with what he has done as a freshman/sophomore in the big boy weight classes. Solid in all positions. Would like to see him compete at Fargo....but really feel he translates well to the next level.

2) Trevor Mansfield/BHP- Hard working kid finally got that state title this year and will be looking to double AA at Fargo coming off of GR AA last year. If he can do that..... he will make it hard for me to keep him at #2.

3) Johnathan Parker/Fort D- Looking to become a 3X Champ/4X finalist which speaks for itself and competes well out of state. Would love to see him compete regionally/nationally in FS/GR as I believe his strengths translate well to the Olympic Styles.

4) Jordan Aluyan/Fort D- Kid has all the tools. Didn't break a sweat at 106 in SC this year and competes well out of state.Should finish up as a 3X Champ and the potential is there for great things. Would like to see him compete in Freestyle as his style of wrestling is a perfect fit.

5) Jacob Brasseur/Lexington- Marched through 113 this year and has gotten out and competed out of state often. Will be looking to close out next year as a 2X Champ and looking forward to hopefully seeing what he can do at Super 32.

6) Bailey Wilkins/Rock Hill- Tough Freshman State Champ. Don't know a ton about him, but competes out of state consistently and made the trip to Fargo last year/preparing for the same this year. Wrestled GA freshman Stud N. Stonecheck tight at NHSCA before getting caught. Looking forward to see if he can break through at Fargo!

7) Jordie White/Eastside- Strong, physical wrestler. Very tough on top. Poised to become a 4 Timer for Eastside and that's special. With that, he should and could probably be higher, but I don't see/can't find much on out of state competition for him or else he would be. Same theme.. would love to see him get into the FS/GR scene. One I would certainly move up in my rankings after Fargo/Super 32 etc.

8) Billy Christie/Hilton Head- Talented Kid from the Island. What little I have seen of him I liked. Possible 3X Champ. Just not enough of him outside of SC to put him higher. That could change.

9) Ben Emery/River Bluff- Small sample size coming from out of state, but won a competitive weight class this year. Has a great motor with great leg attacks. Would like to see how he fares in regional/national events.

10A) Drew Parker- 2X Finalist, 160lb State Champion. The other half of the Parker twin dynamic duo! Kid has all the tools his brother has and could easily find himself right there with his brother by mid season.
10B) Jake Hart/Fort Mill- Had some great battles with Emery. Understand he was injured in Semi's at state. Quality win over GA Freshman Stud C. Darracott at Coastal Clash. Looking forward to seeing his off season results.

2016/2017 Freshman Future Top 10 Contenders (No Particular Order):
Walker Stephenson/Hillcrest
Ben Maholtz/Eastside
Sam Emery/River Bluff
Asa Addison/Pendleton
Tyler Byars/Blue Ridge
Preston Soriano/Stratford
Chase Barnes/Eastside
Joseph Brown/Fort Dorchester
Augustine/Eastside
Augustine/Eastside

Last edited:
1. Trephan
2. Mansfield
3. Wilkins
4. Emery
5. Hart
6. Brasseur
7. J.parker
8. Aluyan
9. D.Parker
10. W.Stephenson

Parkers and Aluyan would be higher, but I've only seen them compete at NHSCA. Haven't seen much of aluyan but I know 106,160,170 were the easiest weights this year in 5A. Not dogging the FD guys because don't get me wrong, they're complete studs and will go to the next level. But I don't see enough of Out of state competition from them

Reactions: SButler
1. Trephan
2. Mansfield
3. Wilkins
4. Emery
5. Hart
6. Brasseur
7. J.parker
8. Aluyan
9. D.Parker
10. W.Stephenson

Parkers and Aluyan would be higher, but I've only seen them compete at NHSCA. Haven't seen much of aluyan but I know 106,160,170 were the easiest weights this year in 5A. Not dogging the FD guys because don't get me wrong, they're complete studs and will go to the next level. But I don't see enough of Out of state competition from them

I think allot of folks Top 10 will have allot of the same names, just different spots in the order, as we all see some kids more then others, have different priorities in evaluations. When your putting together a Top 10 your dealing with all really good kids with not allot of separation between them in most cases. For me, seeing others Top 10, allows me to identify a kid I might have missed, a kid I might need to place higher/lower, just evaluate my evaluation process.

Last edited:
I think allot of folks Top 10 will have allot of the same names, just different spots in the order, as we all see some kids more then others, have different priorities in evaluations. When your putting together a Top 10 your dealing with all really good kids with not allot of separation between them in most cases. For me, seeing others Top 10, allows me to identify a kid I might have missed, a kid I might need to place higher/lower, just evaluate my evaluation process.

Cole Murphy (Liberty) has to be on the list. Will be 4 timer next year but does need to get out of state and compete. No pre-season stuff because he is also an all-region football player (believe it or not, college coaches like that). Has all the tools to do well at the next level.

TBowe

Cole Murphy (Liberty) has to be on the list. Will be 4 timer next year but does need to get out of state and compete. No pre-season stuff because he is also an all-region football player (believe it or not, college coaches like that). Has all the tools to do well at the next level.

TBowe

Troy,
I'll admit I have seen the name, but haven't seen him/don't know much about him. Wrestling 1/2A sometimes you don't get to see those kids match up with some of the other, known top kids. Checking SC Mat, Track etc , I couldn't find or just missed any head to heads I could use. Did he ever get the chance to wrestle any of the guys like Casio, Prince , Stephenson, or North etc this past season?

Troy,
I'll admit I have seen the name, but haven't seen him/don't know much about him. Wrestling 1/2A sometimes you don't get to see those kids match up with some of the other, known top kids. Checking SC Mat, Track etc , I couldn't find or just missed any head to heads I could use. Did he ever get the chance to wrestle any of the guys like Casio, Prince , Stephenson, or North etc this past season?

One of the other threads had a comment that he lost to North in late January. I can't confirm that.

One of the other threads had a comment that he lost to North in late January. I can't confirm that.

He did lose to North but not sure when that was. He did tell me that was his worst match of the year, but he is a kid and isn't that what they usually say. First time I really watched him was this year. He can go. Like I said, all the tools. Was certified 138 but no need for him to cut in 2A. He could of won 2A from 138-170.

TBowe

Cole Murphy is the real deal. He's a naturally gifted athlete that would probably excel at any sport he tried to play. He did lose to the kid mentioned above, I think at a dual at West Oak. Due to Liberty making a run in the playoffs and a nagging injury it took Cole a little while to get going. Unfortunately for Liberty they are now in pretty weak region due to realignment. Over the past few years I've watched him wrestle and he more than held his own with kids that well respected around the upstate and GA.

Reactions: Jasonwilkins
I know for football guys Super 32 is out. So if it is a small school that doesn't participate in one of the big in state tournaments, Slam, Coastal Clash, Military Duals etc, and their not wrestling any postseason regional/national events, its tough to evaluate them. Their were a handful of kids I considered strongly, thought were right there close.
I just couldn't find enough to bump one of the others out.

Troy I know you get up close with most of these kids throughout the year, let me ask you since you have more visibility, where would you personally put Murphy?

Last edited:
I know for football guys Super 32 is out. So if it is a small school that doesn't participate in one of the big in state tournaments, Slam, Coastal Clash, Military Duals etc, and their not wrestling any postseason regional/national events, its tough to evaluate them. Their were a handful of kids I considered strongly, thought were right there close.
I just couldn't find enough to bump one of the others one out.

Troy I know you get up close with most of these kids throughout the year, let me ask you since you have more visibility, where would you personally put Murphy?

SButler,

I honestly believe he beats Mansfield in folk style, but he is stronger and more athletic and certainly has never been to Fargo, let alone AA. Pretty sure the two of them have rolled around together, but don't know if they have ever wrestled a real match. Also think he is better than Wilkins at this stage, for the same reasons as above. He is different than the Parker twins. He scores points. He is Penn State, they are Iowa. I would say top 5 but it is hard for me to compare him to the little guys on the list. Plus, he really has yet to prove it in the few opportunities he does get against the better kids. He took 4th (I think) in the Slam as a sophomore and didn't get to wrestle in it this year due to us still playing football. I think he will do well at the next level, but he needs to get out there more to enhance his opportunities.

TBowe

SButler,

I honestly believe he beats Mansfield in folk style, but he is stronger and more athletic and certainly has never been to Fargo, let alone AA. Pretty sure the two of them have rolled around together, but don't know if they have ever wrestled a real match. Also think he is better than Wilkins at this stage, for the same reasons as above. He is different than the Parker twins. He scores points. He is Penn State, they are Iowa. I would say top 5 but it is hard for me to compare him to the little guys on the list. Plus, he really has yet to prove it in the few opportunities he does get against the better kids. He took 4th (I think) in the Slam as a sophomore and didn't get to wrestle in it this year due to us still playing football. I think he will do well at the next level, but he needs to get out there more to enhance his opportunities.

TBowe

TBowe is Cole thinking of wrestling at the next level or trying to play football? Do you think Liberty being in a weaker region hurts his exposure? He's an all around athlete IMO. I could see him doing either once his days at LHS are over.

TBowe is Cole thinking of wrestling at the next level or trying to play football? Do you think Liberty being in a weaker region hurts his exposure? He's an all around athlete IMO. I could see him doing either once his days at LHS are over.

He wants to wrestle in college. Don't think he is big enough to play FB. Would have to move to S which I think he could, but we play him at our Sam/nickel position. I think he would prefer to wrestle.

TBowe

Reactions: BulldogZ91
For what it is worth...I did watch Cole Murphy school one of the Parker brothers in the Middle School State tournament. Cole is very naturally gifted. Give him a baseball and he probably becomes your #1 pitcher. I would not discount the fact he is 2A.

He wants to wrestle in college. Don't think he is big enough to play FB. Would have to move to S which I think he could, but we play him at our Sam/nickel position. I think he would prefer to wrestle.

TBowe

T - how long have you been at Liberty? My nephew was there from 10-14. He was the 182 state champ back in 2014. Cole's brother Kris was a pretty good wrestler & football player in his own right. Those boys are naturally gifted athletes.

T - how long have you been at Liberty? My nephew was there from 10-14. He was the 182 state champ back in 2014. Cole's brother Kris was a pretty good wrestler & football player in his own right. Those boys are naturally gifted athletes.

1st year at Liberty.

1st year at Liberty.

Best of luck to you TBowe...it's a great school and community. I lived in Liberty for about 5 years and finally moved because the commute to the east side of Greenville was killing us in gas and time. I could see myself living there again some day.

Best of luck to you TBowe...it's a great school and community. I lived in Liberty for about 5 years and finally moved because the commute to the east side of Greenville was killing us in gas and time. I could see myself living there again some day.

Thank you. I have enjoyed teaching and coaching in Pickens county (DWD prior 3 years). The students and faculty at both places have been great and so has the admin.! A real bonus considering I spent 7 years at Greenville HS where the admin (or, at least one of them) was not so great. I live in Mauldin so I do make the opposite drive you made every day. Pretty easy because I don't fight traffic going either way.

No one ever gives the small school kids any credit.... The Murphy kid is tough. I did see him change weights at specific tournaments to help himself. People think that the kids from all the big schools are better because the kids can specialize. The small schools have to share the athletes. Doesnt mean a kid is better than another.

Somebody will get on here later and say "I never said the kid wasnt tough" but in your mind you think Caspio or Hoffman are better because they are big school kids

No one ever gives the small school kids any credit.... The Murphy kid is tough. I did see him change weights at specific tournaments to help himself. People think that the kids from all the big schools are better because the kids can specialize. The small schools have to share the athletes. Doesnt mean a kid is better than another.

Somebody will get on here later and say "I never said the kid wasnt tough" but in your mind you think Caspio or Hoffman are better because they are big school kids

I think I acknowledged that kids from small schools 1/2A can be tough to evaluate. I put together my Top 10 from what I have seen and all the research I was able to do. I'm sure Murphy is a great wrestler, might be one of the best P4P in the state, I just haven't seen him and couldn't find enough to put him their initially. I hope to see him in action at some point this season.

Please feel free to put together your list, as mine certainly isn't the authority/end all say all.

I will humbly add some perspective though it is dated. Caspio and Murphy wrestled 2 years ago at West Oak invite. Cole was impressive and won by decision, I think 7-4. That was their only encounter. I am sure each boy has progressed even more since. Caspio also wrestled Mansfield 2 years ago at Coastal Clash. Trevor won in a very close 1-0 match. Again, I am sure both have matured as wrestlers since as they both compete outside HS folkstyle.

I think the world has a tendency to stereotype. It's our nature, but as with all stereotypes, there are exceptions. Cole and Trevor are both great wrestlers regardless of what Class their school is in. They deserve to be mentioned.

Reactions: Jasonwilkins
I will humbly add some perspective though it is dated. Caspio and Murphy wrestled 2 years ago at West Oak invite. Cole was impressive and won by decision, I think 7-4. That was their only encounter. I am sure each boy has progressed even more since. Caspio also wrestled Mansfield 2 years ago at Coastal Clash. Trevor won in a very close 1-0 match. Again, I am sure both have matured as wrestlers since as they both compete outside HS folkstyle.

I think the world has a tendency to stereotype. It's our nature, but as with all stereotypes, there are exceptions. Cole and Trevor are both great wrestlers regardless of what Class their school is in. They deserve to be mentioned.

I appreciate the insight and congratulations on your sons State Championship. He beat a very good young man in Hayden Prince. Hayden is a kid that I feel like could find himself in the Top 5 by middle of next season. He is working his butt off and doing all the things he needs to do to pursue his goals.

My list was trying to capture where I saw things post State and NHSCA/Flo.

Maybe we need to get together like some states have and create a SC Who's #1 to kick off the season.

My son competed in the middle school division at the NHSCA and I helped coach a few kids from South Carolina. During the down time I walked around and watched a few SC kids wrestle, and I met Jacob Brasseur and his father. I was very impressed with him on and off the mat! He's a great kid and I think he will really do well! Wonderful family and he's been coached well!

SButler,

TBowe

Freshman Year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT